What stops you from committing suicide, anyway?

deleted35362

I think maybe the reason why I sometimes cope with depression is the fact that I can't really "connect" with most other people.

When I was in high school I was the only person in my year who was a big video-game buff and a person who didn't really place much value in social relationships, possibly due to bad experiences involving my classmates.

It was only when I was about 20 that I started desiring relationships with other people. However, thanks to my years of solitude and indifference towards most people (I like to think that my social skills are at least average), I have little to no experience with forming or maintaining rapport with other people. This loneliness may be the largest contributing factor to my depression and thoughts of suicide.

But I do try to cope, as seen earlier in this thread.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think maybe the reason why I sometimes cope with depression is the fact that I can't really "connect" with most other people.

you explained why you may sometimes have thoughts of suicide, but what exactly stops you from committing suicide? what mentality helps you parry off the urges to take your own life?

that was a most pristine shitpost. please tell me, where do you get you're inspiration?

Reality and logic. There is no reasons whatsoever to commit suicide except naivety or weakness. People that do it don't know how life works. Can't say it's sad since it's their choice. Being sad about someone committing suicide would be disrespecting that person's choice.

When a person is about to fuck up I tell person to not fuck up. You can't be an adult for everyone all the time. It's up to said person to not fuck up. If said person can't do the things I said in previous post without being afraid then they certainly want to live so they aren't suicidal.

When I was in high school I was the only person in my year who was a big video-game buff and a person who didn't really place much value in social relationships, possibly due to bad experiences involving my classmates.

It was only when I was about 20 that I started desiring relationships with other people. However, thanks to my years of solitude and indifference towards most people (I like to think that my social skills are at least average), I have little to no experience with forming or maintaining rapport with other people. This loneliness may be the largest contributing factor to my depression and thoughts of suicide.

But I do try to cope, as seen earlier in this thread.

You are not alone. I don't give a fuck about social relationships and I accepted it, I'm an introvert. It's really hard to try and be interested in everyone but it's much easier to just be nice to them and just answer whenever someone talks to you. If you do it correctly you'll blend in just fine. Just remember that 90 % people are too busy with their own problems and insecurities to really care about whether or not you form rapport with them. You don't have to feel bad about being alone. If you don't like being by yourself then you don't like yourself. You need to like yourself before being okay with liking other people. And even then you don't absolutely need to like other people.

Don't buy into society's bullshit '' It's okay to be with friends 100 % of the time'' '' Being alone is boring'' '' you must be so sad etc''

Here's how to cure depression :

http://boldanddetermined.com/2011/11/16/how-to-cure-depression-the-old-fashioned-way/

Heck read the whole blog it's awesome.

"Take up some manly hobby’s and quit the feminine nonsense. If you’re not a girl, don’t act like one."

lolnope.

Reality and logic. There is no reasons whatsoever to commit suicide except naivety or weakness. People that do it don't know how life works. Can't say it's sad since it's their choice. Being sad about someone committing suicide would be disrespecting that person's choice.

If a person wants to go through with committing suicide it's very likely that they have a mental illness of some kind. I don't pretend to know what it feels like to want to commit suicide, and I hope I never have to.

Edited by Kelsper

When a person is about to fuck up I tell person to not fuck up. You can't be an adult for everyone all the time. It's up to said person to not fuck up. If said person can't do the things I said in previous post without being afraid then they certainly want to live so they aren't suicidal.

I'd recommend that you read up a little, from the sounds of it, you're lacking the empathy necessary to understand these things. Just because you wouldn't commit suicide, doesn't mean that the same applies for other people. Suicide is often a last resort for those who are unable to cope with their lives. Rather than call them weak and stupid, maybe you should think about why people do it. A lot of people who commit suicide have underlying problems, which will often reduce their ability to cope by other methods.

You are not alone. I don't give a fuck about social relationships and I accepted it, I'm an introvert. It's really hard to try and be interested in everyone but it's much easier to just be nice to them and just answer whenever someone talks to you. If you do it correctly you'll blend in just fine. Just remember that 90 % people are too busy with their own problems and insecurities to really care about whether or not you form rapport with them. You don't have to feel bad about being alone. If you don't like being by yourself then you don't like yourself. You need to like yourself before being okay with liking other people. And even then you don't absolutely need to like other people.

Don't buy into society's bullshit '' It's okay to be with friends 100 % of the time'' '' Being alone is boring'' '' you must be so sad etc''

Again, you lack the empathy to understand other people's feelings. You might be happy being alone, but a lot of people deeply enjoy positive social interaction. Don't give me that introvert jazz, introvert /= minimal social contact. You don't have to be friends with everyone, but I don't really understand your hatred of having friends.

