What if Final Smashes could backfire?

IceBrand

Well, maybe if they added a joke character and it only backfires for him or her it would work imo, for me it would be funny and frustrating at the same time.

Going off topic I don't know if you played Soul Calibur 5 or psp one but there's this character named Dampierre where some of his moves backfires randomly and it's both beneficial and harmful in some cases. Which is rather hilarious to me.

Edited by Generic Operator

What the heck at that Captain Falcon haha

Marth's Final Smash in Brawl COULD backfire, though it was more in the sense that if you missed when you activated the Smash in the air and you were too close to the edge, you'd just fall to your doom (sort of like C. Falcon's in the video but less confusing as to what actually happens). Quite honestly I think that's a more effective way of making Final Smashes have risk rather than leaving it up to the RNG to do something to you. You've already fought for the Final Smash, so if it doesn't work then it would feel kind of lame that you spent the time to break the Smash Ball before all of your opponents.

If they replaced tripling with final smash RNG failure, I think people would be pretty displeased by it.

In Brawl you can already fail to use some of them (like Link or Meta Knight's) or miss anyways, (like Mario or Zelda's) though those are your faults.

Also, I'm pretty sure that's due to C. Falcon sliding on the ice.

You know what would be interesting? A fake smash ball that damages you instead of giving you the final smash. Or acts as a bomb upon contact. That would be incredibly cruel.

Marth's final smash has backfired on me plenty of times. I'll just fly off the screen and die.

You know what would be interesting? A fake smash ball that damages you instead of giving you the final smash. Or acts as a bomb upon contact. That would be incredibly cruel.

Marth's final smash has backfired on me plenty of times. I'll just fly off the screen and die.

The smash ball idea is good if the final hit damages the user, and if it explodes then it would encourage people to use anger attacks on it after the first few hits.

As for missing with Marth, that's probably you mis-predicting your target or you being outplayed. You can't just fly across the stage in their general direction. You need to use it when they're trapped in a corner or hit in a way where they can't move up/down.

Many Final Smashes can fail or even backfire already. With some though, it's not so easy to get a backfire, like with Ike's. Great Aether will only do so on a stage like Mushroom Kingdom. Trust me, I've had it happen. xP

I'd like it to add to the chaotic fun of Smash.

But those sore winners who love competing certainly won't. Then again, competitives probably won't have the Smashballs on in the first place.

I'd be fine with seeing any kind of variety added to the Final Smash mechanic, really. It's not exactly balanced to begin with, and adding a potential backfire isn't going to validate it in competitive play anyway. It could make for some great fun and laughs, which are rather the purpose of Final Smashes.