Rocksmashing for Shinies?

Orpheon

I've only ever got 1 shiny through actual playing, that is to say, GameFreak didn't hand it to me like they did the Red Gyarados. That Shiny was a Geodude. In HG, I was fossil hunting in the ruins of Alph and I found this little gem hiding in one of those rocks. I just want to make sure I had the math right.

After doing research, I found that rock smashing yields a pokemon about 10% of the time (rough estimate by Smogon). Since the shiny rate is 1/8192, we would multiply:

1/10 x 1/8192, correct?

Assuming this correct, we get: 1.220703125E-5, that is to say a relative rate of .00001 of rock smashing the shiny. Is my math flawed, or did I do the unthinkable?

I've only ever got 1 shiny through actual playing, that is to say, GameFreak didn't hand it to me like they did the Red Gyarados. That Shiny was a Geodude. In HG, I was fossil hunting in the ruins of Alph and I found this little gem hiding in one of those rocks. I just want to make sure I had the math right.

After doing research, I found that rock smashing yields a pokemon about 10% of the time (rough estimate by Smogon). Since the shiny rate is 1/8192, we would multiply:

1/10 x 1/8192, correct?

Assuming this correct, we get: 1.220703125E-5, that is to say a relative rate of .00001 of rock smashing the shiny. Is my math flawed, or did I do the unthinkable?

Go buy a lottery ticket right now!

Depends on if it's 1/10 to find a shiny pokemon and 1/8192 to find a shiny Geodude, or just 1/10 to find a shiny Geodude period.

As far as smashing that rock at that time, yes, you have the right idea, but you could do a similar equation for any non-interactable wild Pokemon since no grass/cave/etc. spot has a 100% encounter rate. The big difference with smashing rocks for wild Pokemon is just that it takes longer to do.

Depends on if it's 1/10 to find a shiny pokemon and 1/8192 to find a shiny Geodude, or just 1/10 to find a shiny Geodude period.

It's 10% to even find a pokemon from the rock smash, the other 90% is nothing/item. The rate would probably be jacked up even higher if I was testing for a geodude specifically. I'm just doing it for rock smashing in general, so it's a 10% chance for rolling a pokemon, THEN you have the 1/8192 tacked on after the pokemon is rolled. Kind of link how criticals only proc if you're going to hit.

The odds are unthinkable, but you were going to eventually run into a shiny anyway.

I wouldn't say that running into a shiny is a definite occurrence, since I know people who have yet to run into a shiny in the wild that wasn't predetermined. Maybe if I actively went searching for one using the Masuda Method or the Poke-Radar then it would be more definite, but I was never that hardcore about Shiny grinding.

I was mainly just making sure my math was wright, and I set up the equation correctly and the odds were multiplicative.