SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Pokemon has 6 people right now and Zelda has 5 as of Brawl

According to Sakurai the alternate forms/pokemon of the trainer count as their own

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd point out that Mario had 5 "reps" in Melee as well, and that didn't result in the other franchises getting any more reps.

And as Jedi pointed out, Sakurai counts characters, not roster "slots."

Yoshi represents his own franchise, as does Wario.

As for your second point, I KNOW. I just said that. I'm still talking about character slots.

He meant Dr Mario. Not Yoshi or Wario

Well, then even more so, the point is, I do hope that Sakurai expands on other franchises with less representation or with fanbases asking for certain characters like, mostly, Krystal and Palutena. I haven't heard anyone else want Mona/Ashley but those two are just my own wants. And then of course more for the unrepresented series like Punch Out and Golden Sun who have gotten reboots since Brawl.

Edited by Naui

Well, then even more so, the point is, I do hope that Sakurai expands on other franchises with less representation or with fanbases asking for certain characters like, mostly, Krystal and Palutena. I haven't heard anyone else want Mona/Ashley but those two are just my own wants. And then of course more for the unrepresented fighters like Punch Out and Golden Sun who have gotten reboots since Brawl.

Palutena is highly wanted currently. Krystal has such a huge hate base compared to her fans its crazy if she got into smash sparks would fly despite her unique possibilities.

Little Mac has a pretty good shot.

Isaac I'm not sure of even as my most wanted new character I'm.. not sure if he'll make it

Well, then even more so, the point is, I do hope that Sakurai expands on other franchises with less representation

Agreed on this point. Honestly I wouldn't really care if Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, and Mother stuck with their Brawl characters.

The franchises that need more representation are Donkey Kong(seriously, how the hell did it take 3 games for DK to get 2 characters?), Metroid(Ridley plz), and, IMO, F-Zero and Kid Icarus.

Palutena is highly wanted currently. Krystal has such a huge hate base compared to her fans its crazy if she got into smash sparks would fly despite her unique possibilities.

Little Mac has a pretty good shot.

Isaac I'm not sure of even as my most wanted new character I'm.. not sure if he'll make it

Add Fire Emblem to that list. I feel Awakenings success gives us reason to have 3

I know about Palutena and she'd make an interesting mage/magic character and Little Mac has a huge following. Krystal, don't know why the hate, she'd be unique, but I suppose her hate based more from the "terrible" game she originated from, so either way, not likely but I can hope. Isaac, well, he's wishful thinking for me and others.

Well Marth's in, Ike is different enough and somewhat popular enough to return, and for Awakening, Chrom might since Lucina would end up being a one-off Marth.

Agreed on this point. Honestly I wouldn't really care if Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, and Mother stuck with their Brawl characters.

The franchises that need more representation are Donkey Kong(seriously, how the hell did it take 3 games for DK to get 2 characters?), Metroid(Ridley plz), and, IMO, F-Zero and Kid Icarus.

Oh yeah, perhaps Dixie Kong might get added or King K. Rool. I'd like Ridley too, but I think his chances are small. F-Zero is a rather questionable one since there hasn't been a game since 2004, and his characters aren't well known aside from Samurai Goroh and perhaps Jody Summers. And I'm all for another Kid Icarus rep.

Edited by Naui

Krystal's hate is an odd thing heck I liked star fox adventures and assault.

I think its because of the furry fandom she carries, seriously you go on smash boards and say anything remotely positive about Krystal you are called a furry and that you like her just because she is "hot" to you and that Nintendo is falling to "fanservice"

that and people who don't like the idea of Fox being tied down.

There also are those who are off the opinion that she wasn't needed in the star fox universe.

Then there are the Yaoi Fox/Falco shippers.. *shivers*

Edited by Jedi Fon Fabre

My Current Dream Roster (I revise this a lot). All non-confirmed characters have a percentage chance (it would obviously always be 100% for confirmed characters, so I didn't bother putting it). No one who hasn't been confirmed has a 100% chance in my opinion, but veterans who are incredibly unlikely to be cut have a 95%-99.9% (99.9% = I cannot think of a single reason why this character would be cut, but they're still not at 100% because nothing is certain. Other numbers in that range indicate I can possibly craft an argument as to why, but see it as incredibly unlikely that they would be removed) chance. Also, no one who hasn't been explicitly been deconfirmed will have a 0% chance, no matter how unlikely.

