Persona 5 Thread - New Teaser

Icarusu

Just going to list a couple of things:

Now, for the actual game:

• The motorbike the girl rides has a high chance of being her Persona, since it has a mask on the front. If so, then NeoGAF user the_sun_king has heard a theory as to who the Persona might be!
  • There are two types of physical attacks. Chances are it refers to the two different weapons each character can use (melee and a firearm). So I'm guessing the Personas in the game can learn melee and pierce skills, and these would go under physical skills. Like how in Persona 3 you had Slash, Bash, and Pierce skills
  • There seem to be two new magic types: one is depicted with a pink swirl, and the other a nuclear symbol. There is a possibility the nuclear symbol might represent Almighty, and the pink swirl is Gravity--a type of spell that hasn't been seen since Persona 1
  • The name of the "hacker girl" is Sakura Futaba, and her Persona is a UFO called Necronomicon. The girl who appears on the middle right in the box art might be named Tsukasa, though I'm not finding concrete proof regarding that

There's a lot more stuff, so I might post more points later

I just realized something:
This game is coming out on September 2016, the same month as FFVX!
That's a bold move Atlus!
Guess September will be a war of JRPGs in Japan!

Atlus is trying to take Square Enix's heart

It is really bold move. I hope having the two releasing so close to each other just jeopardize Persona 5's sales too much

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you referring to the person behind the bar in one of the clips? If so, that's just the main character; he can have a part-time job working in the cafè he lives in

Why did I see the protagonist of Catherine in the new pv?

Hes in persona 3, a far more striking resemblance.

------

Anyone know if theres an english sub for the trailer?

Theory time on how MC ends up in the Velvet Room: MC commits petty crime, gets thrown in a cell overnight to teach him a lesson or something, and during his sleep he ends up in the Velvet Room, where that cutscene with Igor takes place.

Well, the newest Dengeki has Persona 5 news and screen shots! There are some more here, too. The information below is from Famitsu

Things to note:

• The girl who rides the motorcycle Persona is called Makoto Niijima, and her Persona is called Johanna, named after Pope Joan. Her Japanese voice actress is Rina Sató. The woman who interrogates the MC shares her surname, which could mean she is her mother
  • The girl who wears the cavalier hat is called Haru Okumura, and her Persona is called Milady, named after Milady de Winter from The Three Musketeers. Her Japanese voice actress is Haruka Tomatsu
  • Sakura Futaba's voice actress is Aoi Yuki
  • Each Persona will evolve in a unique way

Lastly, and I'll put this under a spoiler since it's story-related

The main character gets put into the rehabilitation school because he injures a man who harasses women. He decides to fight against that, turning into a Phantom Thief, and unlocking Arséne and the power of the Wild Card in the process

Edited by DodgeDusk

Oh Gee, Atlus versus Square Enix... how terifying, I wonder which one is better ? /sarcasm.

Plot wise I hope it will be not hypocritical, japanese-biased, statu-quo-ist and anime as all hell. Persona 4, after analyzing, while still a good constructed and designed game, is... you get the point.I don't want things like 'Oh, it's fine after all I fully accepted my position in life an society and blabla !'. Don't. You see what I mean.

Strangely enough, the graphism give me hope, it looks a lot like Catherine, and Catherine really impressed me plot-wise.

The question how whatever the game will be good or not doesn't even have to be asked, it will be good, I'm sure of it.

I'm hyped, very hyped !

Lastly, and I'll put this under a spoiler since it's story-related

The main character gets put into the rehabilitation school because he injures a man who harasses women. He decides to fight against that, turning into a Phantom Thief, and unlocking Arséne and the power of the Wild Card in the process

Theory I found on tvtropes-time.

On Tvtropes, I've read a WMG theory that the Rehabilitation School is a Rehabilitation School only by name, because of various social changes it either had to accept 'nicer' students or be shut down. The theory finished by stating that, ironically, the main character would be one of the only person in this school because of an actual crime. The fact that the MC's 'crime' is protecting a woman, make it even more ironic and interesting.

