1. Cynthia

2. Lance

3. Steven

4. Blue

5. Wallace

6. Alder

7. Diantha

100. Iris

Cynthia has the best team in the series. Period. She's also quite prominent storywise.

Lance is badass and his rematch team in HGSS is awesome.

Steven has a good team and was the original Champion of Hoenn.

Blue has one of my favorite teams but he's an annoying prick.

Wallace has a pretty good team, but his status as Champion is never explained nor expanded upon.

Alder has a nice team but he lost to N. That makes him weak IMO.

Diantha has a boring team and disappears for the entire game until you meet her as the Champion.

Iris is an annoying little brat.

To people voting Red... Red isn't Champion. If he counts, you should count Ghetsis in BW1 too.

Edited by Bird Jesus

1. Cynthia

2. Lance

3. Steven

4. Blue

5. Wallace

6. Alder

7. Diantha

100. Iris

Cynthia has the best team in the series. Period. She's also quite prominent storywise.

Lance is badass and his rematch team in HGSS is awesome.

Steven has a good team and was the original Champion of Hoenn.

Blue has one of my favorite teams but he's an annoying prick.

Wallace has a pretty good team, but his status as Champion is never explained nor expanded upon.

Alder has a nice team but he lost to N. That makes him weak IMO.

Diantha has a boring team and disappears for the entire game until you meet her as the Champion.

Iris is an annoying little brat.

To people voting Red... Red isn't Champion. If he counts, you should count Ghetsis in BW1 too.

More like N than Ghetsis.

Cynthia may have storyline presence but she literally does nothing. She's constantly making you run errands but she immediately shows up after you've completed said errand. And in the distortion world, she does absolutely nothing. The world could come to an end she doesn't seem to give a fuck. She'd rather let a kid handle it.

This, really. Storyline presence is not the same as storyline importance or actually helping you out in any way. Steven does waaayy more, giving you Steel Wing, being part of getting you an EXP share, giving you a Devon Scope, and fighting baddies with you.

I agree she has the most difficult team but that's about it.

It would be N, not Ghetsis. N could definitely count.

I count Red, though, because he is officially a champion, having beaten the Indigo league champion. He's also a champion-esque character in the game, having the champion theme and having the credits played after him.

More like N than Ghetsis.

Nope. N is technically the Champion, since he beat Alder, but the last challenge, which is parallel to the Champion in other games, is Ghetsis.

Or we could end this argument and count both since both have themed teams (though I like Ghetsis' team more because Hydreigon).

This, really. Storyline presence is not the same as storyline importance or actually helping you out in any way. Steven does waaayy more, giving you Steel Wing, being part of getting you an EXP share, giving you a Devon Scope, and fighting baddies with you.

I agree she has the most difficult team but that's about it.

Cynthia is there as mentor she doesn't need to win the battles for you. :P She does give you Togepi (in Platinum I think).

Steven fights alongside you but that's in a game where he isn't the Champion. In RS, you don't have a tag team battle with him, since his Pokémon are supposed to be unknown to the player. The items Steven gives also don't have any real relevance to the story. Steel Wing is a weak TM and Devon Scope is used only once, and for reasons aside from the story. The only really useful one is the Exp. Share.

I think it's pointless to accuse Cynthia of not doing anything since all of the Champions are holding back in their respective stories. I'm pretty sure Lance and Steven could single-handedly take the evil teams down themselves if they wanted to.

Then again, discussing Pokémon storylines is a waste since they're all very simple.

Edited by Bird Jesus

Cynthia is there as mentor she doesn't need to win the battles for you. :P She does give you Togepi (in Platinum I think).

The world is ending. That's a really poor time to be a mentor. Steven is still a former Champion in Emerald and he actively helps out. As does Wallace even though he has to to leave to to do unspecified stuff when you get to Sky Pillar. Lance helps you using his full power too. They're not holding back when the situation calls for seriousness. Nothing indicates that they are holding back. Alder too gives his all but fails to stop N. Cynthia stands next to Cyrus and let's you do all the work at the crucial moment.