FE8 Event editing

MattYCustov

IIRC, we do not yet know how to change the world map events, and the complexity of the event system in general is one of the reasons that people tend to hack fe7(in which we can do almost anything with the event system of given enough experience). Go play an fe8 hack like midnight sun and you will see that the map events are identical, and the plot must be written around them. Beyond that, i don't know, as I have never hacked FE8.

For chapter events you can look at Archs event tutorial, though some things are off iirc (like you can't actually use LOU1, I'm not sure if he's updated that or not). For world map events no one that I know has managed to figure them out, so far as changing the map goes. Midnight Sun changed the text and there's a module for changing the icons that show up there, say a castle instead of a fort.

the complexity of the event system in general is one of the reasons that people tend to hack fe7

I've found this is only true if you learn FE7 first, if you try learning FE8 first you won't have to unlearn anything and it should be easier to grasp.

tl;dr: Chapter events yes, Map event no.

Edited by Matt Snow

You can change the locations of world map places (coordinate data is located in the same place as the aforementioned icon data) as well, but if you do that it's best to graphically remove the "lines" connecting the places, as the locations of those won't change for some reason.

Otherwise, world map events for 8 are similar to those for 7 except with less documentation (i.e. you can use event assembler on it).

I've found this is only true if you learn FE7 first, if you try learning FE8 first you won't have to unlearn anything and it should be easier to grasp.

OK then, looks like I've got nothing to unlearn seeing how this is my first hack

:P

You can change the locations of world map places (coordinate data is located in the same place as the aforementioned icon data) as well, but if you do that it's best to graphically remove the "lines" connecting the places, as the locations of those won't change for some reason.

Otherwise, world map events for 8 are similar to those for 7 except with less documentation (i.e. you can use event assembler on it).

"For some reason"? Why would they change? If they did that would mean those lines are calculated. I doubt that IS wasted pathfinding efforts on something that could be made static.

The real questions are whether it's image data and whether it's embedded in the world map if so.