The Next Advance Wars Game

tacticianjenro

IS talks about hopefully making the next installment to the Advance Wars series saying whether or not they make it is a "secret".

But I'm still excited seeing all the possibilities the next game has with what they did to really improve Fire Emblem with Awakening.

I am thinking design map sharing through wi-fi, wi-fi battles, maybe even a custom CO like the Avatar character in Awakening.

I also really want the AWDS COs back (though some ought to be rebalanced like Sasha and Javier) and really miss those characters like Grit, Sami, Eagle!

Really excited to what they're gonna do.

Feel free to discuss about the next AW game here

I would also like to see it return. Definitely with online multiplayer like on Days of Ruin. That was a supremely excellent feature, let down somewhat by the bad map selection. I would much rather see Days of Ruin style COs as well. The CO system in Days of Ruin was a lot better in previous titles.

Edited by Anouleth

The multiplayer for days of ruins was definitely the best, but I would like to see a mix between the CO system of dual strike and days of ruin. In general though it would be pretty hard to do. They would need a plot as good as days of ruin and a replayability at least as high as dual strikes campaign.

I would like to see a continuation of the Days of Ruin story. The original world and its characters had plenty of time of fame. I would like to see IS explore the new world they created.

Edited by the SMT fan

The multiplayer for days of ruins was definitely the best, but I would like to see a mix between the CO system of dual strike and days of ruin. In general though it would be pretty hard to do. They would need a plot as good as days of ruin and a replayability at least as high as dual strikes campaign.

Days of Ruin with multiple difficulties? =)

I would like to see a continuation of the Days of Ruin story. The original world and its characters had plenty of time of fame. I would like to see IS explore the new world they created.

It's certainly...possible given the ending, but another original story would be pretty cool too.

What I would like to see:

• Retain Days of Ruin Unit mechanics, etc. Expand upon this as the base.

To be honest I wasn't a big fan of how much Dual Strike suffered from power creep. I really enjoyed the strategy in Days of Ruin largely because it wasn't just "build power then Dual Strike to win" and it was possible to use larger amounts of weaker units without being completely destroyed by a single higher tier unit (though this would probably crap all over your Technique score in the end). In addition, I was a fan of things like Rigs building Temp Airports/Ports and the Anti-Tank unit. That said, it wouldn't hurt to see a few more units added to the Days of Ruin set (maybe not super costly units like the lolWarTank in Dual Strike, but possibly between middle and high pricing tier?).

• Do not bring back Dual Strike or Super Powers. Instead get creative with Days of Ruin CO mechanics with some slight innovations related to previous games.

I'm a big fan of CO Zones and CO Powers in Days of Ruin. While it might not be as satisfying as having map-wide strength the entire time there was instead strategic risk-reward (depending on the CO) and using CO Powers wasn't just fire and forget. However, I wasn't too big on being unable to choose my CO for each map (I mean come on, why not at least let me choose what I want for every Trial Map?). In addition, it would be interesting if one were allowed to deploy multiple "CO units" onto the field at once (maybe stupidly overpowered, but I'm sure it can be worked around).

• More map building options.

Let us use the Black Cannons (or Talon Gun, whichever you prefer) and so on. It would be damn fun. Also would be amazing if, given the 3DS wireless technology, we could share maps that are beyond the 10x10 dimensions that Days of Ruin was restricted to.

Overall, would absolutely love to see another Advance Wars game.

IS talks about hopefully making the next installment to the Advance Wars series saying whether or not they make it is a "secret".

But I'm still excited seeing all the possibilities the next game has with what they did to really improve Fire Emblem with Awakening.

I am thinking design map sharing through wi-fi, wi-fi battles, maybe even a custom CO like the Avatar character in Awakening.

I also really want the AWDS COs back (though some ought to be rebalanced like Sasha and Javier) and really miss those characters like Grit, Sami, Eagle!

Really excited to what they're gonna do.

Feel free to discuss about the next AW game here

Link? I've been waiting for the new Advance Wars for a long time now. I still have all the games in working order I think and I lose stuff really easily... I haven't read too much news on a new title in a while. Has new information surfaced?

I kinda hope they keep the mechanics from Days of Ruin and keep the setting. All the COs from the first three games make it really just kind of jumbled. The cast is fucking huge. I felt the mechanics were far more solid in DoR than the previous games.

Edited by a cat

Link? I've been waiting for the new Advance Wars for a long time now. I still have all the games in working order I think and I lose stuff really easily... I haven't read too much news on a new title in a while. Has new information surfaced?

This was the most recent thing I could find.

Btw, can I point out that your member title matched with your icon is awesome? =)

I kinda hope they keep the mechanics from Days of Ruin and keep the setting. All the COs from the first three games make it really just kind of jumbled. The cast is fucking huge. I felt the mechanics were far more solid in DoR than the previous games.

^Link on above comment

"As for whether Intelligent Systems have any Advance Wars games in development, Maeda says: “Whether or not we have plans to bring out a new entry in the Advance Wars series is a secret.”

Secret sounds like a confirmation? But still looking forward to it.

I'm not sure why they cancelled Days of Ruin for release on Japan though. Because then, maybe if they release the new game in Japan too, then it won't be related to DoR?

I would like the original COs back (at least some of them), but work on a whole lot of balancing, and not relying on the CO powers too much. And the original light theme/story that it was on the old games.

Edited by tacticianjenro

I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Advance Wars DS had lackluster sales in Japan, likely resulting in Days of Ruin never even being released there. As far as I know, IS does not release any games solely for the US/EUP markets.

Advance Wars is a wonderful series. It stinks we haven't heard anything about a new one after an entire 5 year's wait. A revival is at least possible, but at this point the series is dead.

Edited by SRC

Golden Sun and Ace Attorney had longer spans of time between sequels. I can wait. Still waiting for GS4 as well. >_>

Phoenix Wright has been actively been getting various spinoffs and ports, so that is quite a misleading assertion.

Advance Wars is a bit different than, say, Golden Sun or the Mother series. From the span of 2001-2008, Advance Wars had as consistent of a release schedule as the Fire Emblem series, and then stopped being produced abruptly. Game series come and go, but it feels there is a reason why IS has stopped producing Advance Wars games.

It's not impossible, though! But just because companies like to keep some secrets does not necessarily mean IS is being candid about a new release.

Phoenix Wright has been actively been getting various spinoffs and ports, so that is quite a misleading assertion.

Crap. I did forget about that (Still sour about the Ace Attorney/Professor Layton spinoff not going international D:).

Advance Wars is a bit different than, say, Golden Sun or the Mother series. From the span of 2001-2008, Advance Wars had as consistent of a release schedule as the Fire Emblem series, and then stopped being produced abruptly. Game series come and go, but it feels there is a reason why IS has stopped producing Advance Wars games.

Maybe people thought it got* too dark and edgy =(

Edited by Interest