FE3 emulation issue

TheBigDipper

So yeah, I wanted to play Monsho no Nazo on my R4*, but then I realized something: all emulators that can be used by my R4, can't play the translated ROMs, while original ones run fine. For example, with SNEmulDS (IIRC) latest version, whenever I load the translated one, the screen went total blank, with FPS spazzing between really low numbers (about lower than 15) and impossible-to-get ones in the hundreds. What's wrong with it?

Details on my R4: The card looks like:

post-8536-0-40906800-1382018807_thumb.jpg
(if can't see, it says
R4
3DS UPGRADE
SDHC
Revolution for
3DS DSi XL/LL DSL DS
RTS LITE
Real Time Save
www.r4isdhc.com
)
but it has Wood R4 version 1.?1 installed.
(I don't know the exact version number, probably 3 or 5)

Btw I'm only playing it for B1 because B2 makes Abel bad.

Also I doubt that anyone will reply with an actual answer instead of "lol u plei fe3 go get a life an plai fe4 its more betterer".

post-8536-0-40906800-1382018807_thumb.jpg

i'm no expert but frankly the FE3 patch has its problems even on PC emulators; back in the day when i first dabbled in it, the opening demo narration thing consistently just crashed ZSNES. i suspect that the patch's modifications rely on relatively hacky programming techniques which the R4's emulator simply doesn't adequately support at this time (and all things considered probably never will). definitely wait for somebody who knows what they're talking about, but my gut feeling is that this is, alas, a lost cause

considering the state of the patch even under the most optimal conditions you'd probably be better off playing FE3 unpatched anyway

the game relies on exceptionally detailed cutscene movies to convey Marth doing blow off Malicia's back; trust me, language isn't a problem here

seriously though navigating a FE game in Japanese without knowing the language is a relatively simple case of trial and error. test out commands and memorise their locations compared to everything else and you should be fine. fortunately, FE3 is relatively simple in its gameplay and commands; the biggest curveball it has to offer is its dumb item/weapon management and its split-up state (and honestly some of the time in the patch this stuff was left garbled and untranslated)

The FE3 patch was just too far ahead for its time.

Only the real emulators can play it properly; some of the emulators out there can't even play the original FE3 properly.

That said, it's too bad RPGuy went MIA or I might have considered updating the patch...

What exactly does RPGuy have that you need? Last I checked, the text was relatively straight-forward to edit. I remember Fei Long back at FESS had started a FESSer project for the game even.

Is it only his notes that you'd like to have?

i'm no expert but frankly the FE3 patch has its problems even on PC emulators; back in the day when i first dabbled in it, the opening demo narration thing consistently just crashed ZSNES. i suspect that the patch's modifications rely on relatively hacky programming techniques which the R4's emulator simply doesn't adequately support at this time (and all things considered probably never will). definitely wait for somebody who knows what they're talking about, but my gut feeling is that this is, alas, a lost cause

considering the state of the patch even under the most optimal conditions you'd probably be better off playing FE3 unpatched anyway

Maybe your problem was using the hacky emulation of ZSNES :/

What exactly does RPGuy have that you need? Last I checked, the text was relatively straight-forward to edit. I remember Fei Long back at FESS had started a FESSer project for the game even.

Is it only his notes that you'd like to have?

An easy to use text inserter; his automatically expanded text and created line breaks.

I love FE3, but not enough to insert the text in by hand : P

...And his notes, I guess, yeah. I did zero of the hacking after all.

Edited by VincentASM

An easy to use text inserter; his automatically expanded text and created line breaks.

I love FE3, but not enough to insert the text in by hand : P

...And his notes, I guess, yeah. I did zero of the hacking after all.

Have you checked out programs like Atlas? They're tailored for script insertion across any kind of medium. Think of it as the text editor equivalent of Nightmare, which was created to be a GUI-standin for hex editing.

the game relies on exceptionally detailed cutscene movies to convey Marth doing blow off Malicia's back; trust me, language isn't a problem here

seriously though navigating a FE game in Japanese without knowing the language is a relatively simple case of trial and error. test out commands and memorise their locations compared to everything else and you should be fine. fortunately, FE3 is relatively simple in its gameplay and commands; the biggest curveball it has to offer is its dumb item/weapon management and its split-up state (and honestly some of the time in the patch this stuff was left garbled and untranslated)

1. I'd actually wanna see that.

2. Well, I did try playing through Jap games untranslated, the most recent one being that SRPG+2D fighting Croket! game for the DS. But that's not the case, I can try and know that easily. The main problem is that, I want to play it in the language that I know (I think there was a Vietnamese version of it somewhere, but I don't know), and I also want to read what's said. Also a hard thing to figure out would be weapons, since if they are unusable, their gray shades are like, all the same.

that's definitely fair enough, and regardless of how much i poke fun at the FE3 patch's dubious state, it's still a shame it won't work here

either way, i'm a bit pessimistic about this situation ever being resolved: if it's an issue with the R4 hardware or firmware, i'm pretty sure they'll never bother fixing it; odds are they way they see it, if their flashcard can play the SNES heavy hitters that's all that matters and who cares about bending over backwards for anything else. if it's an emulator problem, the odds are better and it may be worth enquiring if the guys behind it have a forum or other contact means, assuming the relevant projects are still active, but again i get the feeling they may not bother going out of their way to support a single fan translation for a relatively obscure game. if the problem's with the patch itself, well, that's even less likely to be changed than a theoretical R4 problem

sorry man. i guess there's not much else i can say that's not either hollow or condescending (ahaha like i wasn't already condescending)

If you wanted good SNES emulation on a DS, you may have wanted to consider getting a SuperCard instead of an R4 (or its many knockoff derivatives). Its emulator has better compatibility, and also a little extra power behind it, considering the flashcart includes its own onboard processing unit. Still, the DS isn't exactly a system you'd get for emulation--you'd have a much better experience picking up a PSP and using that.

For what it's worth, ZSNES hasn't been updated for almost 7 years. I'm sure a fork or two have sprung up over the years, but most people want nothing to do with it. byuu wrote up a short explanation of its faults over here if you're interested in its problems.

For what it's worth, ZSNES hasn't been updated for almost 7 years. I'm sure a fork or two have sprung up over the years, but most people want nothing to do with it. byuu wrote up a short explanation of its faults over here if you're interested in its problems.

that was a surprisingly cathartic read, in that it's oddly nice to know there's more to ZSNES's problems than just its bizarre and poorly thought out interface (which i admit is the sole basis of my prior gripes with it)

If you wanted good SNES emulation on a DS, you may have wanted to consider getting a SuperCard instead of an R4 (or its many knockoff derivatives). Its emulator has better compatibility, and also a little extra power behind it, considering the flashcart includes its own onboard processing unit. Still, the DS isn't exactly a system you'd get for emulation--you'd have a much better experience picking up a PSP and using that.

1. That feel when no money.

2. That feel when hating PSP.

bookofholsety could you just give me the damn pic of Marth blowing Malicia

alas to my knowledge it doesn't presently exist, but i do have an artist friend who resorts to all kinds of nsfw commissions to make ends meet and i could probably hit him up for this one

F yeah free commissions.