Mario Series: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Geno (0.0001%)

Zelda Series: Link, Zelda (Sheik has a 90%), Toon Link, Ganondorf (99.9%, With New Moveset: 1%), Groose (2%)

Pokemon Series: Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer (75%), Meowth (10%), Mewtwo (75%), Greninja (2%) [Cuts: Jigglypuff (98% Chance of Returning), Lucario (50% Chance of Returning)]

Fire Emblem Series: Marth, Ike (55%), Lucina (15%), Tharja (0.1%)

Kid Icarus Series: Pit, Palutena (65%), Magnus (45%)

Kirby Series: Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight (98%)

Star Fox Series: Fox, Wolf (45%), Krystal (20%) [Cuts: Falco (95% Chance of Returning)]

Donkey Kong Series: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong (99.9%), Dixie Kong (65%), K. Rool (10%)

Metroid Series: Samus, Ridley (30%)

Earthbound/Mother Series: Ness (99.9%), Lucas (50%)

F-Zero Series: Captain Falcon (99.9%), Black Shadow (5%)

Xenoblade Series: Shulk (25%), Reyn (0.001%)

Single-Character Series: Olimar, Sonic, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, Yoshi (99.9%), Ice Climbers (99.9%), Mr. Game and Watch (99.9%), Wario (99.9%), ROB (55%), Snake (20%), Little Mac (70%), Isaac (5%), Duck Hunt Dog (5%), Banjo and Kazooie (0.0001%. See why not 0% below)

A few notes:

1. Banjo and Kazooie don't have a 0% chance because, several months ago, a rumor was floating around that Nintendo was in talks with Rare to buy the Banjo-Kazooie IP. I didn't hear anything else about it afterward, so I'm virtually positive that the rumor was fake, or, on the off chance it was real, Microsoft didn't let Rare make the sale. However, this rumor is the reason why I have even the slimmest bit of hope (not much hope, as evidenced by the fact that I gave Banjo and Kazooie the same odds as Geno, the punch line of unlikely characters).

2. Black Shadow is on my list because I think he'd be a good choice to inherit Ganondorf's Falcon-clone style and allow Ganondorf to have his own, more fitting moveset while still giving people who were used to the old Ganondorf an option to play as in the new game.

3. I'd rather have Wolf returning over Falco returning because Wolf is a more major character (in my opinion) in the Star Fox Series. And because I'm still bitter about Falco being an annoying jerkass to me in Star Fox 64 when I was a little kid, while Wolf was a cool badass villain in the same game. Unfortunately, being a veteran of two Smash games gives Falco better odds of returning than Wolf.

4. Greninja is the only sixth gen Pokemon I can think of that is both incredibly popular and has a design that wouldn't look weird in a Smash Bros. game. Most of the sixth gen Pokemon I like more than Greninja are either quadrupeds or have designs that would be ill-suited to Smash.

5. I put Lucina in instead of Chrom simply because I like her better and this is my list. Not that I'd mind Chrom being in (and I'd think it would be especially cool if he kept his English voice, since Matthew Mercer is the creator of the awesome Smash-related video series "There Will Be Brawl"). I'd place Chrom's odds at 70%, in case you were curious.

6. Tharja is on my list simply because I like her character, she is from the most recent game, she's popular, and she'd have a moveset distinct from the other characters of her series. The last three of those would probably cause her odds to be much higher if it weren't for the fact that I don't see a non-lord getting in.

7. Meowth is the only one of the characters that were planned for the original Nintendo 64 game that hasn't been in a Smash Bros. game yet, which is the only reason why its odds aren't 1% or below. Meowth's actually on my list, however, because I fondly remember Team Rocket from when I was young and watched the anime.

8. K. Rool's odds are so low despite his popularity because I get the feeling Nintendo is giving the big lizard (and by extension the Kremlings) the shaft in the DKC revival series and trying to bring in new, far less interesting villains.

9. I put two Xenoblade reps on because it's easily the best game on the Wii and one of my favorite games of all time. Also, I want to play as Reyn and shout out some if his quotes from the game while I'm fighting my friends.

