A thread about DWARF FORTRESS

Komeiji Koishi

So yeah, this is a thread about Dwarf Fortress, that hyper complicated game that has ASCII art and who lots of people love despite/because of the fact. That game that has an engine devoted to making an original world with as much history as is set by player parameters. That game that has a working physics system, along with a bunch of other stuff. That game which might take twenty years to complete because it is so complicated. That game that is made by one guy (and his brother) and is funded by donations. That game where the supposed goal is to see how your fort dies. Yep. That game.

So... uh... I just got into it not too long ago, so I wanted to know if anyone on SF also played it, and could possibly give advice to a newcomer to the Dorf Forting world.

Rather than the basic download off the main site, I recommend the Expanded Lazy Newb Pack. The link leads to the forum topic where it's basically hosted, with two download links for windows versions AND the Mac and Linux download links, so take your pick. The topic also provides a list and changelog of contents for the LNP and said contents are either described in the list OR each one has a link to the forum topic where you can find that individual item.

The most notable contents include tilesets and easy installation of said tilesets, a UI with DF launcher and multiple launch configurations, and utilities such as Dwarf Therapist, a utility which makes managing dwarves's military and civilian jobs far more convenient.

Now then, to get started on dwarf fortress requires. . . a lot. The difficulty curve isn't a curve, it's a plateau with fire breathing dragons and demonic spiders all along the side waiting to make your life miserable. Before jumping in I highly recommend you check out the following links.

The Fan made and maintained wiki, complete with a starter guide for both Fortress and Adventure mode (scroll down.)

The Bay12 Forum. There's an entire list of subforums devoted wholly to DF and its various aspects. Read up on faqs and various user questions, ask the search function (read:The actual search function, not Footkerchief even if he qualifies as the better of the two.) and if all else fails, make a free account and ask the community - sure, the community could be considered clinically insane but at the same time the difficulty curve turns away most trolls and sods, so people generally have knowledge of what they're talking about.

The Tvtropes page. It can give you a pretty good idea of the scope and possibilities inherit in this game, and a very quick overview of what's what, in addition to linking to several of the places I've all ready pointed out. Just don't poke around the spoilers too much, it takes out some of the !!Fun!! if you learn what cotton candy means. . . !

The main page of the DF website. While it's mostly concerned with what exactly is going on in development it's good to note just what insanity Toad One (the dev) comes across during testing since some of it gets thrown in anyways, in addition to being able to know what's coming up next. And I mean really, who expected a necromancer to raise the empty skin of a butchered creature?

This tutorial series made by Youtuber and veteran dwarfer captnduck. Among the better tutorials, most of what it said in these videos holds true even as the game becomes more and more complex.

Finally, your DF trivia for today, courtesy of the Night Creatures update.

Necromancers can raise any body part that can grasp or a collection of body parts where at least one part can grasp (hands and mouths can grasp) in addition to certain miscellaneous pieces such as the empty skin of a creature that has been butchered.

Werebeasts (IIRC the were-creature can be almost any random non-aquatic entity) transform on the night of a full moon. This transformation removes armor/equipment and turns them into a "healthy" instance of that creature. At the end of the transformation they return to a "healthy" instance of their normal form. (Without any clothes.) In plain english, transformation regenerates all a werebeasts limbs.

When a necromancer creates a zombie, said undead has curses and traits present when it was alive.

Including status as a werebeast.

In the plainest terms, a werewolf's hand raised from the dead will, on the night of a full moon, become a full zombie werewolf and then, once the night is over, become a full zombie human. You can then cut off the entire new zombies hands, raise those, and wait for the next moon.

Repeat. Profit. Unless you're in fortress mode and a necromancer is doing this to the local werebeast population. In which case, have !!Fun!!

Oh hey people who have actually played this game.

Yeah... I wasn't really thinking when I posted to the regular dl link, I should have posted the ln pack.

Anyway, I'll make sure to reference (at least) the wiki and the videos, and learn from it. So...Yeah.

My personal favorite read in all of Dwarf Fortress is, in fact, a tale of many adventurers.

And one duck.

No seriously, I think the topic is dead now but some player's Legendary Adventurer was chasing a duck to practice wrestling and strangulation. To catch the duck he chased it across a river. The exact moment the duck got out of the water on the other side the river froze and the adventurer died instantly, encased in ice.

Response by player? Gather up a bunch of Adventurers and Town Guards and go after that duck!

They all died. Some by combat and some from freezing. Including the player.

This repeats I think a third or fourth time.

Duck still isn't dead, btw. . . well, technically, since the world file is long gone. . .