Super Training

Roy: Marquess of Pherae

So I got Y today. Should I start worrying about ev training, or not yet?

Also, are there like caps or something, or do I need a guide. (I've never ev trained or iv trained so pokemon stats are a bit confusing to me.)

If someone could simplify it for me, I would be most appreciative.

You should only worry about EV and IVs when you're playing competitively against other people(or when doing the battle facility at the end of the game). You can easily go through the whole game without worrying about these advanced stuff and the things you need in order to EV train and IV breed properly only come in the post-game. So for now, I suggest you focus on just enjoying the main story with the pokemons you like(or new one you are interested in using).

To answer to your other question, each pokemon give EVs in a certain stats when you defeat it, ranging from 1 to 3 EVs depending on the pokemon. You can add these points until you get 252 in a stat and can have a total of 510 EVs. So for example, if you have 252 evs in defense, beating a geodude that gives you 1 def EV won't change your EVs and if you have 252 in def, 252 in HP and 6 in speed, your pokemon won't gain anymore EVs period.

This guide also explains it in more depth.

You don't really have to bother with it in the main game. Just have fun running whatever pokemon you want on your journey, and leave the IV and EV stuff for postgame. You should be able to easily find guides for them on the internet, like the one Lux provided.

You should only worry about EV and IVs when you're playing competitively against other people(or when doing the battle facility at the end of the game). You can easily go through the whole game without worrying about these advanced stuff and the things you need in order to EV train and IV breed properly only come in the post-game. So for now, I suggest you focus on just enjoying the main story with the pokemons you like(or new one you are interested in using).

To answer to your other question, each pokemon give EVs in a certain stats when you defeat it, ranging from 1 to 3 EVs depending on the pokemon. You can add these points until you get 252 in a stat and can have a total of 510 EVs. So for example, if you have 252 evs in defense, beating a geodude that gives you 1 def EV won't change your EVs and if you have 252 in def, 252 in HP and 6 in speed, your pokemon won't gain anymore EVs period.

This guide also explains it in more depth.

So if you super train, you choose your own evs?

So if you super train, you choose your own evs?

I totally forgot to mention super training. What I mentioned above and the guide I linked all talk about EV training with wild pokemon(you can find in the guide or on site like serebii, good hot spot for a particular EV). Ev training allows you to complete a minigame to raise your EVs for a particular by a certain amount. It all depends on whether you prefer the minigame or battling to get evs(I think battling is quicker, but super training is a much easier way to get familiar with the concept)