Edited by B.Leu

Multiple websites already did translations like these two. Curious to see how Makoto is going to use Johanna in battle since its a vehicle, also into what it'll possibly evolve.

Also, we have so far :
Protagonist / Arsene : Fool
Ryuji / Captain Kidd : Magician ?
Anne / Carmen : Lovers ?

Yusuke / Goemon : Hanged Man ? (I thought something like Hermit at first, but since Necronomicon took that slot...)

Morgana / Zorro : Emperor ?
Makoto / Yohanna : Empress/Priestess ?
Sakura / Necronomicon : Hermit

Haru / Milady : Priestess/Empress ?

The only ones pretty much confirmed are Arsene and Necronomicon.

There's also

with different nicknames for the party :

ジョーカー Joker, the protagonist

スカル Skull, Ryuji

クイーン Queen, Anne

パンサー Panther ?, Morgana

イナリ Inari (related to foxes iirc), Yusuke

ノワール Noire, Makoto

I'm pretty sure a lot of people on the internet already have speculated over all of this, but I didn't follow any of it so this is just my take on these tidbits

Edited by Avk

Can't comment on the Arcanas, but we already know who gets what nickname. For those who don't want to click:

• Main protagonist: Joker
  • Ryuji: Skull
  • Anne: Panther
  • Morgana: Monarch
  • Yusuke: Fox
  • Haru: Noire
  • Makoto: Queen
  • Futaba: Navi
  • The last character has "Cr", which people are guessing is Crow

Ah, didn't know about that, thanks. I can see how Makoto could be Queen and Anne Panther, I'm curious for Haru though, "Noire" doesn't seem to fit her image. Morgana being Monarch seems to reinforce the idea of Zorro being of the Emperor Arcana.

Pretty hyped for the game (even though I don't own the consoles that run the game), hopefully we'll get the western release dates announced at E3.

Edited by Avk

Actually, it's very likely that Ryuji's Arcana is Death.

Ryuji's bio mention that he wasn't always a rebel, and that something happened that made him change.

This great change in life is what the Death Arcana is about.

It also fits his "Skull" theme.

I mostly just want some variety in the party's Arcana this time around. Hermit's a nice start, but we really don't need a fourth Lovers party member or a fourth Magician party member. (I'd say that for Priestess as well, but all signs point to Makoto being Priestess already.)

I mostly just want some variety in the party's Arcana this time around. Hermit's a nice start, but we really don't need a fourth Lovers party member or a fourth Magician party member. (I'd say that for Priestess as well, but all signs point to Makoto being Priestess already.)

What signs her to be a Priestess?

Makoto's personality is more fitting of the Empress or Hierophant.

Priestess is more fitting for either Yusuke or Haru, considering their bios.

My guesses for the Arcana are:

Anne: Lovers

Ryuji: Death

Morgana: Devil

Yusuke: Priestess

Makoto: Empress/Hierophant

Haru: Magician

People guess Priestess because of the BJ on her collar.

My guesses for party Arcana.

Ryuji: Death

Anne: Lovers

Yusuke: Hanged Man

Morgana: Emperor

Makoto: Priestess

Haru: Wheel of Fortune

Crow: Justice

Edited by Konnor97

Her Persona is a mythical female Pope and the alternate name for the Priestess Arcana is The Popess (and the Priestess itself was based on the same figure as her Persona), the B and J that appear on Priestess cards is on the insignia of the collar of her uniform, and the Priestess Arcana is more associated with wisdom and untapped power, which fits Makoto better than the Empress, which primary represents a mother and traits that would best represent that.

(Also Yusuke wouldn't be Priestess, that's one of the few Arcana associated exclusively with women.)

