[FE8] Map Troubles

Havel the Rock

Hello. So I'm working on a little project to learn how to hack Fire Emblem. However something is giving me problems. I edited the map of Chapter 2 in Tiled and it worked fine in game, but when I was doing other things to my hack, I discover that the map was messing up.

9tHdTaU.png

I don't know what I did wrong. :s

[spoiler=For people who want to see the map, if this helps.]VOZro33.png

Uhm. I only know how to do FE7 one, but if it's not that different...

Check your rom with that map in nightmare under... chapter data editor.

Change the, IF it's identical as fe7 one, second to fifth(?).

They're coded to the map's palette that you chose.

But I doubts that as the map of your and chapter 2 is identical, so it's likely an error else where.

But try it anyway.

Feeditor will rearrange large amounts of the data in a fresh rom when it first opens it (or saves it, idk which). This probably overwrote your new map with rearranged data. Try opening the rom in feeditor, saving it, and then adding your new map. If i recall correctly, feeditor will automatically handle edits from most other sources after you have done this(although this information is second hand and based on FE6. From what i understand, it works essentualy the same for all gba fes though).

feediwho? I've never heard of either of those programs.

You should use FEditor, which has a free space management system that you can manually override to specify changes you made outside of the program. As a bonus, the documentation that comes with FEditor explains exactly how to do this. FEditor will also apply a bunch of useful patches to your ROM for you in well known free space areas that were agreed upon by the community years ago.

feediwho? I've never heard of either of those programs.

You should use FEditor, which has a free space management system that you can manually override to specify changes you made outside of the program. As a bonus, the documentation that comes with FEditor explains exactly how to do this. FEditor will also apply a bunch of useful patches to your ROM for you in well known free space areas that were agreed upon by the community years ago.

Sure, your know this, and i suspected it, but i gave instructions that can be followed by a newbie and still fix the error. I can see why you would say to check the documentation to learn more, but there is really no need to get all passive-aggresive about one uncapitalized letter. Do you WANT him to quit hacking and this community, because acting like that is an excellent way to cause new members to get fed up and leave.

Edited by sirmola

Although he's being an ass, he did actually create the program so...

Idk

He's a quirky guy and will probably complain about this post :D

The documentation is just for future reference so you don't have issues with FEditor later on in the future and if you do you know how to fix them.

Edited by Skitty of Time

I suppose since javac.exe doesn't mind a few spelling errors here and there either, I should give you all the same privilege.

Do me a favor and tell your English teachers about your sentiments with regards to spelling and grammar, then let me know how they respond - I am genuinely curious.

He's a quirky guy and will probably complain about this post :D

Your posts are hidden for me by default, so the probability of that happening for any given post of yours is very low.

Edited by Aleph

I suppose since javac.exe doesn't mind a few spelling errors here and there either, I should give you all the same privilege.

Do me a favor and tell your English teachers about your sentiments with regards to spelling and grammar, then let me know how they respond - I am genuinely curious.

Since you asked--

We mark it with red pen and go back to concerning ourselves with the content of the essay. We address major errors in grammar and syntax with a bit more detail and circumspection, but generally speaking, a fuss over something that minor when the rest of the work is perfectly comprehensible is counterproductive (beyond of course, the aforementioned marked correction.) Considering the fact that this is a relatively informal public forum and that pretty much everyone could discern what he was talking about, it's even more wasteful.

Also, we certainly don't take the opportunity afforded by a single misplaced letter to present an incredible level of smugness and boorishness that you just did.

Edited by Siuloir

There's a huge difference between a misplaced letter and an intentional disregard for correct spelling.

I also don't see how comprehensibility is adequate when inconsistency, laziness and ignorance have some of the more brutal consequences humans are capable of.

To the extent of warranting smugness and boorishness.

If you have the capacity to write well then you have no excuse to not correct your spelling* and grammar accuracy in passing.

* Also, really? Spelling proper nouns wrong? From what I can tell most spelling errors (not mistakes like the typographical kind, but actual errors in which the person writing believes they are correct) result from people learning or being taught the wrong spelling. Proper nouns are names of things that are contemporary. They are recently learned, not ingrained years prior and excusably misunderstood. It requires extreme disregard, resembling or equating to disrespect, to habitually misspell them.

Edited by Aleph

There's a huge difference between a misplaced letter and an intentional disregard for correct spelling.

I also don't see how comprehensibility is adequate when inconsistency, laziness and ignorance have some of the more brutal consequences humans are capable of.

To the extent of warranting smugness and boorishness.

If you have the capacity to write well then you have no excuse to not correct your spelling* and grammar accuracy in passing.

* Also, really? Spelling proper nouns wrong? From what I can tell most spelling errors (not mistakes like the typographical kind, but actual errors in which the person writing believes they are correct) result from people learning or being taught the wrong spelling. Proper nouns are names of things that are contemporary. They are recently learned, not ingrained years prior and excusably misunderstood. It requires extreme disregard, resembling or equating to disrespect, to habitually misspell them.

I suppose we can add melodramatic to the list. The amount of presupposition derived from these minor spelling mistakes is little silly.

Wherein did they insist their spellings were the correct ones, incidentally?

Also how relevant do you think Feditor is to the average person's life that the correct spelling is so ingrained? Also, proper nouns are by no means whatsoever 'contemporary'. Things long passed into antiquity still have proper nouns assigned to them, as do things that are by in large unknown to the general populace. Do you get angry over someone mispelling 'Antikythera Mechanism?'

Relax.