Spoofing a StreetPass relay

VincentASM

The latest 3DS software update allows gamers to obtain StreetPass tags from any Nintendo Zone via what Nintendo calls a "StreetPass relay".

What happens is that your 3DS automatically connects to the Nintendo Zone and swaps StreetPass data with the last person who passed the zone. This function is only available with the latest update.

Some people might be aware of the trick that lets you create a "fake" Nintendo Zone by changing your wireless SSID to "_The Cloud" or "attwifi".

Well, these fake Nintendo Zones actually function as relays too and allow you to StreetPass.

You can go one step further and StreetPass people across the globe by sharing your wireless connection's MAC address--the MAC address is used by Nintendo to identify the "position" of a relay.

So I was wondering, would anybody here be interested in trying to StreetPass using a fake relay? I've been looking up how to change my MAC address, but I have no idea how to do it (I think my router might be too old).

If somebody here *can* change theirs, maybe they could set it to my MAC address and StreetPass me or something? X D

Edited by VincentASM

rey, you should streetpass me. I already put myself on quite a few "prime macs". I can set a few private ones too.

edit:

Vince, what is your mac? I'll streetpass you and in 8 hours from your last connect to it you can streetpass me.

Edited by someonewhodied

When I saw this update, I realized:

"I never leave the house with my 3DS."

So technically, I never used Nintendo Zone. I have only 3 times received StreetPass via Fire Emblem: Awakening and 2 via Mii Plaza. One was my own self, another was my sister, Madison (all here units are completely the same level as when they were first used/recruited), and another random StreetPass (pretty even team)

Vince, what is your mac? I'll streetpass you and in 8 hours from your last connect to it you can streetpass me.

That would be cool.

I have an EU 3DS, so we could check if you can swap NA and EU StreetPass teams. (I doubt it works, but you never know.)

Although, does anybody know if there's any downside to sharing your MAC address? I'm assuming it's just a number, but I don't want to accidentally blow my security wide open or something X D

If I understand this correctly, I can just change my wi-fi's name from "netgear" to "_The Cloud" and my friends and I have StreetPass relay just like at McDonald's?

Yeah, but if your friends don't share your wireless connection, you'll each have your own relay.

If you want to share a relay, you'll need to share MAC addresses.

Sadly, I still haven't been able to change mine successfully, so good luck if you want to try that X D

This might be of help for those who need it. It's helped me out tremendously, although I might need to rework my approach to cycling through MACs.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-have-a-homemade-streetpass-relay.352645/

Yeah this looks very helpful!

If I change my Wi-Fi to relay, will it affect my normal internet usage?

If your computer only has a wireless connection to the router like mine, I think it will mess with your internet a bit. They suggest making an extra router or some other device with a hotspot your relay spoofer.