Here's how to cure depression :

http://boldanddetermined.com/2011/11/16/how-to-cure-depression-the-old-fashioned-way/

Heck read the whole blog it's awesome.

Fun fact: The elderly are the group most likely to suffer from depression, not teenagers. The blog also contradicts itself, antideressants shouldn't be used to fix chemical imbalances, no? Then why does it suggest that you get your testosterone checked and fixed by a doctor?

The site is run by a guy called Victor Pride, who claims to be a spartan and eats steak and eggs every day so he can be like a lion. If you really think advice from this guy is any good, I'd recommend you see a real doctor yourself.

@bludabe

That blog isnt awesome, it's dumb and wrong about pretty much everything.

I have personally been diagnosed with severe depressive disorder. I take antidepressant daily.

My depsression was caused by, amongst others, being physically and mentally abused, ignored and/or bullied/persecuted at school, seeing my mother having a mental breakdown, seeing someone commit suicide, and various other things.

The author of that stupid blog of yours jumps to an incredibly stupid conclusion: depression is caused by being a lazy bum. While in reality he's mistaking the cause for the effect. One of the more common symptoms of depression is that it's very difficult to go and do something, and as far as I am aware of the science on this matter, this is the result of reduced availability of one or two substances in the brain. The first of these is serotonine, which is neurotransmitter. The second is the PTFD3 protein.

Why is the reduced availability caused? Because that's how the human body really works. How susceptible you are to these changes, and the base availability depends on your genetic coding. After that, what happens to you can cause changes in that, eg if you get less happy stimulus your body will structurally adapt and start producing less of something, which leads to reduced availability of this something. If this something is what causes your feeling of happiness, you end up being structurally less happy.

And just for your information, antidepressants increase the availability of PTFD3 and serotonine. In reality, they do work and they're very helpful for people who became so depressed they, per example, stopped eating and drinking. Like me, just before my intake.

you explained why you may sometimes have thoughts of suicide, but what exactly stops you from committing suicide? what mentality helps you parry off the urges to take your own life?

I usually just visualize a future where everything that's bothering me now is a non-issue and then strive to make that future real somehow.

I usually just visualize a future where everything that's bothering me now is a non-issue and then strive to make that future real somehow.

I. . .y'know what? I think I'll try this the next time things get out of hand. Thanks~!

that's a very good answer in my opinion. when i started this topic, all that stopped me was "i'm too afraid of death to go through with it", but after brightening up a little, i started to lean more towards this. i...want to be a better person for the people i care about because i feel a little undeserving of my own friendships at times...=]

I. . .y'know what? I think I'll try this the next time things get out of hand. Thanks~!

we wub you~

Try the fact that my life's awesome. Lets see, I have a great job for my age, I'll be going to Uni in a month to continue studying 3D Animation, oh and theres all the people out there that I care about. If you've ever had suicidal thoughts then your quite clearly doing it wrong!

Try the fact that my life's awesome. Lets see, I have a great job for my age, I'll be going to Uni in a month to continue studying 3D Animation, oh and theres all the people out there that I care about. If you've ever had suicidal thoughts then your quite clearly doing it wrong!

I'm glad to hear that your life is wonderful! However, not everyone's life is absolutely wonderful right now, so please have some compassion for them!

The reason I never did was because it could become better in the future. You might as well live to find out what your life turns out to be instead of just quit early.

Your life, personality, the way you react to emotions, the way others treat you, and motivation to look forward to the future can all change much faster than you first expect.

To anyone severely depressed: feel free to PM me and if you'll explain to me your thoughts and perspectives, I'll gladly try to help you understand yourself. I'm feeling chatty.

sometimes whanever i went into trouble/dissapointment, i muttered in my mind *that's it, i wanna die now...* or *may i just kill myself now?* etc etc... my alter ego sadly always said no since i naturally reject to die...

but as i reflect more, i realized that most people commit suicide is that because they think it would justifies their Pain and make everyone feel *ah.. poor him commit suicide because of his burden, we hate you burden* etc... and also to escape the Pain they felt... those people are the most rotten cowards that ever humanity existed.. and in fact many people died due to this desperation and inability to adapt to their despair....

at summer holiday,i did once strangled my neck with my hand because i hated myself (so it's technically me killing me, not sure that counts as suicide), i felt pain and starts losing conciousness, then i stopped strangling because i realized i am still alive and said live is my only chance in this world. who in the world would Trash their own only life anyway?

Lives can be beautiful if you want it to be and rotten one if you want it, it's all depend on your choice .. sadly, humans are Maso ungrateful bastard these days...

Edited by Pukuriripo

Mainly my mother and the rest of the people that appreciate me. But other than that...there's a something that won't allow me to quit this life.

Also, FE13 and SSBB is amazing, so that's a huge plus.

