Are cannons canon?

In Chapter 14, at least in the English Versions, Flavia makes an allusion to well... Cannonballs. [Which is wildly inaccurate because what happens in Chapter 14 is... a use of Fire Ships. (Yay for proper military tactics)]

However, you've only got cannonballs... if you've got cannons. You don't have bullets without guns.

Obviously, there's no cannon in gameplay. [That'd be absurd]

But... if the allusion is present in all versions, there's a solid case to being... well... cannons.

The FE series and many other high or heroic fantasies tend to meld various Medieval periods together into one big melting pot. For example, there could be knights in plate armor fighting Vikings. That short explanation just cured your fridge logic.

There's a lot of little bits of dialogue here and there that do this sort of thing. I don't know the actual line offhand, but I distinctly remember Sully calling someone a "son of a gun" at some point. There have been weapons called bowguns in the series, though.

Western cannons in some form date back to the late 13th and 14th century. I believe China and the Islamic world had access to them before that, too. It's really not surprising. They're strictly siege weapons at this period, and would have little place on an FE battlefield abstracted into such small-scale conflicts.