Edited by AzureSen

Her Persona is a mythical female Pope and the alternate name for the Priestess Arcana is The Popess (and the Priestess itself was based on the same figure as her Persona), the B and J that appear on Priestess cards is on the insignia of the collar of her uniform, and the Priestess Arcana is more associated with wisdom and untapped power, which fits Makoto better than the Empress, which primary represents a mother and traits that would best represent that.

(Also Yusuke wouldn't be Priestess, that's one of the few Arcana associated exclusively with women.)

Actually, Priestess can symbolize men, but it's very rare.

Makoto seems to be a strict figure, who probably be the party member who will look after the other characters, similar to Mitsuru, which is why I said Empress.

However, her strict behavior is also very fitting of the Hierophant, which is also know as the pope.

As you said, Priestess is also associated with wisdom, but also with reclusive behavior, which doesn't fit Makoto.

It's interesting however, that like Sakura, Anne is also said to be rather reclusive.

Edited by Water Mage

Actually, Priestess can symbolize men, but it's very rare.

Makoto seems to be a strict figure, who probably be the party member who will look after the other characters, similar to Mitsuru, which is why I said Empress.

However, her strict behavior is also very fitting of the Hierophant, which is also know as the pope.

As you said, Priestess is also associated with wisdom, but also with reclusive behavior, which doesn't fit Makoto.

It's interesting however, that like Sakura, Anne is also said to be rather reclusive.

I'm actually kind of curious where you heard that, because as far as I know no actual methodology for reading and divining Tarot interprets the Priestess as male ever. (My arguments so far have been based on the Waite interpretations of the Tarot, by the way.)

Honestly, arguing about Tarot meanings is kind of pointless, since Atlus doesn't always follow the meaning of the Tarot to the letter anyway, and have over time added their own interpretations.

It's hard to say for anyone else, because Makoto is the person whose personality we've had the most insight on, but if I had to hazard a guess:

-Ryuji: Devil.

-Anne: Magician.

-Morgana: Emperor.

-Yusuke: Hanged Man.

-Makoto: Priestess or Justice.

-Haru: Strength.

-Mystery Boy: Justice because he's an older Ken. If not, then who knows.

I'm actually kind of curious where you heard that, because as far as I know no actual methodology for reading and divining Tarot interprets the Priestess as male ever. (My arguments so far have been based on the Waite interpretations of the Tarot, by the way.)

Honestly, arguing about Tarot meanings is kind of pointless, since Atlus doesn't always follow the meaning of the Tarot to the letter anyway, and have over time added their own interpretations.

It's hard to say for anyone else, because Makoto is the person whose personality we've had the most insight on, but if I had to hazard a guess:

-Ryuji: Devil.

-Anne: Magician.

-Morgana: Emperor.

-Yusuke: Hanged Man.

-Makoto: Priestess or Justice.

-Haru: Strength.

-Mystery Boy: Justice because he's an older Ken. If not, then who knows.

Here's where I've heard:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/high_priestess.shtml

Anyway, actually, the Tarot meanings in Persona games are actually quite accurate.

The first two games, however, doesn't follow the tarot meanings very well, but Persona 3 and Persona 4 are very accurate when it comes to tarot.

Especially Persona 4.

Persona 4 uses the tarot meanings masterfully. Persona 3 the Anwser also use the Tarot motiff well, but Persona 4 still uses them best.

The meanings of Tarot and the major Arcana are incredibly accurate in Persona 4.

Particulary, Yukiko as Priestess, Teddie as Star, Rise as Lovers, Nanako as Justice, Hisano as Death,

Daisuk and Kou as Strenght, Naoki as Hanged Man and Sayoko as Devil.

Actually every single social link in Persona 4 use their Tarot motiff very well, incredibly so in fact.

I could go hours on why they are accurate, but I won't bother you guys.

Edited by Water Mage

• 3 weeks later...

Game will release February 14, 2017 on NA

http://kotaku.com/persona-5-wont-be-out-in-north-america-until-february-2-1780940216

PS3/PS4 in case anyone had any doubt about the former

There's a Morgana plush in the special edition

Edited by Tonton