NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They call him Big Ben because he is very heavy for a QB. Just because Ben is heavier than all other QBs, it doesnt mean that he can throw a football farther.

No, he's called Big Ben because he's big. He's very tall, and quite heavy. It's not only his weight. Just compare him to Antonio Brown. He towers over the guy!

Also, I've seen Ben throw 70ish yards. That one play with Mike Wallace from awhile back. Ben was standing at one endzone, and seconds later, Wallace was at the other with the ball. Ben had to bomb that thing like hell for this to happen.

Edited by Anacybele

You mean this? It traveled like 40-45 yards in the air. QBs can't really bomb it 70 yards down the field very easily in an actual game setting, and those who can can't do it accurately... and on top of that he also didn't have Von Miller (reigning DROY at the time and dominant 4-3 DE) in his face.

No, he's called Big Ben because he's big. He's very tall, and quite heavy. It's not only his weight.

That's what he said isnt it? He was 240 pounds as a rookie (rookie Flacco was around 245 with an inch on him, I was wrong earlier about that, tho Flacco now is 255) and he's 6'5" so yeah he's big and heavy.

Flacco is a giant though... side by side comparison:

benandjoe.jpg

Though we call him "Wakka Flacco Flame" or "Joe Cool" depending on how ghetto or blue collar we're feeling. I prefer Wakka Flacco Flame but ya know

Edited by Lord Raven

Yeah, but I could've sworn Ben threw it farther than that. Guess I remembered wrong.

No, he said only Ben's weight contributed to his nickname. I'm saying it's both that AND his height.

It's quite grating to hear people on the "Fire gus bradley" train, even though he's worked wonders with a very very very bad roster. There's not much to go but down from 2011, especially after drafting Gabbert with the #12 overall pick and then losing your first rounder to a broken ankle in 2013 (after he was playing out of position) right after trading possibly one of the best picks from the 2009 draft (which doesn't say very much at all - 2009 was a dismal draft, there's like 3 players from the first round still with their own team and I can't even name anyone besides Stafford*).

*EDIT: It's more like 10, but a bunch of the other guys from that draft were pretty bad. I think the 2008 and 2010 draft has more first rounders that are successful than 2009.

Anyway, fantasy league with a bunch of my bros from reddit:

LTG3XbK.png

For real, it's not my fault that Megatron and Drew Brees aren't getting anywhere close to what I'm expecting of them... they were my first round picks too. At least I didn't get Adrian Peterson or Lesean McCoy though... Thankfully it's a keeper league and I just got a massive haul off of Megatron - Sammy Watkins and Justin Forsett. If I forfeit my 8th round pick next year then I can keep Watkins.

Edited by Lord Raven

Yeah, the Jets seem to be going through a similar situation to the Jags and Raiders as well. Rex Ryan has even said himself that his job is in danger. He could be next on the firing list.

And I'm not surprised. For one thing, why has Geno Smith been starting at QB for them instead of Michael Vick? I mean the former doesn't even have real experience at starting QB, unlike the latter who started for the Eagles for who knows how long.

Edited by Anacybele

Well the thing is that the Jets have had what I've heard referred to as "challenger launches at QB" since he's got there and that's primarily on their GM and not Ryan... They know Ryan is a defensive coach. They've also lost like 3 starting defensive backs from camp but they actually have hope unlike the Raiders et al cause they have a good DL and their weapons aren't bad.

As for Vick, he didn't win the training camp battle cause he's not the Vick we used to know in Atlanta or Philly. He looked like crap when they did put him in.

lol Chargers legacy Philip Rivers younger brother: Stephen Rivers 6'7 at 223 pounds. He has a Flacco like body too. He has a possible mentor who has a beautiful 70% accuracy. Sounds like a great QB so far... Or he could be like the Manning brothers...where the older one is superior..... ._. Since next year is his Senior Year at Vanderbilt (Currently in LSU).

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

Well the thing is that the Jets have had what I've heard referred to as "challenger launches at QB" since he's got there and that's primarily on their GM and not Ryan... They know Ryan is a defensive coach. They've also lost like 3 starting defensive backs from camp but they actually have hope unlike the Raiders et al cause they have a good DL and their weapons aren't bad.

As for Vick, he didn't win the training camp battle cause he's not the Vick we used to know in Atlanta or Philly. He looked like crap when they did put him in.

Yeah, I was aware that Ryan had a better defensive mind than an offensive one. But I figured that since he's a head coach, he must have SOME idea of what an offense is supposed to do. But I see, that makes sense.

