Will GameFreak ever make an X/Y follow-up now?

Anacybele

So, since the awesomeness of X and Y blew me away so hard, I've been patiently waiting for a follow-up, preferably sequels like BW got (because the sequels were more different than the third versions of past gens and felt less like I was buying the same game twice. I did love Platinum a lot though).

But then GameFreak goes and decides to make (imo, pointless) remakes of gen 3. I was personally hoping they'd skip this and just add Hoenn as an available post-story region in X/Y follow-ups, like being able to visit Kanto in gen 2 and HG/SS, since gen 3 is by far my least favorite in the series.

Seeing as I won't be wasting my money on these, will GameFreak ever make an X/Y follow-up now? I want to think so since they've always made a follow-up for the current gen. But the only time they ever made a follow-up for a previous gen after a set of remakes was, coincidentally, gen 3. FireRed and LeafGreen were made before Emerald, I think. After that, it was the opposite. Platinum came before HG/SS and B2W2 came long before these gen 3 remakes. And there's a first time for everything.

So yeah, I'm a bit worried. X and Y pretty much surpassed gen 4 and 5 for me (Platinum was previously my favorite along with B2W2. HG and SS are close behind), I've really wanted a follow-up for awhile. Not to mention the event legendaries that still haven't been released as far as I know.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they will. We'll more likely get Z than X2/Y2, but I have no doubt we'll get it and R/S remakes don't reduce the chance in any way imo.

And yes, HG/SS came after Platinum, but also keep in mind that they came out 10 years after the original G/S. R/S came out over 10 years ago.

Apparently, Hackers found two new, unreleased attacks that seem to be exclusive to Zygarde. Also, considering Gamefreak loves their money, I doubt they won't make a follow up to X/Y.

Edited by Nobody

Of course they will. We'll more likely get Z than X2/Y2, but I have no doubt we'll get it and R/S remakes don't reduce the chance in any way imo.

I doubt it will be Z. Everyone thought Black and White were going to have Gray added. But nope, that didn't happen. Z just seems just as obvious a prediction. And It wouldn't really be a surprise. And GameFreak has been pulling surprises out of their hats lately.

And yes, HG/SS came after Platinum, but also keep in mind that they came out 10 years after the original G/S. R/S came out over 10 years ago.

That's why I said I would have made Hoenn available in an X/Y follow-up post-story. :P

I doubt it will be Z. Everyone thought Black and White were going to have Gray added. But nope, that didn't happen. Z just seems just as obvious a prediction. And It wouldn't really be a surprise. And GameFreak has been pulling surprises out of their hats lately.

I don't think it's just a coincidence that the one gen that had sequel follow-ups instead of a polish/expansion game was also the gen without a remake of any previous gen. Plus, Zygarde is much more indicative of a Pokemon Z than Kyurem was of Pokemon Gray imo.

lol so much salt must be from the entire ocean in Hoenn

I'm not seeing why this would have an effect on it. People like to put patterns into the pokemon releases, but even then, with sequels it's only happened once, so It's way to early to jump to conclusions.

I think it could go either way, for the moment.

Edited by L95

But then GameFreak goes and decides to make (imo, pointless) remakes of gen 3. I was personally hoping they'd skip this and just add Hoenn as an available post-story region in X/Y follow-ups, like being able to visit Kanto in gen 2 and HG/SS, since gen 3 is by far my least favorite in the series.

ok, you can't really say it's pointless (well, you can, but it'd be wrong) since it was important enough to get a remake in the first place, and we haven't seen hoen since the GBA days.

Anyway, I'm sort of glad there wasn't an immediate follow up, since the trend was getting kind of annoying for me, and I'd rather see Kalos come back on a future console rather than have it restricted to one like the sinnoh and unova regions.L95, on 07 May 2014 - 8:08 PM, said:

I'm not seeing why this would have an effect on it. People like to put patterns into the pokemon releases, but even then, with sequels it's only happened once, so It's way to early to jump to conclusions.

this too. don't worry, hoen came out of the blue, so we can never really anticipate what's happening next for sure.

Edited by Comet

I don't think it's just a coincidence that the one gen that had sequel follow-ups instead of a polish/expansion game was also the gen without a remake of any previous gen. Plus, Zygarde is much more indicative of a Pokemon Z than Kyurem was of Pokemon Gray imo.

