he did it

Blue Knight

Your statement that Michael Phelps feat was not impressive, whether or not it was made in jest or indifference, shows how detached a spectator of the Olympics is when watching the games from his or her television. It was that sense of indifference for a swimmer achieving eight gold medals, proving himself to undoubtedly be the fastest swimmer currently known to the athletic world, that you conveyed which reminded me of a statement my father made regarding art museums while touring London's National Gallery. I could not hope to recall his quote, but he suggested something along the lines of what I stated in my previous post. With so many hugely famous and expensive works of art condensed into small rooms it's very easy to gravitate towards those which one personally finds the most attractive. The value of the paintings, or any thought as to how they could possible be so valuable, is washed away to the point that touring such a collection doesn't feel very impressive. One might see one or two spectacular paintings but there is no guarantee that the person in question will remember those paintings in two years' time. Does anyone touring such a museum even have a reason to care about such a multitude of outdated paintings? Witnessing an individual piece of art worth millions of dollars would potentially be more impressive than seeing two thousand such pieces in a gallery. In much the same way, athletic world records being broken amongst a crowd of thousands of world class athletes seems to generate such a sense of indifference amongst the majority of its audience.

I hope that explanation made more sense, my prior post wasn't very well focused.

That's Wist for you. Give him one short sentence of inspiration and....BAM! A response worth 704 words.
I don't know if this is good or bad because what I wrote could probably be much better condensed had I a reason to revise it. It is, however, nice that you remembered me.
tl;dr
What if I tell you that there is a secret message regarding the administrator's sexual preferences favorite breakfast cereal hidden within the post? In honesty though, that's perfectly fine and I take no offense to your choosing not to read my atrociously lengthy post. Writing the post helped me to organize my thoughts more than anything else.

EDIT (23.08.2008):

I don't recall this website marking edited posts as having been edited. Do I remember incorrectly or was a forum setting changed?

Edited by Wist

Perhaps I should try my hand at starting a literary Olympic event.

Maybe I should focus a little more on making my posts concise? When I read over old posts of mine, I sometimes notice a recurring pattern of repetitiveness (presumably a side-effect of lengthening English essays in high school) which could probably be avoided. But this does not pertain to the topic at hand.

Michael Phelps has done well for himself considering how much he eats.

Edited by Wist

Why are your posts so long? Make em short and sweet a lot more people will read.

Rather, I enjoy longer posts since it leaves more to think about and to digest, but it's 4 AM right now so I'll get to Wist's insight tomorrow.

Also -

http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2008/08/26

"That's some great sportsmanship, we really appreciated that."

Edited by Wil