Steel Diver: Sub Wars

Ike-Mike

So Nintendo's first major F2P game is out, a submarine arena shooter.

What do you think?

I personally like the online multiplayer a lot. It's slow and methodical and good positioning and a fair amount of coordination is required. That makes it a nice change of pace from most other shooters out there.

It's basically like World of Tanks, except I don't really like World of Tanks but I like this game.

Communication through morse code is also really cool and entices me to learn it. I memorized a few more letters and phrases than the standard SOS by now.

I still prefer Valve's F2P model the most, but it's good here too and still a lot better than other microtransaction models, especially on mobile games.

It's a shame there is no online friend play, but I suppose Nintendo is still wary about the Swapnote shenanigans.

I also really like the portraits in this game. They remind me of F-Zero X, or heck, they even give me a major Starfox SNES vibe.

Speaking of which, the game was directed by the same guy responsible for both F-Zero and Starfox, so while we aren't getting either we should still support his latest gaming projects.

Speaking of which, the game was directed by the same guy responsible for both F-Zero and Starfox, so while we aren't getting either we should still support his latest gaming projects.

I did not know that. I know my next eShop download.

I actually downloaded the free version a few days ago. I like it a lot actually. I like how Peppy pops up.

• 3 weeks later...

So the version 1.1 update has arrived.

What do you mean, Nintendo is intent to keep ongoing support for their F2P game like a F2P game?

The update introduces the following:

• Removes the connection error when wanting to stay in the same lobby
  • Removes the standalone morse chat lobby
  • Pre-game chatroom only lasts a minute now and includes flood protection
  • Minor gameplay tweaks

Now that I can stay in the lobby and actually score win streaks, my levels are going up rather quickly.

Since that update though I noticed an increase in people leaving in the pre-game lobby shortly before a match is starting. I hope the makers will find a suitable fix for it soon.

I appreciate the flood protection, though I miss the constant spamming of "E" because it's the easiest letter to morse a bit.

Speaking of morse, it's really difficult to morse out a "GG" at the very end of a match.

I've unlocked the second submarine now. It's a lot more nimble than the first one, but then you notice its torpedoes don't reach have a much shorter firing range...

I sunk Ike-Mike today.

translation: i shot ineffectually at ike-mike, missed wildly, got scared, masked, missed ike-mike some more, and then my teammates sunk him for me