My Younger Brother Spent 2 and a Half Hours on the computer this afternoon.

Garland Chaos

My sister loves to use the computer she is only 13, she use to use it for hours so now there is a lock on my laptop for her, She is now only allowed to use it 2 hours a day, I complained to her for ages that she spent to long on it, glad I thought of the lock now XD But I do think young kids should not spend there time sitting at a computer for to long unless its for educational reasons. Though I would say 2 hours should be tops they spend on it.

Kids shouldn't be allowed to do one useless thing all day when they could be bettering themselves

they'll have time enough for that later

Anyways, a couple hours and some change isn't terrible but maybe like an hour or an hour and a half is all he should need

Kids shouldn't be allowed to do one useless thing all day when they could be bettering themselves

Anyways, a couple hours and some change isn't terrible but maybe like an hour or an hour and a half is all he should need

"one useless thing"? "could be bettering themselves"? christ, you're so close-minded it's like a steel cage with no openings; or at least that's the impression your post gives.

I agree.

I see where Boney is coming from too, but well, the OP didn't say anything about what his brother is doing. I think even letting younger kids use the computer is rather a waste. At least when I was 9, I don't think there was even a computer at my grandparents' or my own parents' home.

It kinda depends when I was 10 I was learning HTML that's not quite a waste is it

But if he's just dicking around on there then yeah

It's also theoretically bad for your health but as a person who works with computer it's too late for me \o/

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze

"one useless thing"? "could be bettering themselves"? christ, you're so close-minded it's like a steel cage with no openings; or at least that's the impression your post gives.

Close-minded in what way?

I'm not saying kids shouldnt have free time spent to pursue whatever it is they like doing

Just that hobbies need to remain hobbies

and not consume your every waking moment

And in this case, computers, and specifically the internet, is usually too much for the pre-teen crowd

there's too much shit to waste time on, genuine dead-end vacuums of time that only serve to give you a fleeting high of happiness, and I don't trust every kid to be responsible enough to know when to stop

so as a general rule

kids shouldnt be on the computer for more than a couple of hours unless they've proven/you know that they're responsible enough to handle it

and even then considering all the things they might get dragged into on the internet anyway

like picking up on annoying as fuck internet "humor" and regurgitating it to you

or possibly interacting with voracious message board fiends who enjoy putting people down for not knowing whats going on, and I dunno hurting their felines or something

they are probably better off doing something else

i think you're assuming that they will never spend time using the computer to better themselves which although is a moderately fair assumption(because of the lack of direction they'll likely have), it isn't absolute at all. what you seem to be implying is that they should get away from the computer because they can't be bettering themselves on the computer and they need to get away from it. is the world away from a computer that much better at making people better themselves? i would disagree completely because of the differences. in any case computer or not, people may or may not be bettering themselves.