Tilesets Are Confusing

Fedora Ferret

So I want to play around with Mappy and get a feel for it, since coding and art are not my strong suits but level design is. The problem is, when I go into the files, I can find absolutely no key. No guide saying, for instance, "1C1D1E1F is the fields tileset" (the only one I know since it's in Blazer's ultimate tutorial). As a result, I have no idea what tileset to use for what kind of maps, and I really don't fancy the idea of testing every single one and divining its purpose myself. Is there a key or a guide somewhere, maybe even in the actual files I got with Mappy that I missed in a moment of idiocy?

So I want to play around with Mappy and get a feel for it, since coding and art are not my strong suits but level design is. The problem is, when I go into the files, I can find absolutely no key. No guide saying, for instance, "1C1D1E1F is the fields tileset" (the only one I know since it's in Blazer's ultimate tutorial). As a result, I have no idea what tileset to use for what kind of maps, and I really don't fancy the idea of testing every single one and divining its purpose myself. Is there a key or a guide somewhere, maybe even in the actual files I got with Mappy that I missed in a moment of idiocy?

Can't you just tell by the looks? If it has castle tiles, then it's for a castle, ect, ect.

You mean the incredibly difficult to make out one in the thumbnail that has to be shrunken down due to the image's massive size, or the full size one that I have to pull up individually in order to view?

I could go through all of them and catalogue what tileset is what. But there are thirty of them and I don't mean to sound negative, but it sounds annoying and tedious, so I figured I'd ask if anyone had done it already and would like to share or have already done so to save myself some time and effort.

This should be all of FE7's native tilesets along with a list of what chapters use them. Better than nothing, since you can look up the maps on our site to get a better idea of what the tilesets are. It helped me out years ago when a friend gave me the information to compile so that I could help make maps for him.

[spoiler=Tileset, Chapter Correlations]

0A000B0C -> Chapter 2
0A003A0C -> Chapter 11H, 15H, 31H
0A009B0C -> Chapter 28H
0A009F0C -> Chapter 28xH
0A00290C -> Chapter 7x
0A00520C -> Chapter 17H
0A00800C -> Chapter 23xH
1C1D1E1F -> Chapter 5, 7, 8, 9, 11E, 12, 13, 16H, 24H(Lloyd), 26H, 32H
1C1D8A1F -> Chapter 25H
1C1D331F -> Chapter 10
1C1D441F -> Chapter 13xH
1C1D481F -> Chapter 14
1C1D621F -> Chapter 19H
1C1D661F -> Chapter 19xH
5B005C5D -> Chapter 18H
6A006B6C -> Chapter 19xxH, 20H, 29H
7B007C7D -> Chapter 23H
1000B712 -> Chapter 31xH
01000203 -> Prologue
01000703 -> Chapter 1
10001112 -> Chapter 3
10002212 -> Chapter 6
10005612 -> Chapter 17xH, 24H(Linus)
10007312 -> Chapter 21H
16001718 -> Chapter 4
16007718 -> Chapter 22H
91009293 -> Chapter 27H
A700A8A9 -> Chapter 28E
AE00AFB0 -> Chapter 30H
C100C2C3 -> Final

[spoiler=Chapter References]

Chapters Prologue, 1-10, 12, 13 - Omitted since they're always the same (All other chapters referenced by Hector Mode Chapter Number)

Chapter 11H - Another Journey
Chapter 15H - Talons Alight
Chapter 16H - Noble Lady of Caelin
Chapter 17H - Whereabouts Unknown
Chapter 17xH - Port of Badon
Chapter 18H - Pirate Ship
Chapter 19H - The Dread Isle
Chapter 19xH - Imprisoner of Magic
Chapter 19xxH - A Glimpse in Time
Chapter 20H - Dragon's Gate
Chapter 21H - New Resolve
Chapter 22H - Kinship's Bond
Chapter 23H - Living Legend
Chapter 23xH - Genesis
Chapter 24H - Four-Fanged Offense
Chapter 25H - Crazed Beast
Chapter 26H - Unfullfilled Heart
Chapter 27H - Pale Flower of Darkness
Chapter 28H - Battle Before Dawn
Chapter 28xH - Night of Farewells
Chapter 29H - Cog of Destiny
Chapter 30H - The Berserker
Chapter 31H - Sands of Time
Chapter 31xH - Battle Preparations
Chapter 32H - Victory or Death
Chapter 32xH - Value of Life

Final - Final Chapter: Light

Edited by Lord Glenn

I could go through all of them and catalogue what tileset is what. But there are thirty of them and I don't mean to sound negative, but it sounds annoying and tedious, so I figured I'd ask if anyone had done it already and would like to share or have already done so to save myself some time and effort.

it sounds like you're expecting hacking to be easy and painless

in this case it's already been done (there are multiple tilesets that have the correct values on them) but this is a really bad attitude to have ;/

I'm not really sure if you realize, but all you have to do is double click on the tileset and 99% of the time it will come up in a bigger picture. From there you can look if you want to use that tileset. If you are too lazy to double click then you're in for a shocker if you get into the insertion and hacking parts.

