How many characters can I have?

Awakening was my first FE and you can have as many characters as you want, but looks like it's different in this game.

I just read that you need characters to die in order to get new ones. Is that true? ._.

Why so cruel? D:

(Sorry if I say something weird, English it's not my native language)

There are specific characters who only appear in gaiden chapters (kinda like paralogues in awakening), and the requirement for those gaidens to occur is having a certain amount of characters alive or less. If nobody dies then you can never get to the gaiden chapters, and thus, never get those characters.

If you don't have enough units alive to field a full deployment then the game gives you faceless generics with random names to fill your roster out.

Edited by Irysa

There are specific characters who only appear in gaiden chapters (kinda like paralogues in awakening), and the requirement for those gaidens to occur is having a certain amount of characters alive or less. If nobody dies then you can never get to the gaiden chapters, and thus, never get those characters.

If you don't have enough units alive to field a full deployment then the game gives you faceless generics with random names to fill your roster out.

So maybe I should kill some of them? I mean, I'm just on chapter 3 and I have a lot of characters...even more than I need.

That pretty much depends how comfortable you are about letting units die. If you don't care, by all means, but most people would hate to let anyone die, even on purpose. Most of the gaiden characters aren't exactly good units either. They have some neat backstories at least. If you want to see them just make sure to have a total army of 15 or less units after chapter 6, 12, 17 and 20.

Nagi is another gaiden character, but she's more specific. (Tiki has to be dead and you can't have Falchion after chapter 24).

Edited by Irysa