Persona 5 Thread - New Teaser

Icarusu

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_9r4wifFc

New trailer for Persona 5, showing off three new characters, the art style, and the theme of the game. From the looks of it, you and the two other people (and a cat) are a bunch of thieves. Shows off a music track, too. Finally, judging from the last few seconds, it looks like the characters physically change into their Personas

Sadly, no news on a release date

D03Quob.jpg

This poster was also at the venue. I think the main character pinched Naoto's trousers

Oh, something I noticed upon watching it again: the menu didn't have a Social Links option. There is a new sub-menu called "co-operation", however. Perhaps Social Links are being scrapped this time around

Edited by DodgeDusk

Holy shit I'm excited. Looks awesome.

I'm getting serious Catherine vibes from the art style.

Those models look right out of it.

Exactly what I thought when I saw the gameplay. Looks like Persona 5 uses Catherine's engine.

Get yourself ready for a pimp that will rival those of past persona games.

I'm not sure about how I feel about fighting regular demons though. It makes sense for other smt games, but persona's a bit different. Fighting shadows, the repressed feeling seems more fit as mooks than the normal smt demons. Let the normal demons be personas. Anyway, I wonder if we will be able to negotiate with the new demon enemies now. Would be kind of weird for persona but whatever.

The first three Persona games (1 and 2:IS and 2:EP) had you fighting demons already. And you did negotiate with demons too. However this looks a bit more action RPG than straight turn based combat. In a way it reminds me of the direction FFXV is taking, but in the world of a Persona game.

I think it's going to return to its turn-based RPG gameplay, similar to the two previous entries. It definitely looks flashier, though

Mz0C0Qg.gif

Game's taking place in Shibuya. Also, the cat is in the protagonist's bag in that gif

EDIT: Two hours late, but I saw a typo. Oops

Edited by DodgeDusk

P5MC's persona is called Shax.

Shax is a Goetian demon who is quite literally the master thief of hell. Pretty fitting! I hope the rest of the cast gets Goetian-inspired personae.

The first three Persona games (1 and 2:IS and 2:EP) had you fighting demons already. And you did negotiate with demons too. However this looks a bit more action RPG than straight turn based combat. In a way it reminds me of the direction FFXV is taking, but in the world of a Persona game.

Basically this. Also, MAJOR Catherine aesthetics. Which... eh. Catherine's aesthetics were okay for me.

I may not mind the more action-oriented gameplay as long as it's implemented well. Gathering from the trailers that this game is about thieving and stealth, it would make sense to be action-oriented or at least have elements of it. And at least it still seems that they have the turn-based fighting in there too.

But it only took them this many years to finally come out with a game on PS3. I originally wanted to get the PS3 when this game came out, but I foolishly forgot that Atlus released P4 far in PS2's life and might do it to P5. It's only by chance that I got the PS3 for other interests--many years after the PS3 came out.

So, the girl reminds me about Catherine and Lisa. The blonde hair dude reminds me about all of the generic lame ass sidekick. Main character is fine. The cat is fine too.

There's also the Joker dude who seems to be a potential playable character.

I like how guns are back as an additional weapon to melee weapons. Speaking of them, it looks like Potter had a knife and a handgun, Ryuuji had a pipe and a shotgun(?), Anzu had a whip and I don't know what kind of gun she had, and Morgana had a scimitar(?) and a slingshot. Igor is back, along with young(?) twin attendants wearing eye patches, and the Velvet theme is a prison. Music from the trailer is super sweet. I wonder who the mysterious fox/tanooki/something-masked person was. Maybe a party member not part of the main 4? Potter's persona, whether it's Shax or something different, has a nice top hat. I'm not sure on Shax though because all though in one part of the trailer it had a long thin beak like Shax's normal interpretation in SMT, on the poster it is beakless while still had the top hat and wings.

I like how guns are back as an additional weapon to melee weapons. Speaking of them, it looks like Potter had a knife and a handgun, Ryuuji had a pipe and a shotgun(?), Anzu had a whip and I don't know what kind of gun she had, and Morgana had a scimitar(?) and a slingshot. Igor is back, along with young(?) twin attendants wearing eye patches, and the Velvet theme is a prison. Music from the trailer is super sweet. I wonder who the mysterious fox/tanooki/something-masked person was. Maybe a party member not part of the main 4? Potter's persona, whether it's Shax or something different, has a nice top hat. I'm not sure on Shax though because all though in one part of the trailer it had a long thin beak like Shax's normal interpretation in SMT, on the poster it is beakless while still had the top hat and wings.

