Possible explanation for inconsistent growths

Espinosa

I play Pokémon casually but usually to beat the Battle Towers, Frontiers etc. you need EV-trained Pokémon and, well, up until X and Y, Gamefreak put in very limited knowledge of how EVs work in the game. It's a very important mechanic yet they seem to "hide" it from the players. Same with the IV system, it's known from in-game text that Pokémon of the same species may have different growths but how and why is never stated.

To really know the mechanics of the game, especially for breeding, you're dependant on fansites and hackers, even more so than any other series. But I guess it's a matter of choice. There are sophisticated mechanics under that apparently simple game, but only those players willing to go that far would take advantage of them. The others don't really need to since Pokémon is an easy game.

I assume they originally did this just to give the pokemon an initial potential, to stop similarly trained pokemon from turning out the same, as pokemon caught from the same route, and used regularly in the team would then likely end up very similar, due to story progression routes. They later decided to actually show people how it works, since everyone also knows anyway