So I decided to map a general Fire Emblem plot

Awkward prologue that shows life before tragedy

Easy first 3 chapters involving bandits attacking

surprise invasion by country that 'was so peaceful for the past 5 years', known to be most powerful on planet

appeal to second strongest country on continent

failure to receive substantial assistance

personal matter involving death of loved one

automatic promotion

gaining of legendary weapon

defeat of antagonist manipulator

stronger final boss

several characters who are myrmidons disappear without a trace

Individual results may vary

Edited by GabrielKnight

"several characters who are myrmidons disappear without a trace"

Hah! That was actually pretty funny.

As for the plot, I like the idea of life being as normal and bandits simply attacking for a few chapters as opposed to starting with some sort of plot. It's like a cold opening and could be used to help get the players engaged in the characters. A bit of a cold opening. It would be difficult to pull it off without seeming monotonous, but far from impossible. I've only played Fe7/8//10/13, so i wouldn't know if it's been done.

I feel like your missing some key events/filler in between failure to receive assistance and death of a loved one. Otherwise, it could definitely work. If you do want expand on this idea, I would suggest expanding on the idea. I've made my own fan game outline on this site. It's surprisingly fun, and it's a really good exercise in developing a story.

If you aren't interested and did this for kicks and giggles, than you shouldn't sweat it. Still, having the idea of expanding on it wouldn't hurt you if it was stuck in the back of your head.

the only reason bandits are used earlygame is to give the swordwielding lord a fair start on levels

notice how radiant dawn starts with only 1 chapter of bandits ever and coincidentally the lord uses magicks

(thracia is an exception)

Edited by Agro

the only reason bandits are used earlygame is to give the swordwielding lord a fair start on levels

notice how radiant dawn starts with only 1 chapter of bandits ever and coincidentally the lord uses magicks

(thracia is an exception)

Which is why the next lord definitely needs to wield something different. I like swords, but lances and axes need their fair share of spotlight time as well.

Bandits are also used because it's realistic for them to be weaker than trained enemy soldiers. However, I decided to put a little twist on that in my fic... Hehe.

Easy first 3 chapters involving bandits attacking

Many times those chapters are actually the hardest, especially on harder difficulties.

Also, on every FE I've played (7,8,9,10,13) the second most powerful country give a big help.

Edited by Nobody

Probably the most egregious of those is the invasion of the "good country" by the much stronger "evil country" and the exile of the former's royalty. I find it easy to think of FE7 as being exceptional for not having those particular tropes.

As for the plot, I like the idea of life being as normal and bandits simply attacking for a few chapters as opposed to starting with some sort of plot. It's like a cold opening and could be used to help get the players engaged in the characters. A bit of a cold opening. It would be difficult to pull it off without seeming monotonous, but far from impossible. I've only played Fe7/8//10/13, so i wouldn't know if it's been done.

It happens in FE7 and 9, for sure; the bandits fought by Lyn and Ike in their first few chapters (generally) have no connection to the Big Bad of their respective games. (One of the bandit leaders fought by Lyn had been hired by Lundgren, but she also fought about five who weren't.)

I think the pirates and bandits in the first few chapters of FE1/11 serve the same role as well.

Edited by Paper Jam