just got this. any advice?

i've played fire emblem before but i've no idea about skill management in this game or pairings. i plan on using a femMU, but beyond that i know little about this game. any advice would be appreciated especially with pairings.

If you're not doing Lunatic difficulty or optimizing for Apotheosis (the final, most difficult DLC map), then pairings don't matter all that much, just pair whomever you like. Skill-wise, everyone that can get Galeforce (level 15 Dark Flier skill) should have it, usually only females can have the skill but male children can have it as well if they inherit it from their mothers. Lethality (level 5 Assasin) is too unreliable to be useful, and Astra (level 5 Swordmaster) is too unreliable to be useful on its own. Sage is pretty much the best class in the game, and Taguel is pretty much the worst. If you have specific questions there's already a thread here for that, called "I just want to know one thing: FE13 edition".

Edited by Rollertoaster

First playthroughs are first playthroughs and you don't get another, so don't ruin it by worrying about optimization. This game has a ton of replay value and if you like it enough to bother maxing your team, you'll want to do a second playthrough anyway, so just have fun pair for aesthetics, and don't grind on DLC.