I like how people think this is me being lazy. This is me being pragmatic. As I said, if no one had come along and given me something like Glenn has I would have gone through and catalogued myself. My point, Eldinnnn, was that there are 30 tilesets, and pulling up each one individually and figuring out their purpose based on scattered, individual tiles, while certainly not too difficult, would be long and tedious. I never said the process of hacking would be easy and painless, I'm just not interested in doing a lot of work that could be circumvented by politely just a question in the board specifically designed for hack based questions. I'm trying to use the resources available to me. If nothing else, thank you for showing me the kind of response I'll get if I ask a simple question designed to make a difficult and time consuming project barely a percent less time consuming.

Glenn, thank you very much, that list should help. Krad, thank you as well. I'm going to stick with Mappy for right now, since I have a guide on hand for that, but I'll look into Tiled at some point once I'm more comfortable with this stuff.

No guide saying, for instance, "1C1D1E1F is the fields tileset"

3ziCa.png

1C1D1E1F. Boom. It's really not that complicated, just use the Chapter Data Editor as a reference.

Why was this not the first answer given...?

Edited by Arch

3ziCa.png

1C1D1E1F. Boom. It's really not that complicated, just use the Chapter Data Editor as a reference.

Either this, or just manually go through and check every single tileset, it's really not that hard compared to other things you do with hacking. p_p

I like how people think this is me being lazy. This is me being pragmatic.

they're pretty much the same thing when you really get down to it

this isn't necessarily a bad thing, being lazy taught me asm, but the reasoning "someone else has already done it and i want to save myself the work" isn't really a good attitude to have (especially given that it really isn't a difficult thing to figure out anyway)

Edited by CT075

Thank you kindly Arch.

they're pretty much the same thing when you really get down to it

this isn't necessarily a bad thing, being lazy taught me asm, but the reasoning "someone else has already done it and i want to save myself the work" isn't really a good attitude to have (especially given that it really isn't a difficult thing to figure out anyway)

The difference between laziness and pragmatism is in what you do with the time spent not doing other things. In this instance, I've just used the resources given to me in this thread to create a reference key, a single short document detailing what each map tileset contains. As said before by everyone here including myself, it was very easy. It did, however, take 15 minutes. While this may not seem like a large amount of time, 15 minutes is about how long it takes me to outline the dialogue for a chapter (actually writing it, of course, takes much longer, but in 15 minutes I can have the gist of what each character should say and when). 15 minutes is also how long it would have taken me to prepare a pork chop for lunch, or review artwork for the project that I'm actually being paid for (for the record that's not a time sensitive thing, wouldn't want to make people think I'm irresponsible as well).

A lazy person would want to use that 15 minutes for something time wasting. I want to use it to get work done that much faster.

Also, for the record, had I not created this thread, it would have taken me significantly longer without Arch's suggestion of the map editor and Glenn's tileset to map guide. So yeah, this ultimately saved me time.

i'm not going to bother getting into the semantic debate but the saying is that "the best hacker is a lazy one"

but honestly if you'd taken the 2 minutes to look into the chapter data editor (which is what you should have been doing anyway) you'd have gotten the information anyway

Edited by CT075

no cam see in the 15 minutes he could have saved his hack would be done by now

but since we were "uncooperative" and "unsympathetic" to his woes, he isn't done yet

see how this is totally our fault and we should just give in to any requests no matter how silly we think they are for there are amazing hackers like this out there who 15 minutes is the same as months and months to subpar humans like us

I like how people think this is me being lazy. This is me being pragmatic. As I said, if no one had come along and given me something like Glenn has I would have gone through and catalogued myself. My point, Eldinnnn, was that there are 30 tilesets, and pulling up each one individually and figuring out their purpose based on scattered, individual tiles, while certainly not too difficult, would be long and tedious. I never said the process of hacking would be easy and painless, I'm just not interested in doing a lot of work that could be circumvented by politely just a question in the board specifically designed for hack based questions. I'm trying to use the resources available to me. If nothing else, thank you for showing me the kind of response I'll get if I ask a simple question designed to make a difficult and time consuming project barely a percent less time consuming.

Glenn, thank you very much, that list should help. Krad, thank you as well. I'm going to stick with Mappy for right now, since I have a guide on hand for that, but I'll look into Tiled at some point once I'm more comfortable with this stuff.

I'm sorry but your question just came off as a really simple, small thing to me. I do apologize for my rudeness though since you are asking a hacking related question on the hacking question forum. Just so you know though, there are only about 13 actually different tilesets. The rest are just different palettes of the original 13.

I'm sorry but your question just came off as a really simple, small thing to me. I do apologize for my rudeness though since you are asking a hacking related question on the hacking question forum. Just so you know though, there are only about 13 actually different tilesets. The rest are just different palettes of the original 13.

It's alright, I realize how stupid of a question it was in retrospect. And I know that now, but at the time it was just a wall of images that I couldn't see remotely clearly to me.

@Cam: I actually did poke around Nightmare modules, including that one, but for some reason it didn't click that the pointers in the module corresponded to the pointers of the tileset. I suppose if I had read that section of the tutorial through to the Map Insertion part I would have known, but I have a tendency, when seeing a new program, to say "ooh shiny," read what I need to use it, and start fiddling around with it. My mistake.

Hell, not everybody can figure everything out for themselves, ya know? No need to be hard on the guy. There've been plenty of times where I've had similar questions and revelations for seemingly-obvious things, I just didn't post a topic on Serenes for everybody to bash.