EDIT: Rivers's brother DOES sound like he could become a beast! Man, I hope the Steelers decide to cut Landry Jones and grab him. If not Tim Tebow, of course. I still think Tebow deserves another chance somewhere.

Edited by Anacybele

lol Chargers legacy Philip Rivers younger brother: Stephen Rivers 6'7 at 223 pounds. He has a Flacco like body too. He has a possible mentor who has a beautiful 70% accuracy. Sounds like a great QB so far... Or he could be like the Manning brothers...where the older one is superior..... ._. Since next year is his Senior Year at Vanderbilt (Currently in LSU).

Didn't the Chargers sign Flaccos gargantuan brother Mike Flacco as a receiving TE before the season started?

You'd be surprised at how one dimensional some defensive coaches can get. Lovie Smith is a good example, Buddy Ryan is another one. Sean Payton is the exact opposite cause he has no defensive mind but he's an offense guy.

Also Tebow has gotten enough chances...

Edited by Lord Raven

Yeah, plenty of teams have seen Tebow and decided to pass. He did managed to win a playoff game, but that doesn't make him good overall (Mark Sanchez won several playoff games, T.J. Yates won a playoff game a few years back etc.) He just isn't good enough at throwing the ball on a professional level.

There are plenty of players who are "nice guys" who "really want to win" who can be "leaders in the locker room" and other qualifications of dubious merit. On that note, there are also lots of players who are Christian (it's the dominant religion in the US, of course that's going to happen), so the notion that Tebow is 'persecuted' because of that is ridiculous.

And that 2011 Broncos defense was amazing

Furthermore many coaching staffs have claimed they revamped his mechanics only for him to go back to old habits and play terribly once the pressure was on. He just doesn't have good mechanics to pass the ball, barely any accuracy, a windup that is as long as a dragonball z powerup, etc. The only thing Tebow is good for is bringing God to your side somehow

Didn't the Chargers sign Flaccos gargantuan brother Mike Flacco as a receiving TE before the season started?

You'd be surprised at how one dimensional some defensive coaches can get. Lovie Smith is a good example, Buddy Ryan is another one. Sean Payton is the exact opposite cause he has no defensive mind but he's an offense guy.

Also Tebow has gotten enough chances...

They released him because Antonio Gates is a veteran, who also has very versatile uses and Ladarius Green is built for the passing position of a TE due to his very athletic build making him quite fast, also Flacco's lack of depth essentially being a slower Ladarius Green yet taller is the reason for doing so. Also Chargers tend to run TEs to block more for short pass or run plays than actual catching of the football, as they only catch for TDs or when running a Dual TE play.

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

Ooh, a bit of good news for the Panthers. AJ Green likely won't be playing against them Sunday, leaving the Bengals without their top receiver. ^^

Best case scenario for the Steelers: the Bengals and Ravens both lose again, the Steelers win. This would put the Steelers in a tie with the Bengals for first in the division. Seeing as the Ravens are against the Bucs, though, I don't see them losing. But the Steelers gotta beat the Browns no matter what the other teams do, or else they're going to be dropped to dead last.

And the Steelers are starting to convince me that I've been wrong yet again about them and that they do suck now. The defense looked incredible for a few minutes, but that's it. So much for being the fucking division favorites. They're not going to the playoffs like this. Might as well stop watching them and wait for next year if they don't start doing something now.

Edited by Anacybele

Jesus, the Ravens are looking like they want the Buccaneers to be the bottom of all Power Rankings. xD It's already looking pretty one-sided.

Flacco has a mere 158.0 passer rating right now

what a scrub

EDIT: thanks to harbaugh trying to make tucker kick a 64 yarder and flacco spiking the ball it is now 149.8. god dammit. Either way he sets the franchise record.

Edited by Lord Raven

What's funny about this game the Steelers are playing though, is now at half time, the score is almost exactly the same as it was in week 1, only the other way around (with the Steelers in front rather than the Browns). A big turn around for them in the second half would be VERY interesting. But of course, I'm not getting my hopes up. They let the momentum go as soon as that last FG attempt was stupidly botched.

Edited by Anacybele

What's funny about this game the Steelers are playing though, is now at half time, the score is almost exactly the same as it was in week 1, only the other way around (with the Steelers in front rather than the Browns). A big turn around for them in the second half would be VERY interesting. But of course, I'm not getting my hopes up. They let the momentum go as soon as that last FG attempt was stupidly botched.

Don't panic yet, because I'm certainly not celebrating yet. The Browns have always had an uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, and even though they're a much better team than they have been in the past I still don't think they can escape the "luck" of Cleveland sports.