RPG Recommendations?

Ice Sage

Wow. Surprised no one mentioned Lunar: Silver Star Story (I recommend either Complete or Harmony, though if for some reason you can play the original Sega CD version it's worth a try too). Eternal Blue (Complete), the sequel, is also worth a look at.

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom and Lufia II: Rise of the SInistrals are also RPGs I recommend. Pretty much everything else I would suggest has been suggested unless you're also interested in PC RPGs (if so, I'll list some of those too I guess).

Wow. Surprised no one mentioned Lunar: Silver Star Story (I recommend either Complete or Harmony, though if for some reason you can play the original Sega CD version it's worth a try too). Eternal Blue (Complete), the sequel, is also worth a look at.

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom and Lufia II: Rise of the SInistrals are also RPGs I recommend. Pretty much everything else I would suggest has been suggested unless you're also interested in PC RPGs (if so, I'll list some of those too I guess).

*smacks forehead* How the f*ck did I forget Lunar?!

But yes, I second Lunar, both Silver Star and Eternal Blue, though I've technically only played the PSP version of Silver Star after my sister broke the PS1 version.

I just happened to remember another obscure game I played long ago, so much that I actually forgot everything about it except for the beginning; Okage: Shadow King. From what very little I remember of it, it's a turn based strategy with several.....quirks. The art style and character design I remember being very different as well from the usual. Try seeing if you can find it and maybe give it a shot! (though I'm not sure how easy it will be to find...)

I like the Sega CD version over the PS1. I didn't mind the no random encounter, no battle on overhead map, different CS changes, but changing the main battle theme was a major turnoff. Also there is a plot hole on the PS1 version. Lunar series is good but Grandia series is the best RPG series made by Game Arts.

Highly recommend Panzer Dragoon Saga. Probably one of the least known RPG game that got incredible review scores from every video game magazines at release. While the game is excellent. There was only 18,000 copies released in the US. I was one of the fortunate people who reserved this game for $60. It's a very good game but definately not worth the insane price what people are asking now days.

Dragon Force and Dragon Force II which has a partial English translation is also very fun and unique SRPG games.

I already mentioned Skies of Arcadia but play this game if you haven't already. Best RPG game on the Dreamcast and Game Cube.

Siege of Avalon is a very old yet interesting PC game. And of course, someone forgot to mention the marvelous Star Ocean games, they are on ps1,ps2 and snes. Xenogear and Legend of the dragoon from ps1 are also very good(godlike) games.

Edited by Char

Yes, definitely try Star Ocean! Star Ocean 'Till the End of Time is one of my favorite games for the PS2 (I don't have a 360 or PS3, so I haven't played the SO games for those...)!

Also try the Super Robot Taisen OG games. They have amazing music and are generally awesome.

I also wanna support Etrian Odyssey IV. Damn this game is cool, a total newb to the series like me got addicted to the demo. XD

Suikoden II...!

If you've never played it then please play it. It's quite good ; u ;

SNES

Earthbound/ Mother

Seiken Densetsu 3 (The Mana series might be a tad outdated for some people, but I think they're pretty fun even til now. And 3's my favorite for the SNES)

Terranigma (It gets a bit depressing later on but the story's really interesting)

Star Ocean

Tales of Phantasia (This has a PS release)

Final Fantasy VI (My favorite FF ; u ; )

PS1

Suikoden II - Haha, sorry if I'm persistent but you have to play it. Play 1 too! But 1 hasn't aged all too well imo so you might want to start with II and see how you like it.

Chrono Cross - Trigger fans have really mixed opinions with Cross but I thought it was a pretty good game. Just not the sequel I was expecting but it's pretty good regardless. The music and graphics are quite amazing

Tales of Destiny - My favorite Tales game. I generally love light-hearted and funny character interactions so I have a soft spot for Destiny

Threads of Fate/ Dewprism - Super fun, despite how kiddie it might look!

Azure Dreams - This game is so unknown but man it's such a fun roguelike. I really recommend it.

