(GBAFE) Imported Music Sound Quality?

Shauni

I've been wondering for a while now: Why is it that most hacks we have now with custom music still sound really midi-ish?

Fe7IF somehow managed to do it so that most songs sounded as though they were composed originally for the game (or at least emulated the original game's instruments a little better).

To compare:

Is really midi sounding when compared to the music in this video

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to peak into the hack via hex editor to see if any changes involving the instruments were made?

Edited by Shauni

That Live-A-Live track in the second video is still a bit off from its original sound quality, but the different instruments are probably to blame. Still needs some volume adjusting on the electric guitar...

As far as I know, you can convert SPCs to MIDI with pretty much 1:1 similarity to the original game track. That FFIX track might have been made by hand and not optimized, where as an SPC conversion usually sounds much more faithful, excluding any instrument and volume changes.

I'll upload a video of higher quality music from Fe7if in the morning, however I doubt that is the case (at least for all of the songs in the hack) as there are songs that had to have been transcribed into midi form as their original games did not use SPC formatting. (Flickerei Geist from SRWOG2nd is a PS3 game and it's remixed in a more theatrical form in FE7if without an overly midi sound to it.)

Edited by Shauni

They sound MIDI-ish because they use general MIDI samples. The "All Instruments Patch" that Blazer made is responsible for this. FE7if made the smart decision to import their own samples to use in the game which sound a lot better. It's all in the samples.

An SPC conversion can sound NEARLY 1:1 but it takes up a lot of processing power due to the sheer amount of commands it has to process, which is approximately x30 times as many lines as a standard FE7 song in the same amount of time.

That Live-A-Live track in the second video is still a bit off from its original sound quality, but the different instruments are probably to blame. Still needs some volume adjusting on the electric guitar...

As far as I know, you can convert SPCs to MIDI with pretty much 1:1 similarity to the original game track. That FFIX track might have been made by hand and not optimized, where as an SPC conversion usually sounds much more faithful, excluding any instrument and volume changes.

That 'guitar' is absolutely wretched.

I'll upload a video of higher quality music from Fe7if in the morning, however I doubt that is the case (at least for all of the songs in the hack) as there are songs that had to have been transcribed into midi form as their original games did not use SPC formatting. (Flickerei Geist from SRWOG2nd is a PS3 game and it's remixed in a more theatrical form in FE7if without an overly midi sound to it.)

The sequence data can be stored as MIDI to trigger the samples. I'm pretty sure the OG2nd is through-composed though, so it's quite likely by-ear transcription.

I would never do that track in FE instruments, personally.