The Royal Sprite Topic of Myself

MarioKirby

...Well, I can certainly see why you would say that. To be fair, it truly is a coincidence, though if it is an issue, then I can see if I can't change his appearance a tad.

Edit:

krob.png

This a step in the right direction?

Being similar to Gandolf isn't a bad thing at all.

Also, Ike's hair is too big. It's like looking at FE4. The spriting is very well done.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I never saw those custom sprites you did. I really like those. Did you animate them or anything? They would look way rad in a sidescroller. The only crit I'd have for them is that they seem very low contrast at times, particularly where the clothes meet other clothes and skin. It sort of blends together to the eye, I feel that there would be a bit more shadow to read more easily in animations and in a game. Still, it's consistently low-ish contrast which could be a cool style thing

The Ike is neat, but I greatly prefer the darker palette. It may just be the background color you picked, but it makes his hair and face look very washed out.

Those custom sprites for the custom characters are meant to be more like concept art than actual, functional sprites, as I wanted to get the concept out of my head, but I am terrible at drawing. If I made the hypothetical game that they would appear in, it would be top-down and 8-directional rather than side-scrolling.

Also, with the Ike mugs, the sprite in the middle is an FE8-style palette, while the sprite on the right is an FE7-style palette.

• 3 weeks later...

0pNOfy7.png

CeKVx9n.png

v1dPD00.png

Here are some splices that I've previously made for contests that I've periodically been touching up. They still need a lot of work, though.

I really dig your color choices.

• 3 weeks later...

3e5lc11.png

Wanted some comments on this before handing to Arch, especially the frames and mini-mug, as I rarely sprite such things.

Looks great! Face is really nicely done. (So jealous of you guys that can sprite wavy and curly hair well too~)

On zoom, there are a couple of areas that still look a little chunky/blocky/outOfPlace, highlighted the areas that stood out most in green.

a9Kb5.png

The teeth could probably be aliased into the armor at the base too, and I'm not really sure what the collar trim is doing. Minor things though, imo, it looks good to me. ^^

Looks great! Face is really nicely done. (So jealous of you guys that can sprite wavy and curly hair well too~)

On zoom, there are a couple of areas that still look a little chunky/blocky/outOfPlace, highlighted the areas that stood out most in green.

a9Kb5.png

The teeth could probably be aliased into the armor at the base too, and I'm not really sure what the collar trim is doing. Minor things though, imo, it looks good to me. ^^

Since you've pointed out those spots, I can see what you mean. I'll keep it in mind, along with the other comments. As for the collar trim... I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to be doing, even after looking at her official artwork.

In other stuff:

uoZG1Vk.png

I'm not sure if I've shown off the original sprites of this character, but this is the third and fourth attempts at improving it. Main focus is the full person on the right.

0pNOfy7.png

Here are some splices that I've previously made for contests that I've periodically been touching up. They still need a lot of work, though.

I'm in love with this guy <3 nose is a bit too shaded on the bridge part. But it's ballin <3

@ the positive comments: Thank you!

@ Nih: I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Also:

TsNa1RX.png

Slowly making progress. The updated arm still looks wonky to me.

Looks good so far: the hair and the wrinkles in the sleeve seem nice and smooth.

Right now that arm is pretty stiff / locked straight out, which probably feels a little unnatural. I'd add a slight bend to the elbow or relax the hand or something to break that rigid arm.

Looks good so far: the hair and the wrinkles in the sleeve seem nice and smooth.

Right now that arm is pretty stiff / locked straight out, which probably feels a little unnatural. I'd add a slight bend to the elbow or relax the hand or something to break that rigid arm.

Thank you! Realistic wrinkles in clothing seem to be a difficult spot for me, so to hear that it looks good is appreciated.

I'll keep that in mind when I work on the sprite in the future.

CJQ8k29.png

That being said, I've worked on it more before seeing the comments here. The torso and the hand on hip, along with the arm, look wonky; the shading as well.

I feel like the hip-hand has too much of the hand in front of the hip. Don't know if that makes sense.

No, I understand what you mean, and I was intending on correcting that when I started on the skirt.

Edited by MarioKirby

Update~!

ru6RKwv.png

Attempts at changing up the POV-left arm. Also some minor changes here and there.

wb8kynr.png

Also something random I did. I would like to keep up with the style I made for this.

You're one of the few people on this site to consistently change up their style and still manage to make it look good, regardless of what you do.

how u do it

The simple answer would be a lot of practice and a lot more of being terrible - for me, I've been making sprites for going-on-eight years at this point, which is a lot of time to do both.

Something that also helped me when I started was attending a message board by the name of Pixeltendo, the message board that the Spriter's Resource used back in the day. Being a place dedicated to spriting, I saw a lot of different sprite styles and techniques being practiced, both styles straight from video games as well as styles that a person would make up. Seeing other people's works, along with engaging in the occasional fad, inspired me to take many swings at a variety of styles myself.

That being said, I'll generally switch styles either because I'm bored of the style I've been working on and want to do something different, or I have an idea and don't want to lose it. ...Although the latter doesn't tend to happen as much, and when it does, the outcome is rather different from what I was intending.

Also, if you want to see good work, you should browse the topics of the message board that the Spriter's Resource use; there are some members over there that make my stuff look like the messy doodles of a two-year-old.

tl;dr - Years of work