Help me pick a 6th Pokemon

Arch

Currently in the process of postgame rebuilding my team.

Old Team: Delphox (Fire/Psychic), Pangoro (Dark/Fighting), Aegislash (Steel/Ghost), Heliolisk (Electric/Normal), Aurorus (Rock/Ice), Clawitzer (Water).

Mostly, I was dissatisfied with Aurorus. 4x weak to Fighting and Steel, with 2x weaknesses to Water, Rock, Grass and Ground, It only resists Normal and Poison type attacks. Ghost and Dark cover the same two types, and Aurorus's glaring defensive weaknesses sent me looking for changes. Clawitzer was marvelous, with its Mega Launcher Water Pulse/Aura Sphere/Dark Pulse/Dragon Pulse quartet of kickassery. Pangoro, with Earthquake as a coverage move, is able to take on most threats (sans a Fairy, of course). Heliolisk with Parabolic Charge and Thunder Wave gets the job done, and Surf provides strong coverage.

With Mawile, Steel type's coverage is retained, while getting rid of the repetitive Ghost type for a more substantive Dragon check in Fairy. Mawile's Steel/Fairy is the game's best defensive type; immune to Dragon and Poison, weak only to Fire and Ground (though they are common types), resistances to Normal, Grass, Ice, Flying, Psychic, Bug (0.25 damage, lol), Rock, Dark, and Fairy. I liked Aegislash, but sometimes he ended up being too fast, ironically enough, for his intended purpose. If he fails to kill in Blade Forme (which he often does, no matter how good his offenses are), any SE attack will roast him. Good Pokemon, but I can live without it.

I've also replaced Delphox with Talonflame. Not all that fond of the starter. Gale Wings on Talonflame has a priority healing move in Roost, as well as priority Brave Bird. Retains the Fire type, but swaps Psychic's coverage for Flying. Psychic covers Poison types (my Fairy is immune to their STAB attacks, and no Grass types either) and Fighting types. Flying keeps that Fighting coverage, but adds a much-needed Ground immunity (the original team has 4 Pokemon weak to ground). But of course, fuck Stealth Rock doing 4x damage...

New Team: Pangoro (Dark/Fighting), Talonflame (Fire/Flying), Heliolisk (Electric/Normal), Clawitzer (Water), MegaMawile (Steel/Fairy), ???

Halp. Need to think of a sixth teammate to complete the revamp. From any generation, just looking for a good Pokemon. I'm kinda stuck on this one, guys.

Edited by Arch

I'm slightly biased here, but I'm going to say Nidoking. Ground/Poison is a strong defensive typing despite his average defensive stats, and with his newly buffed base Atk, his massive movepool shines more brightly than ever. If you can get a Sheer Force variant, he'll deal even more damage, especially from the special side, but Poison point gets the job done if you aren't willing to search hordes and safaris for the hidden ability, though it locks him more towards physical variants.

Quick weakness check (probably missing a few, but eh):

Pangoro - Fighting, Fairy (and it will hurt), Flying

Talonflame - ROCK, Electric, Water

Heliolisk - Fighting, Ground

Clawizter - Electric, Grass

Mawile - Ground, Fire

It looks like you'll want to avoid stuff with Ground/Electric/Fighting weaknesses. . .best way to do that is a Ground type that levitates. . .like Flygon. . .

why did you get rid of aegislash

it's like the single biggest threat in 6th gen

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Aegislash is a monster if you use it correctly. Ideally, you'd want to run a set like this:

Aegislash w/ Leftovers

Adamant Nature

Ability: Stance Change

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 HP

- Shadow Sneak

- Iron Head / Sacred Sword

- Swords Dance

- Kings Shield

Here, you can use Swords Dance without risking any Pokemon breaking past Aegislash's base 150 defense and special defense in Shield Form. As soon as you max its attack, Shadow Sneak will pretty much OHKO everything when it switches to Blade Form. If ever you run into a physical threat, you can always use Kings Shield to switch back to Shield Form, and anyone stupid enough to touch you will have their Attack lowered three stages.

He's very useful on your team, and very dangerous to fight against. I suggest you keep using him.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Aegislash is a monster if you use it correctly. Ideally, you'd want to run a set like this:

Aegislash w/ Leftovers

Adamant Nature

Ability: Stance Change

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 HP

- Shadow Sneak

- Iron Head / Sacred Sword

- Swords Dance

- Kings Shield

Here, you can use Swords Dance without risking any Pokemon breaking past Aegislash's base 150 defense and special defense in Shield Form. As soon as you max its attack, Shadow Sneak will pretty much OHKO everything when it switches to Blade Form. If ever you run into a physical threat, you can always use Kings Shield to switch back to Shield Form, and anyone stupid enough to touch you will have their Attack lowered three stages.

He's very useful on your team, and very dangerous to fight against. I suggest you keep using him.

The shield form actually receives more defense against physical attacks (in terms of percentage of health lost from taking a physical attack) from 4n HP EVs than from 4n Def EVs just because its base Def is so much higher than its base HP.