Yeah, but everyone still went "we're gonna getz Pokemon Gray cuz Kyurem is gray!" I have no doubt it will focus more on Zygarde though.

Comet: I can say it's pointless if I want to. It's my opinion. Anyway, that's not the topic.

Edited by Anacybele

Comet: I can say it's pointless if I want to. It's my opinion. Anyway, that's not the topic.

if you don't want people talking about it, don't bring up in the op

First off, that's not the point.

Point or not, when you use the words "useless" and "waste," you give a bad impression.

Okay, we know you don't like it.

Point made.

No need to continue.

(And it's not even just this. We tell you we know. And we do. Yet you continue. I don't know why.)

Sheesh.

Besides, it's far from pointless.

RSE hasn't been around for a while, so remaking it serves a practical purpose as well.

And to answer your question, they will release a follow-up.

No doubt about it. I mean, it's so obvious. Why even ask? >_>

Edited by Fruity Insanity

To be fair there were no remakes during generation 5 so that may be a bit overdue.

This said, Nintendo gets all the money it can get from its cash cow franchise and the release date just also happens to be perfect for that. It could've been a remake or a sequel and it would've printed money either way.

Maybe they can make the Elite Four interesting this time around, otherwise generation 3 was ok.

Zygarde has lower base stats than Yveltal and Xerneas, that alone makes me think that he has to have an alt form and that a Z game is going to be based on him. Plus they didn't finish the 3D axis' X, Y and Z, it'd be dumb to have a set of games on the 3DS named after only the 2D axis'.

hmm x and y are were just meh to me. If they make a z version I won't be to excited but if they make sequels I would probably buy them. Really excited for the ruby and sapphire sequels though. Sorry ana but I have to disagree with you on the x followups over the new ruby sequels. I am sure they will though, fired and leafgreen came out before emerald so don't worry just yet.

I hope the remakes become the most amazing thing to ever grace video games and that Pokemon ends on that note.

Zygarde has lower base stats than Yveltal and Xerneas, that alone makes me think that he has to have an alt form and that a Z game is going to be based on him. Plus they didn't finish the 3D axis' X, Y and Z, it'd be dumb to have a set of games on the 3DS named after only the 2D axis'.

That's a good point. But if GameFreak is going to go back to the third version route, they better make it even more worth it than Platinum was, cause I don't want to feel like I'm buying the same game again, no matter how good Platinum was. :P

Edited by Anacybele

It would be nice to have Z or XY2, but I'm glad we're taking a break and getting another trip back to Hoenn a.k.a. Best Gen Ever.

Seriously, Gen 3 will always have a place in my heart for giving my all-time favorite Pokemon.

Hoenn is my least favorite region (I do like a lot of the pokemon it introduced though), but I think I'll still enjoy the remakes. I'm gonna be honest though, for some reason I was hoping Game Freak would troll us by saying that they were gonna do a Gen 3 remake, then do another remake of Red and Blue. (Although I would ALWAYS be up for more Johto goodness.)

However we haven't had a Hoenn game in ages, so I think it's necessary.

Oh right, on the subject on an X and Y follow up, I think it's inevitable.

Edited by Kamina

I will admit that it's possible I could change my mind about getting the gen 3 remakes. But as of right now, that possibility is slim. And I realize that Hoenn hasn't been visited in a long time. Again, that's why I said it could've been added as a postgame thing in X/Y follow-ups. Would probably have saved GameFreak time and money too while still catering to all the Hoenn fanboys.

I will admit that it's possible I could change my mind about getting the gen 3 remakes. But as of right now, that possibility is slim. And I realize that Hoenn hasn't been visited in a long time. Again, that's why I said it could've been added as a postgame thing in X/Y follow-ups. Would probably have saved GameFreak time and money too while still catering to all the Hoenn fanboys.

Why shouldn't they use the opportunity to get some easy money? Gen III remakes will sell, why shouldn't they make 2 (x2) games?

I expect XZ/ZX and ZY/YZ in 2015 or 2016 as it provides more money than a single follow-up game.

I'm looking forward to both as I skipped Gen III. As long as Rayquaza is obtainable, I'm satisfied.

Edited by Assurhaddon