Lunar series - I love the classic love story this game plays up. It's so refreshing given how the male protag's usually so clueless about the affection of their love interest orz

Wild Arms 1 and 2 - I prefer 1 a whole lot more, but 2's pretty good too! Ashley was just... really broody for me haha. 1 got a remake for the PS2 if you'd prefer to play that c:

Breath of Fire III and IV - I've only played IV but my friend who's played II-V says III is the best so it must be worth playing too!

Legend of Mana - I love the storybook feel of this game. It also had absolutely amazing music. This game introduced me to Shimomura Yoko, who went on to compose for the Kingdom Hearts series.

Arc the Lad series - It's tactics and it's quite fun. The story's... okay I suppose. It's not very grand but I think the fun gameplay makes up for whatever the story lacks.

Legend of Dragoon

Valkyrie Profile

Xenogears

Vagrant Story

Legend of Legaia

Final Fantasy Tactics and FF9 - 9's the only PS1 FF I've played so it's the only one I can recommend.

Grandia - Hmm. I'm not sure how well Grandia's aged, to be honest. But it's pretty fun since it's quite classic of an RPG. Nothing says RPG like teenagers off for an adventure! But you might want to start with II or III first since the stories aren't really connected.

Thousand Arms - It's pretty fun in its own right, I think... But the story's not the deepest thing out there xD;

Alundra - The Alundra games were actually pretty fun, if not reminiscent of the Zelda games.

Megaman Legends and Misadventures of Tron Bonne were also really fun. Rhapsody's pretty fun too but it's quite kiddie. The story's also really silly so it might not be your cup of tea...?

PS2

Tales of Legendia - This Tales game honestly made me cry. Twice ;; The epilogue chapters are really moving. My other Tales favorite along with Phantasia and Destiny.

Dark Cloud 1 and 2

Rogue Galaxy - Level-5 makes some of my absolute favorite RPGs!

Shadow Hearts series - So underrated but man. I really like the Shadow Hearts series... ... ... E-Except the third one. I'm not too sure how to feel about it.

Radiata Stories - Personally, I think Radiata Stories is tri-Ace's best game so I really recommend you give it a play.

Suikoden III and V - I highly recommend V. The constant load times can kind of detract from the experience but the story's really good-- Almost as good as II imo

Wild Arms 3 - I think 3's my favorite out of all the WA games

Odin Sphere - Dear god the hand painted sprites of this game are beautiful orz

Okami - Super fun and super recommended!

Grandia II and III

Xenosaga - The story's a bit convoluted at times, but it's a rather interesting RPG experience.

Ar tonelico I and II - In usual Gust nature, the story can be a bit silly at times, but man. This game has really amazing music D:

Atelier Iris series - They're pretty strong RPGs in their own right.

.hack series - The gameplay can get rather repetitive but I found the story interesting. The whole friendship system the game has with party members was also quite cool.

PS3

Atelier series - Rorona, Totori, Meruru and Ayesha. The Arland Atelier games are actually my favorite out of all of the Atelier groups out there. The main characters are all... too... cute...!!! The thing with the Arland games though is that it's less focused on a linear story (compared to Iris) and instead focus more on the chracter events you can trigger while in town. It's can be comparable to a visual novel at times rather than your typical RPG but if you're patient with it, it's a really enjoyable experience xD

Valkyria Chronicles - Very fun, with a very good story. I cannot recommend Valkyria Chronicles enough.

Ni no Kuni

Resonance of Fate - I found Resonance of Fate's gameplay to be really interesting, though the game does a poor job of explaining it (Especially the damage types!). The story's done in an episodic way, only revealing the main plot after a few good hours in the game. All in all though, Resonance of Fate's a pretty good game.

Dragon Age - I think Dragon Age was the game that introduced me to Bioware and WRPGs. It's quite good...! This has a PC release as well. I also recommend the Mass Effect games if you haven't played it yet.

Uncharted series

Dragon's Dogma

Heavy Rain, LA Noire and The Last of Us - I grouped these together because they all feel more like interactive movies than a video games. They're all very good games though. I really recommend The Last of Us if you've yet to play it.

