Passive or non-activation skills that are applied upon pair up when equipped onto the secondary unit

sirhcle

Hi all,

My first post. I've only ever played Fire Emblem: Awakening out of the series and have just finished a Lunatic run. I just got through the first 4 chapters on Lunatic+ on classic - so quite happy. It was a huge learning curve and I found most of the information on Serenesforest website and forums to be quite helpful and of good quality. This time around I'm determined to make a stronger team and have been looking into making support units out of characters that can't obtain Galeforce (mostly gen 1 units).

I was wondering which skills worked on pair up when equipped to the secondary unit but had a rough time finding answers online. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information and the general consensus at-a-glance seems to be something along the lines of: all skills that don't require activation. Further reading suggests that faires, breakers, +stats and armsthrift work, but skills like miracle and renewal don't. I read somewhere that Rightful King doesn't work but haven't found a reliable way to test it.

I spent some time testing these passive skills when equipped onto my secondary (back) unit and pairing up with a primary (front) unit. I removed all skills from both characters except the skill that I was testing (i.e. axebreaker, bowfaire, Magic +2). I paired them up, and then recorded damage, accuracy% and stats of primary character. Reset the game, removed all skills from both characters, paired them up and tested again making sure to attack the same enemy unit with the same weapons (testing on pair up is essential so that the +skills stat doesn't affect hit/crit rate... perhaps previously things were tested between single units and then as a paired unit without factoring in the increased skill stat?). Also, all of it was tested on Lunatic difficulty because we don't want any random skills swapping out on enemies.

My results suggests that these skills do not add any passive bonuses/effects to the primary unit when these skills are equipped onto the secondary unit during pair up:

HP +5

Defence +2

Magic +2 (This may extend to all +2 modifiers)

Movement +1

Indoor Fighter

Zeal

Prescience

breakers (did not test avoid, not sure how to?) (tested axe and bow)

faires (tested axe and sword)

Armsthrift

Deliverer

Defender

Quickburn

Counter

These skills do add passive bonuses/effects to the primary unit when these skills are equipped onto the secondary unit during pair up:

Dual Strike

Dual Guard

These skill effects are applied to enemies when unit with equipped skills are in the secondary position of a pair up.

Anathema

Soliditary

Not sure if I've done anything wrong in the testing, but the method here sounds pretty solid (to me at least! :[ ). I just hope that others who are looking for the same kind of information find it useful.

I was putting Dual Guard, Dual Support, Deliverer and breakers on my support units. I suppose no need to grind too hard now. :'D

In summary:

Misconception that passive skills transfer to primary unit (excluding healing ones) when paired up (or at least that's what I thought when searching through forums).

* Skill effects or stat bonuses aren't passed on from secondary to primary unit.

* Dual Strike, Dual Guard and Dual Support are applied to the both units in the pair (when skills are equipped on either units).

* Skills that affect the allies/pairup-buddy/enemies stats work for 'radius' skills (e.g. Soliditary, charm and anathema) when equipped onto a secondary unit.

* Skills like +2 stats, quickburn, breakers and faires are not transferable to primary units when these skills are equipped onto secondary unit.

Edited by sirhcle

Welcome to Serenesforest, Mr. Circle. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

I don't think you're correct about the Anathema effects, but if you are, you should probably add Hex to that list.

Also, add the Dual Support+ skill to that list as well. And check for Solidarity and Charm. Add Veteran, Counter and Wrath, to the ones that don't work.

Regardless of all this, there's probably a note somewhere on the actual page itself. Go check it.

Edited by Logience

I tested Anathema with 2 units and then with 3 units. :D

First run: Secondary unit with Anathema paired to attacker within 3 tiles of the enemy.

Second Run: Both units paired up, both without Anathema within 3 tiles of the enemy.
Third run: Both units without Anathema paired, a third unit with anathema within 3 tiles of the enemy.

1st and 3rd run increased my hit rate. Whilst 2nd didn't.

So I concluded that anathema works.

Solidarity works. Counter doesn't.

Edited by sirhcle

Solidarity works. Counter doesn't.

well of course counter doesnt work, lol. The secondary unit isnt the one getting hit.

Also the __faire skills work for the secondary unit, so does magic +2/str+2 so they get more damage. Dual Support+ works as well, and Hex is basically the same as Anathema so that works too. Im pretty sure Charm works

Edited by Waifu Severa

Skills never "transfer effects to the primary unit" unless they say they do, and the ones that do don't affect the bearer, even if they switch into the lead. Hex and Anathema affect enemies, not your units. Demoiselle/Charm/Solidarity affect allies within a radius of the user, and being on top of them counts. DG, DS and support bonuses are calculated from both unit's stats, so adding a D+ skill has the same effect whether on the front or back.

As for the rest, they all affect only the unit who has them equipped. They either do nothing (procs), have no effect because the unit doesn't get attacked (+Avo skills/Counter), or work normally (everything else).

Skills never "transfer effects to the primary unit" unless they say they do, and the ones that do don't affect the bearer, even if they switch into the lead. Hex and Anathema affect enemies, not your units. Demoiselle/Charm/Solidarity affect allies within a radius of the user, and being on top of them counts. DG, DS and support bonuses are calculated from both unit's stats, so adding a D+ skill has the same effect whether on the front or back.

As for the rest, they all affect only the unit who has them equipped. They either do nothing (procs), have no effect because the unit doesn't get attacked (+Avo skills/Counter), or work normally (everything else).

This is quite correct. And yes, sorry I meant affects the 'enemies' for Hex and Anathema as it applies nothing to the main unit.

It is damn refreshing to hear someone say "As for the rest, they all affect only the unit who has them equipped" I wish someone told me this from the beginning.

well of course counter doesnt work, lol. The secondary unit isnt the one getting hit.

Also the __faire skills work for the secondary unit, so does magic +2/str+2 so they get more damage. Dual Support+ works as well, and Hex is basically the same as Anathema so that works too. Im pretty sure Charm works

When I equipped -faire, mag+2 and str+2 skills onto the secondary unit, they did not add any extra stats for the primary unit.

i.e. If your secondary unit has swordfaire and a sword equipped. Your main unit won't get any bonus stats regardless of holding a sword or not. Of course, if you switch and make the secondary -> primary unit then the bonuses do apply for your current primary unit with the swordfaire skill as per usual.

Edited by sirhcle