Same-sex marriage is set to enter English and Welsh law this week.

Raven

The bill allowing same-sex couples to marry in England and Wales has passed its final hurdle in Parliament.

The government legislation is now due to get royal assent, after which it is likely to become law later this week.

The Conservative, Labour and Liberal Democrat leaderships all backed the bill, after the Lords approved the changes on Monday.

It is expected that the first gay and lesbian wedding ceremonies will take place by summer next year.

Under the terms of the the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, religious organisations will have to "opt in" to offering weddings, with the Church of England and Church in Wales being banned in law from doing so.

MPs decided not to oppose a number of minor changes agreed by the House of Lords.

Among these were protections for transgender couples, which will allow people to change sex and remain married.

There will also be a review of whether groups such as the humanists will be allowed to carry out marriages, while ministers said they were prepared to look at eliminating any difference in the treatment of gay couples when it came to pension schemes.

During the Commons debate, equalities minister Maria Miller said people should be free to marry "regardless of sexuality or gender".

The passing of the bill was "clear affirmation" that "respect for each and every person is paramount, regardless of age, religion, gender, ethnicity or sexuality", she added.

But Conservative MP Sir Gerald Howarth, one of the bill's opponents, said it was "astonishing that a bill for which there is absolutely no mandate, against which a majority of Conservatives voted, has been bulldozed through both Houses".

He added: "I think the government should think very carefully in future if they want the support of these benches. Offending large swathes of the Conservative Party is not a good way of going about it."

But Paul Parker, recording clerk for Quakers in Britain, said: "It's wonderful to see same-sex marriage achieve legal recognition. Quakers see the light of God in everyone so we respect the inherent worth of each individual and each loving relationship."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23338279

Taste the rainbow, motherfuckers.

As I recall, didn't Scotland already sign the same sort of thing recently?

They have passed the bill, but that's essentially just a proposal.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2013/06/same-sex-marriage-27062013

Should the Bill reach Royal Assent in early 2014, it is anticipated that the first same sex marriages will take place in 2015. It will take around 12 months to put the legislation in place.

Edited by Raven

This is all wrong! If gays get married, the institution of marriage will be destroyed! Societies will crumble, rivers will run with blood!

NAZIS WILL ONCE AGAIN RIDE DINOSAURS!

...Just kidding. This is great news. And if you understood what I was referencing before, you're awesome.

Edited by Frosty Fire Mage

I think Generation Y will cause the whole US to also legalize gay-marriage. Just like when white kids grew up with other races and saw nothing wrong with it, today's youth sees homosexuality as a normal part of society and their viewpoint will be the common one. Some churches are even starting to their interpretations to excuse it. Next up is marijuana.

I started this 13-page thread, starting off asking what the strong reasons against legalizing gay marriage are. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39748 I didn't reply, but I didn't find a convincing reason to outlaw it, either. I am under the impression that there isn't a strong enough argument at all.

Great job, you lucky sods!

also

Among these were protections for transgender couples, which will allow people to change sex and remain married.

Here's hoping your conservatives deal with it gracefully. :p

Here's hoping your conservatives deal with it gracefully. :p

Yep pretty much.

[spoiler=language... and extreme stupidity]

1dcf651f4ecffcc6653b4ccd11bbe20f.png317b1c103959383c5fc74037e4265c1d.png

those nasty celts. I'm sorta wondering how he thinks the US is more liberal than the UK, honestly.

also props for Gorillaz.

Edited by Kelsper

Well, yes, of course the US is more liberal than the UK. I went out today in Texas and got, like, seven gay marriages.

And after that you used your public national healthcare system?

Edited by Kelsper

at least our economy is better, lolausterity :B):

Can't win 'em all; conservative government.

tho I'd rather be poor than dying or in debt from huge medical bills, just sayin'

Edited by Kelsper

This is all wrong! If gays get married, the institution of marriage will be destroyed! Societies will crumble, rivers will run with blood!

NAZIS WILL ONCE AGAIN RIDE DINOSAURS!

...Just kidding. This is great news. And if you understood what I was referencing before, you're awesome.

I get the reference! Nice...

On topic, hell yes!