Nier - A game with a really good story, as well as really good music. Hands down the best soundtrack I've heard in years ;;

I also liked Bayonetta, but it might not be for everyone xD

I'm also looking forward to the releases of Dragon's Crown (More Vanillaware. Yes please.) and Beyond: Two Souls (From Quantic Dream, who also brought you Heavy Rain. On the topic of Quantum Dream! That test is pretty old but still...)

Edited by pinkbubblegum

Terranigma, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia

Yesyesyes play these. Also some other pretty good obscure RPGs - Treasure of the Rudras (translation patch, SNES game), Bahamut Lagoon (SNES), and I like Jade Empire on original Xbox/PC for some reason.

Actually, I've barely seen any PC RPGs. Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, System Shock 2, Diablo 1 & 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (I haven't played it, but it looks cool), Fallout 1 & 2, the Ultima series, Deus Ex, the Elder Scrolls series, the Witcher series.

I mean there's pretty much too many to count.

Edited by Kelsper

Yesyesyes play these. Also some other pretty good obscure RPGs - Treasure of the Rudras (translation patch, SNES game), Bahamut Lagoon (SNES), and I like Jade Empire on original Xbox/PC for some reason.

Those references to your Let's Plays of them =P

Edited by Interest

What consoles do you own, TC?

N64, PS2, PS3, Gamecube, Wii, X360, and 3DS

Actually, I've barely seen any PC RPGs. Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, System Shock 2, Diablo 1 & 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (I haven't played it, but it looks cool), Fallout 1 & 2, the Ultima series, Deus Ex, the Elder Scrolls series, the Witcher series.

I mean there's pretty much too many to count.

Awesome

Thanks Kelsper =D

PS3/PSN (because most of these are pretty cheap):

Valkyria Chronicles - A strategy RPG with third-person shooter mechanics, a breathtaking art style, and a great soundtrack. At around $25 for a copy here in the US, this game's a serious steal for its quality.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - Probably the first true traditional RPG in years, Ni no Kuni is a love letter to old-gen JRPG's on the PS1, and shares both their good and bad qualities. But beyond that is a genuinely fun and colorful game, strongly influenced by its Ghibli art and soundtrack, and its Level-5 gameplay quality.

Chrono Cross - A big steal for $6 on the PSN. Chrono Cross is second only to Suikoden II in my opinion as my favorite PS1-era JRPG, and for good reason: it's got a lot of great gameplay features (no random encounters, New Game+, ability to Fast-Forward gameplay, unique grind-free leveling mechanics, lots and lots of replayability), and it's got an outstanding soundtrack by Yasunori Mitsuda. If you're coming from Chrono Trigger, you will either love the game for its references to Chrono Trigger, or hate it for its references to Chrono Trigger, and maybe the fact that you may have preferred CT's gameplay over CC. Nonetheless, it's still a well-crafted game, and it's well worth the price.

PS2/Disc-based PS1/PSP:

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth/Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria - the best two games that Tri-Ace ever made. Valkyrie Profile is a great mix of 2D sidescroller elements and a turn-based version of the Tales series' combo system.

The Suikoden Series - If you get your hands on all 5 Suikoden games, you're not only very lucky, but you also got the best RPG series ever made. No other series has better storylines, more expansive lore, and more interesting characters than the Suikoden series. It's kind of a shame that Konami has all but abandoned the series, and only Suikoden 1 is readily available on the PSN, while the rest of the series, including the fan-favorite Suikoden II, are all very expensive purchases on Amazon or eBay.

The real big problem with PS1/PS2 recommendations is that the discs are either expensive or do not exist anymore, and therefore it's actually easier to either use a hacked PSP or a PC emulator to play them (I do not endorse piracy, I am simply stating fact). Out of all the games everyone down, only Persona 3 and 4 are readily available, since you can get Persona 3 as a PS2 Classic on PSN, and if you get a Vita, you can (and should) get Persona 4: The Golden.

Of course, I'll recommend getting the 3 PS1 Final Fantasy games (7,8,9) as well as Final Fantasy X once the HD remaster comes out if you haven't play any of them, as, yes, they are popular, but for good reason.

Finally, I won't personally recommend the Tales games not because I dislike Tales, but because I haven't played enough of them to make a recommendation.

Edited by Keiya