Anzu (people are saying it might be Anne, since the Japanese implies it could be one or the other. It's not unheard of to have Western names in Persona [Lisa from Persona 2 is an example of this[) uses a whip and an SMG, the latter being confirmed in a screenshot that wasn't taken from the trailer

As for the bolded, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Shax has a different appearance for this game, since similar things have happened to Cerberus, Hermes, and I believe Isis. The name of the protagonist's Persona is unknown at this point of time, though, so it could be anything

As for the bolded, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Shax has a different appearance for this game, since similar things have happened to Cerberus, Hermes, and I believe Isis. The name of the protagonist's Persona is unknown at this point of time, though, so it could be anything

That's true. Well, for right now I'll go with Shax because of the thief stuff Shax is associated with. It definitely could be something else, but I like Shax when it appears in games. I tend to be a fan of the Goetic demons.

Edited by Konnor97

That's true. Well, for right now I'll go with Shax because of the thief stuff Shax is associated with. It definitely could be something else, but I like Shax when it appears in games. I tend to be a fan of the Goetic demons.

Could well be. One thing I've noticed is that the Persona has a large heart on its shoulder, with four smaller ones next to it. Now, I'm no expert on history, but doesn't Jack the Ripper have five proven deaths on him, with all five of those victims found without a heart? It's something to take note of

Could well be. One thing I've noticed is that the Persona has a large heart on its shoulder, with four smaller ones next to it. Now, I'm no expert on history, but doesn't Jack the Ripper have five proven deaths on him, with all five of those victims found without a heart? It's something to take note of

Hmm, interesting observation. Maybe there'll be a friendly Jack the Ripper demon.

Hmm, interesting observation. Maybe there'll be a friendly Jack the Ripper demon.

It's not an unrealistic possibility, since Jack the Ripper is kind of the third Jack Brother (alongside Jack Frost and Pyro Jack).

As for the lack of Social Links, I'm sure they'll be in the game in some way. Considering how those were a key part in the Persona games going mainstream in the first place, I bet they'll be in. Though maybe they changed the system somewhat, to be more like supports or even like how Xenoblade had the Heart to Heart and Affinity systems...?

As for the lack of Social Links, I'm sure they'll be in the game in some way. Considering how those were a key part in the Persona games going mainstream in the first place, I bet they'll be in. Though maybe they changed the system somewhat, to be more like supports or even like how Xenoblade had the Heart to Heart and Affinity systems...?

I personally think it has something to do with that Cooperation option on the menu. They may even switch it up to be instead of, "Look at other's points of view," it may be, "Let others see your point of view," if that "Take your heart" thing is used in a charisma sense. Just a theory, but it's a possibility.

Who knows? Maybe it'll go back to the style of the first 2/3 persona games without social links, but feature something along the lines of the party social links in P4? instead of simply battle oriented perks though, perhaps they would also affect they way the apparent platforming/stealth sequences play out? Perhaps social links will be replaced with something completely different altogether that you couldn't predict. It is Atlus after all.

Also, is it just me or does the man at 1:56 look a little too much like Junpei?

And the whole transforming into the Personas aspect I am completely in love with. They did something similar in Digital Devil Saga, and I think it makes more sense in Persona then that game. I can understand why they didn't want to reuse evokers, and despite the fact that tarot cards made the most sense out of the two of them, I didn't personally like that concept. One returning mechanic I really want to see is Fusion Spells. Even though they didn't add THAT much to the game, I still quite liked them despite how little a lot of them made. Orpheus+Apsaras= 50% and evasion up? You can't deny the satisfaction of casting Armageddon and seeing everything die.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/02/05/persona-5-producer-shares-thoughts-trailer-characters/

This is a little late, and if you're interested in Persona 5 you've probably already read this but here you go anyway. It's a few of the thought from Hashino about the trailer and characters, and the thing I found most interesting was this,

"For this game, we’re going with a challenge that fuses together a juvenile school setting that is as large as life, together with a picaresque romance. In the previous game, we wrote a story that involved having a justice group chase down a bad guy that could easily be feared by just about anyone.

This time, it’s about a group of high school students that are being “chased” by unexpected occurrences due to the justice they believe in. We’re writing [the story] to convey a thrilling everyday life in the shoes of these characters, that are as large as life, in this juvenile school setting."

I think that sounds pretty cool, and seems to be a pretty big thematic different from 3 and 4. I remember Hashino saying similar about this last year, and it was about the thematic colouring. All of the Persona games pick a colour to tie in with their themes, with those being, 3 ->Adolescence=Blue, and 4 ->Mystery=Yellow, and about how the Red in Persona 5 represented the characters trying to break out of societies norms. (I have no idea how blue represents adolescence or how that was the main theme of P3 but whatever.)