Edited by Enkidu

but as i reflect more, i realized that most people commit suicide is that because they think it would justifies their Pain and make everyone feel *ah.. poor him commit suicide because of his burden, we hate you burden* etc... and also to escape the Pain they felt... those people are the most rotten cowards that ever humanity existed..

there's nothing cowardly about committing suicide, in my opinion. death is frickin scary...

Also, SSBB is amazing, so that's a huge plus.

you guys don't know shit it seems when it comes to topics like this. selfish? fuck off

edit: i wasn't reading what some of you guys had to say. sorry

and of course its sad and shocking when someone your'e close to commits suicide. but people have their own reasons and problems that you can't fully understand.

unfortunately i knew this the hard way. a close friend of mine did it. he just wasn't very happy with his life. he didn't have any friends accept for me and another guy he knew. he quit uni, didn't tell his parents about it because he hated them.then i guess he just let all this pressure build inside him until he decided he had enough.

its all good to wonder why people would do such a thing, or think that if you did something to stop it this it wouldn't of happened. you just haveto accept it. remember the good times you had with that person. this sort of thing does happen a lot in this world.

i wouldn't do it. as hard as life can get, i'll always remember this tyrion quote "Death is so final, yet life is full of possibilities"

Edited by Aizenberg

Uh, I think you kinda forgot to leave FE13 there. It really doesn't deserve that, because it's a fantastic game.

But that person is right, you know. Wishing for death as a merciful release is cowardice when you can solve your problems. In this case, anyway.

Besides, you can't say death is scary, as you've never experienced and hardly any people have went through it and came back to say how it feels. And how can it be scary if you don't feel anything? I think that people who say that, which is honestly most people, are really scared of leaving this life behind, rather than death itself.

But that person is right, you know. Wishing for death as a merciful release is cowardice when you can solve your problems. In this case, anyway.

Besides, you can't say death is scary, as you've never experienced and hardly any people have went through it and came back to say how it feels. And how can it be scary if you don't feel anything? I think that people who say that, which is honestly most people, are really scared of leaving this life behind, rather than death itself.

Well of course. Even in the event of an afterlife, and I'd have to KNOW it exists, It'd still be scary and depressing to leave this life. Though, obviously it would also soothe me quite a bit.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Well of course. Even in the event of an afterlife, and I KNOW it exists, It'd still be scary and depressing to leave this life. Though, obviously it would also soothe me quite a bit.

Love the fact you CAPITALIZED THAT FOR EMPHASIS AS IF WE WOULDN'T HAVE BELIEVED IT OTHERWISE.

Though, unless you've experienced it personally, then you don't KNOW it exists, you just believe it does.

Also, on-topic;

I've been contemplating suicide for a long time. Any people who know me back from FEND and FEU days may even remember me that way, that I was depressing and had bouts of suicidal tendencies. After several attempts, I don't know. I'm just a pussy, more or less. The thought of being dead is scary, more so than how upset and angry I am at my own life, to think that I wouldn't have anything is worse. I think a lot, always, everyday, every minute, I over-think and yet, to try and understand the idea that I wouldn't even have any thoughts, no way to think at all, it's such an awesome and scary thought, a really, really sad thought. To be able to breathe, to think, to see, to hear and to taste, to feel, to give all that up, it's just really daunting.

Love the fact you CAPITALIZED THAT FOR EMPHASIS AS IF WE WOULDN'T HAVE BELIEVED IT OTHERWISE.

Though, unless you've experienced it personally, then you don't KNOW it exists, you just believe it does.

actually brah i'm not religious so the emphasis was more or less to express that i'd have to be shown compelling evidence of an afterlife. thus the hypothetical and not a matter-of-factly tone, man.

edited for easier reading tho

Edited by Phoenix Wright

actually brah i'm not religious so the emphasis was more or less to express that i'd have to be shown compelling evidence of an afterlife. thus the hypothetical and not a matter-of-factly tone, man.

edited for easier reading tho

Re-reading your edit, I actually agree. Even if I knew that I'd come back to another life as someone else, or if there was an afterlife, there's certain aspects which will always remain unknown, and by nature we fear that which we don't know or understand.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a few things...

Sleep feels really good. The prospect of seeing beautiful ladies also brightens the day. If I can get back into it sometime, I wanna pick up a lot of things that I gave up on growing up.

Most importantly, who's going to fulfill my lifelong dream if I'm dead?

• 3 weeks later...

The true reason I don't carry out suicide is because I have faith that I will achieve what I am wishing for and because I fear dying (stopping to live, not death itself). I'm also kind of unsure about the Afterlife and lack of it. Also, in paper, my life is really good and a life many others would wish to have, I just really need to put it and myself together so I can make the best out of it.

Edited by bearclaw95