The Reading Thread c:

pinkbubblegum

Want to share a book you're reading at the moment? Have a book you'd like to recommend? Or maybe you just want to announce that, "Yes! I fulfill my quota of three books a year!"? This is the thread for you!

Feel free to discuss a book if you'd like, as long as you spoiler the important bits. Also, please don't get angry if someone likes books that're... uncommon. I'll be the first to admit that I actually enjoyed the Twilight series ;;

I feel a bit late to the party but I'm currently reading 1Q84 (I can't get over this title. It's so Qte hehe) and it's a pretty interesting read so far!

Haven't had much to read lately; I'm still waiting on some other series for a new book (like the Percy Jackson series) but since I don't have much money to buy stuff right now, I'll probably dig up my Jane Austen books and lose myself in those to pass the time. Or I'll re-read Lord of the Rings. Depends on my mood....

And to be honest, I'm neutral towards the Twilight series; I don't think it deserves either the praise or the hate that it gets. I find it sad that some people I know can't go around nowadays saying that they enjoyed the series without either getting laughed at or jeered at.... :(

Has anyone read Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe? That was such a great book. c: Not reading anything right now though. But I think the first thing I'm going to read soon is the last book in the Inheritance Cycle.

I haven't even read it recently, but for some reason this thread made me think of Bent, which I read in script form a while back

7uuEzyo.png

It might be considered an emotional sucker punch of a story, in that it's a Holocaust/concentration camp story that isn't holding back, and of course "oh boy we all know where that's going," but even aside from the value that can be taken from that remembering of a real-life horror story, it also spared to me some interesting (painful) observations about [perceptions of] male homosexuality during that point in history, and the gruesome bits definitely felt more meaningful/knowingly horrible than fetishized. And I found the ending, though gruesome, almost uplifting, in a kind of "nooooooo wait yea-noooooeahhhhh (cry a lot)" way that I can't actually remember read/seeing elsewhere

Edited by Rehab

Has anyone read Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe? That was such a great book. c: Not reading anything right now though. But I think the first thing I'm going to read soon is the last book in the Inheritance Cycle.

Never heard of Brave Story (sounds interesting), but I am a fellow reader of the Inheritance Cycle! I liked the last book (lots of action!)........but that ending......it's a very hit or miss ending....and for me it was somewhat of a miss......but I think you'll like the last book nonetheless.

I've been rereading Game of Thrones because I wanted to reread it now that the show's been a bit inactive.

EDIT-At some point I want to read the second of the Long Sun omnibuses.

Edited by SeverIan

Did anyone else ever read anything by Neil Gaiman?

Ya. I've read a short story by him, American Gods, and the first "unit" of the Sandman comics/graphic novels (so, chatper or set or volume or something). I think he's a pretty cool guy.

EDIT-Actually I've read two of his short stories.

Edited by SeverIan

Last Summer, I took the liberty to begin to read China's Four Great Classical Novels, and because I am a rather new and slow reader, I have only read two of them (Three Kingdoms and Journey to the West). So far, Three Kingdoms is my favourite, but I feel Outlaws of the Marsh has some great potential from the 500 pages I've gotten into. Still, Journey to the West was an awesome novel, if only to finally understand all the subtle references that appear every now and then. That, and it gave me a new found love for my now favourite weapon: a monk's spade. Everyone wants to be like Sha GojyoWujing!

I know I am judging a book by its cover, and while I do intend on reading A Dream of Red Mansions, I really am not looking forward to it as I was with the other three. Romance novels just aren't my thing, but I'm sure it will be a great read once I get to it.

Unrelated, but I also finished the entire Divine Comedy this Winter, and Iunno, Hell and climbing a large mountain for that matter is much more interesting than Paradise/Aristotle style outer space apparently. Still diggin' the concept that Paradise equates to staring into a fountain in God's courtyard for all eternity though.

Other than that, there is a beautiful box set of Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire up for grabs on Amazon that I simply must have at some point.

Edited by Maji

but I feel Outlaws of the Marsh has some great potential from the 500 pages I've gotten into.

I actually liked the earlier portions of Outlaws, where you follow around dispersed characters who are bumping into each other every so often, more than I liked the portions where they are all together. That's just my opinion ofc. It was still a great read all the same.

Kingkiller chronicle is amongst my most favorites, it's even better than game of the thrones. For something lighter, I have Ciaphas Cain series and hey, have you read The Witcher series? It's even better than the games themselves. And you can try My name is Red, but I dont like it much...although many said that it is really good. Lolita is a wrench train, but still, well writen sex scenes that will slap a big one into twilight books. I also read some H.P. Lovecraft books, interesting and well writen but dear...you will find many similar plots, characters, set ups in tv series, movies, other books, other kinds of media because these books are the original, the start of them all. So unless you are really into sci-fi, you will not like them. Stephen King's stuffs is also like that, I have already watched almost every movies that based on his books so there is no surprised for me...I also like Socrate in love, a light, good and a little sad romance story...btw, it's a Japanese book. If you like anime, it's a must read.

For Outlaws of the Marsh, or I prefer to call it "Water Margin". That book is good but the later half sucks and the ending is totally wrenched because the Emperor imprisoned the author and forced him to create another ending or he shall be executed. Three Kingdoms is...not the historical book as it usually mistaken, it's novel based on the same title history book. You should try the original one if you have a chance to touch it since it's a lot more informations and more accurated. A Dream of Red Mansions is a sad one...bad ending, and while you can feel the characters, the plot is very very boring and I am amused if you dont fall to sleep reading it. Journey to the West is fun one but I have already watched almost all of the tv series versions about it since when I was a kid so I was totally unamused while reading it.

Edited by Char