Just Starting Out, A Few Noob Questions

Shauni

Forgive me if these have been answered before.

In the past I've toyed around with a few hacking tools for FE7 and I decided that I'll be starting a small project now that I actually have the time to do so.

I just want a few quick questions to be answered:

Is feditor adv supposed to make the rom crash when you change something in nightmare and then try to edit text?

If so, should I save the rom in feditor before making changes and applying patches?

On the topic of applying patches, how many is too many?

Is there a guide somewhere for ripping entire maps from the games? (Preferably just to make minor edits and then reinsert them)

And finally, would I be better off using midis from a site like vgmusic or should I insert music I ripped from other games?

Thank you all in advance! :Santhos:

No you're doing it wrong. If you're going to use two programs, use only one at a time and make sure the first is closed completely before you open another.

There's no "limit" on how many patches you can apply but be wary of what offsets get changed as so patches might contradict and use backups always

Maps you can go to event references module and see what offset they're located at then you can copy the data in a hex editor and paste it into your edited rom and fix the pointers. If you want to make edits your best bet is to recreate the map in tiled or mappy and insert it that way.

Either way is fine as long as you're satisfied with the sound quality

You're welcome

oh issa shauni

i don't think editing with two programs at once is a problem is you reload the rom file every time you make a change in the other program.

hxd hex editor has automatic updating, so editing there while another editing program is open would be safe. but then if you edit in the other program, it won't save the changes you made in hxd so you'd have to reload first.

Is there a guide somewhere for ripping entire maps from the games? (Preferably just to make minor edits and then reinsert them)

Well, one could use Bwdyeti's mappy converter.

It takes an image and a tileset, then converts it into a mappy file. Serenes forest has plenty of PNGs of chapters in fire emblem games, by the way.

Then you could go into mappy and make changes there.

EDIT: Link: http://forums.bwdyeti.com/index.php?showtopic=142

Edited by PixelmanFE

Your responses have been very sexy so far. Thank you!

I have two more questions to ask:

Just how do I apply more than one patch?

It seems that after applying one patch, I get an error when I attempt to apply another to the same rom. Is this where the hex editor comes into play?

Also, tiled or Mappy for map creation/insertion?

Edited by Shauni

I think you mark the ignore if patch and rom dont match thing (i dunno havent patched anything in a while)

I use Mappy, but I'm going to switch over to Tiled (someone said they make tile changes much easier)

Your responses have been very sexy so far. Thank you!

Just how do I apply more than one patch?

It seems that after applying one patch, I get an error when I attempt to apply another to the same rom. Is this where the hex editor comes into play?

Check "notify" before clicking on "patch if using nups. If you still get the same issue get the patch data for both patches and see if there are any overlapping offsets. Telling us what patches you're trying to apply might also help.

Either works fine but tiled is easier as far as map changes go.

I was trying to apply the music patch and the tutorial killer patch. Although I found out about an hour later how much easier it was to just disable the tutorial with the event assembler. >_<

Use which ever one you like best.

I use Mappy, personally.

Is that that one girl from FE7if? Did you get permission?

What am I talking about... it's probably stolen XD

Use which ever one you like best.

I use Mappy, personally.

Is that that one girl from FE7if? Did you get permission?

What am I talking about... it's probably stolen XD

Yeah, it's Katt's shaman form's mug from Fe7if.

I didn't get permission but when I read that massive dramathread's response from the japanese community it seems that their hacking community doesn't care about stolen stuff as long as credit is given. I should get to probably giving credit in my sig though.

(And to make it clear i'm not going to be using any of their resources in my hack)

Edited by Shauni