Name your starters across the generations!

FrostyFireMage

91 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Starter of Gen 1?

• Bulbasaur
    • Charmander
    • Squirtle
  2. 2. Favorite Starter of Gen 2?

• Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile
  3. 3. Favorite Starter of Gen 3?

• Treecko
    • Torchic
    • Mudkip
  4. 4. Favorite Starter of Gen 4?

• Turtwig
    • Chimchar
    • Piplup
  5. 5. Favorite Starters of Gen 5 and 6?

• Snivy and Chespin
    • Snivy and Froakie
    • Snivy and Fennekin
    • Tepig and Chespin
    • Tepig and Froakie
    • Tepig and Fennekin
    • Oshawott and Chespin
    • Oshawott and Froakie
    • Oshawott and Fennekin
    • Snivy and undecided on Gen 6
    • Tepig and undecided on Gen 6
    • Oshawott and undecided on Gen 6

I tend to be somewhat picky when it comes to starters.

Gen 1: Initially went with Squirtle, but Bulbasaur's grew on me, so he's the one I use the most. Immunity to getting poisoned coupled with water/fighting resistance in a game filled with those types is no joke.
Gen 2: Only played HeartGold, so went with Cyndaquil in that one. Chucked him for Scyther halfway through because Flame Wheel couldn't kill anything.

Gen 3: Usually shift between Mudkip and Torchic, with slight bias to Mudkip. Tried Treecko a few times, never again.

Gen 4: Chimchar, though all of them are really fun to use, to be honest.

Gen 5: Oshawott really shines in Black/White 2 compared to vanilla B/W, but I don't like using any of them. More often than not I chuck them for the monkeys in that one.

Gen 6: Probably Chespin. Unless one or both of the other mons are crazy good when they evolve or if there's no good water/fire type to get early on.

Edited by HeoandReo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oshawott really shines in Black/White 2 compared to vanilla B/W

Care to explain? Because I haven't played BW2, and in BW, I generally felt that the other two starters were easier to replace than Oshawott, partly because there aren't many good waters in BW.

Gen I: Charmander

Gen II: Cyndaquil

Gen III: Torchic

Gen IV: Piplup

Gen V: Snivy

Gen VI: Benjamin Froaklin Froakie.

I had a fire bias when i was younger, clearly.

Care to explain? Because I haven't played BW2, and in BW, I generally felt that the other two starters were easier to replace than Oshawott, partly because there aren't many good waters in BW.

In all fairness that's true since Darumaka > Tepig and Petilil > Snivy, although I find water-types in general are really annoying to use in that game because B/W is filled to the brim with grasses, electrics and stronger waters that it loses to, (Swadloons, Emolgas and Simipours/Simisages come to mind. B/W2 fortunately gets rid of most of these.) along with the buffing of Sturdy preventing them from dealing with rocks/grounds as easily as they used to. Nowadays I usually end up picking Snivy and chucking him for Panpour instead for coverage reasons, more speed and a quicker evolution, but to each their own.

The Dewotts that I always end up using also always seem to be really frail and never kill anything, but I'm not sure if that's the fault of the mon or my bad luck with IVs. And it's always the Dewotts. He has better performance both before and after his evolution in my games.

Edited by HeoandReo

I. Bulbasaur

II. Chikorita

III. Treecko

IV. Turtwig

V. Snivy

VI. Chespin

-explanation and opinions-

Someone really likes grass xD

I'm genuinely surprised though by how many people in this thread like grass. I had the impression that grass was unpopular (All my friends don't believe that grass is worth anything but... only cause they're 2edgey and like fire types haha)

Edited by pinkbubblegum

I have a pattern of Grass, Fire, Grass, Fire. lol And this wasn't even intentional.

1. Bulbasaur

2. Cyndaquil

3. Treecko

4. Chimchar

5. Snivy

6. Fennekin

In all fairness that's true since Darumaka > Tepig and Petilil > Snivy, although I find water-types in general are really annoying to use in that game because B/W is filled to the brim with grasses, electrics and stronger waters that it loses to, (Swadloons, Emolgas and Simipours/Simisages come to mind. B/W2 fortunately gets rid of most of these.) along with the buffing of Sturdy preventing them from dealing with rocks/grounds as easily as they used to. Nowadays I usually end up picking Snivy and chucking him for Panpour instead for coverage reasons, more speed and a quicker evolution, but to each their own.

The Dewotts that I always end up using also always seem to be really frail and never kill anything, but I'm not sure if that's the fault of the mon or my bad luck with IVs. And it's always the Dewotts. He has better performance both before and after his evolution in my games.

I see... As I see it, the only better waters than Oshawott generally were rare (Panpour, which getting easily pretty much required you to pass up Oshawott anyways) or came late (Ducklett and Frillish; the latter also has to contend with an evolution level of 40, AND comes underleveled [likely having a level in the tens after getting six badges])... so yeah. That said, Panpour does get Scald rather early, and then it's game on.