10. The reason why every Brawl veteran except for Wolf and Snake has 50% odds or better is because Sakurai stated that he was hurt by the criticism he received for cutting certain characters. Wolf's odds are slightly lower than 50% because he's a second Fox Clone and I'm pretty sure Sakurai also said that some characters will still be cut in this game. Snake is only at 20% simply because there's a decent chance that Konami may not give Nintendo the rights to use him again for whatever reason.

Edit: Added Little Mac, and put most of the post in spoiler tags to decrease the size.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

Tisk people still call Falco and Wolf clones despite minor similarities.

Falco in Melee was. Falco in Brawl? Not even close

Look at nearly every A move of Wolfs or Falcos do you see any of the same moves? Falco shares like 2 kicks with Fox. Wolf is his own brutal claw style

Their blasters all work differently, their B's while similar have many MANY different properties

Edited by Jedi Fon Fabre

I don't know much about certain franchises, so I'm just going to list my wants for the ones I DO know a lot about.

Zelda: Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Ghirahim/Vaati (either one, I love both these guys!)

Mario: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Rosalina, Daisy (I know she has like no chance now, but I still love her. xP)

Pokemon: (listed this one earlier)

Fire Emblem: Ike, Marth, Ephraim (badass lance lord!), Chrom/Awakening Avatar (I dislike Lucina, sorry)

Donkey Kong: DK, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong (she's adorable!), King K. Rool (he's the villain)

Third Party: Mickey Mouse

I know FE probably won't get four reps, but I still love Ephraim. :P

About Mickey: I know he's moreso a tv character, but Disney has made a lot of games for Nintendo consoles, so it would be really nice of Ninty to thank them by including Mickey in Smash Bros. Plus, Disney Infinity seems to have been a hot seller, and the Epic Mickey games got a lot of attention at E3s. Oh yeah, and how about Kingdom Hearts? That was a Disney collaboration featuring Mickey Mouse and company.

Edited by Anacybele

You know that Sakurai has said that Third Parties must have originated in a video game, right?

I do. But it doesn't mean he's not allowed to make an exception. Besides, this guy's been known to change his mind entirely. :P

I do. But it doesn't mean he's not allowed to make an exception. Besides, this guy's been known to change his mind entirely. :P

....you're not serious, right?

You do know that Sakurai once stated that there wouldn't ever be an Animal Crossing rep, right? But we got Villager.

Sakurai changed his mund once on whether a character was suited to fighting, therefore he'll change his mind on whether non-video game characters are eligible to bee included in Smash Bros.

Makes perfect sense. rolleyes.gif

Tisk people still call Falco and Wolf clones despite minor similarities.

Falco in Melee was. Falco in Brawl? Not even close

Look at nearly every A move of Wolfs or Falcos do you see any of the same moves? Falco shares like 2 kicks with Fox. Wolf is his own brutal claw style

Their blasters all work differently, their B's while similar have many MANY different properties

Yeah, Falco isn't a clone anymore as he was in melee, he's a one-off character now in Brawl. Fox and Falco have a lot of similarities with each other in terms of their basic attacks but some attacks are completely different. Not to mention that though their specials are the same, they have different properties such as their blasters and, not to mention how they execute their Reflectors now. But anyways, that's enough about the blind eye people.

As for my own characters I'd want to see in Smash 4, my list is below. Only Wii Fit Trainer was added when they confirmed her:

Mario: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Rosalina

LoZ:Link, Zelda/Shiek, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Toon Zelda/Tetra

Pokémon: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, Pokémon Trainer, Victini

FE: Marth, Ike, Chrom

DK: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool

Starfox: Fox, Falco, Krystal

WarioWare: Wario, Mona

Mother: Ness, Lucas

Kid Icarus: Pit, Palutena

Kirby: Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Adeleine

Metroid: Samus/Zero Suit Samus

Other Nintendo: C. Falcon, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Mr. G&W, Olimar, AC Villager, Isaac (Golden Sun), Little Mac (Punch Out!!), Custom Robo, Wii Fit Trainer

3rd Party: Sonic, Snake, MegaMan, Pac-Man/Lloyd Irving (Since Namco is helping to develop it)