FE5: Chapter 5 and 6 crashing (Gamebreaking bug)

Klokinator

Alright, so as most know, I'm doing a random reclass run of FE5. I was playtesting the later chapters to get the game balanced when I encountered a bug that is so bad it could make me cancel my LP if I don't find a way to fix it.

On chapter 5, there's that one bishop on the pillar at the top right.

3GTjY.png
Yeah I see you, little smug prick.

You'll notice the position of the armor knight standing next to my cursor. From that position up to the top right of the screen, there seems to be an invisible area event of some sort. When any player unit steps in it, the game completely hangs. Specifically, when you move a player unit into it, and the instant you press wait. The choice box disappears, they go grey, and the game freezes.

3GTpc.png

As you can see, I moved lifis into that section (apparently it's actually a tile lower than I thought originally) and he turns grey, the cursor disappears, and the game freezes. The music still plays and nothing happens.

On chapter 6 (I walked around the edge of this invisible area event and completed the level, foolishly thinking my troubles were over) the exact same thing happens, except it happens oin turn one, and the WHOLE MAP is the area event. If any player unit ends their turn anywhere, the game freezes just like above.

Now, I did have some ideas but they don't seem to pan out.

-Could be joesteve's translation? No, because the game doesn't freeze if I put the save file in a vanilla joesteve translation without my edits.

-Could be Galzus, maybe? I suspected that maybe it's because I made Galzus' new class a mounted class accidentally, and stepping on either of those areas triggers the part where he comes out, thereby crashing the game as mounted units can't be indoors. Unless he appears in chapters 4 or 4x, I changed his class to unmounted and that didn't seem to affect whether this happens or not.

-Could be whatever area event triggers there? Possibly, but I don't know what area event triggers when ending a player unit's turn in those areas.

If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears. I'd prefer not to cancel yet another LP if at all possible, so help fixing this is appreciated. I'll pm anything someone needs if they need to playtest it themselves.

I'd recommend changing Galzus' class. I've messed with character classes in that chapter and it doesn't freeze for me.

Like I said, I changed his class to an unmounted one, then replayed from chapter 5 and it didn't crash the game. Now, if he appeared in, say, chapter 4x or even chapter 4, then the moment he appears he seals his class away in the rom data which in turn means I'd need to replay from those points to make sure that his class changes to what's appropriate before he ever even shows up. If all else fails, I may have to rehack everything from scratch on a new rom costing me a lot of time and effort, and that'd be more of a pain than I'd probably wanna deal with.

Would it have anything to do with Eyvel getting stoned, maybe?

Yeah, I assumed that could be it too (which doesn't explain chapter 6, but okay), so I went back and replayed the chapter really slow, letting her be stoned. No dice. Then I replayed through, this time playing fast and getting to the spot before mareeta even pops up, still glitches. Then I deliberately let nanna and eyvel be killed as quickly as possible, and the game still glitched.

Even if it has to do with Nanna and Mareeta somehow, that doesn't explain chapter 6 at all and why the whole map is a crash zone. Honestly, other than some area event involving Galzus appearing activating and crashing the game, I'm completely out of ideas.

i don't recall any events triggering there.

Yeah, then there's the issue of nothing happening. Maybe there's an AI change though? Like maybe that's what's fucked up? Maybe just moving onto that spot alters the AI of the bishop or some other units to the left? That would also sorta explain chapter 6, as I'm fairly sure when you move this changes the AI of the enemy horde to attack mode or something. However, I never experienced any crashes on chapters before this which leads me to believe that like you mentioned, it's probably not even an area event.

I just dunno. I'm willing to PM the rom if anyone wants to examine it themselves.