Edited by Levant Fortner

*shaking grass*

a wild level 30 audino appeared

go level 10 frillish with a lucky egg

scald burns the target

game set and match

Predictable copout/10

Gen 1: Charmander, cause Charizard

Gen 2: Cyndaquill since it was my first ever pokemon

Gen 3: I picked Torchic the first time, but since then Mudkip has grown on me

Gen 4: Piplup every time

Gen 5: Snivy

Gen 6: So far Fennekin, but it depends on the evos.

Gen 1: Bulbasaur

Gen 2: Cyndaquil

Gen 3: Torchic

Gen 4: Piplup

Gen 5: Oshawott

Gen 6: undecided

It just so happens that these are also the starters that I used in my very first playthrough of each generation. This may not be a coincidence, since you'd likely get really attached to the one you started with the first time you experienced a generation, instead of someone you picked on subsequent playthroughs.

Gen 1: Charmander (Honorable Mention: Squirtle - I bought Red Version solely because of how boss Charizard looked on the box, so I had to pick Charmander. Squirtle (and by proxy, both of its evolutions) proved to be a very close second after the one from my Yellow Version was transferred to Gen II.)

Gen 2: Totodile

Gen 3: Toss up between Mudkip and Torchic (Picked Mudkip when given the choice in Soul Silver but I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other)

Gen 4: Toss up between Piplup and Turtwig (Didn't play Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum, and don't really have an opinion either way)

Gen 5: Toss up between Snivy and Oshawott (If Samurott looked cooler (IMHO), it'd probably be a shoe-in; but, since it doesn't, Serperior is enough to make this a tie)

Gen 6: Undecided; most likely going with Froakie but Fennekin is possible depending on what their final evolutions look like and what their typings are.

(Didn't vote in the poll since I'm not dead set on most of my picks.)

Edited by Lord Glenn

Gen 1 - Charmander. I really prefer the Charmander line's look more.

Gen 2 - Totodile. It's a crocodilian and crocodilians are awesome. And it noms. They should really extend the character limit so Feraligtr can be Feraligator.

Gen 3 - I did go with Mudkip at first but I began to prefer Torchic since it ends up learning some decent fighting attacks for the E4.

Gen 4 - I like all three but Chimchar was the one I ended up going with due to gameplay reasons. Inferape is awesome.

Gen 5 - I didn't like any of the starters... They all seem underwhelming to me but Snivy's line learns Coil for being a snake and Coil just makes it amazing if it had better type coverage. I usually just dump them in the PC after I get a decent replacement.

Gen 6 - I have no idea. I end up going with whatever makes the E4 slightly easier since I like using my starter against them.

Gen I - Bulbasaur. I like Ivysaur's design, when it evolved into Venasaur it made me a little sad.

Gen II - Chikorita. I thought the other two were ugly.

Gen III - Mudkip. ... I do like Mudkips...

Gen IV - Turtwig. A return to my grass roots. (Insert audience booing here)

Gen V - Tepig! Cute as hell and he evolves into Gannon! (Insert audience booing here)

Gen VI - I will be choosing Chespin. I believe in the Chespin.

Honestly, my decisions for most of the older gens is based solely on efficiency.

Gen I: Charmander. Because Charizard means I don't need some crappy Flying/Normal type in the party to fly me around. I really love all of the Gen I choices though.

Gen II: Totodile.

Gen III: Mudkip for gameplay reasons. I really like Torchic and use that from time to time, too, though.

Gen IV: Really like all of this batch, too, and I actually change my choice every time.

Gen V: Here, I go with Snivy every time in spite of all its drawbacks because it OOZES class and style.

Gen VI: Probably going with Fennekin, because like with Snivy, it's the classiest. Need to see the evolutions and stat spreads though. Chespin would be my second choice.

• 3 weeks later...

A grass guy here. I mostly pick Grass for the first playthrough but not all of them end up being my favorite.

Generation I - Bulbasaur

Generation II - Cyndaquill

Generation III - Mudkip

Generation IV - Turtwig

Generation V - Snivy

Generation VI - Chesspin. So far its give me the most positive impression.

My favorite of all time for now is Snivy. That elegant design and beastly move. If only it's part of dragon type.

• 3 weeks later...

1 - Charmander

2 - Cyndaquil, but totodile is REALLY close.

3 - Mudkip, but all the three are really close.

4 - Piplup and I dislike the other 2 =/

5 - Snivy. Sadly his stats suck =/

6 - So far it's Chespin, but I have to see their evolutions.

Edited by Nobody

charmander, totodile, mudkip, chimchar, turtwig, undecided but most likely fennekin.

i always choose fire for the first playthrough, but based on how i like to build my teams in these games, the ones i have the most fun using changes.

Edited by Phoenix Wright