Questions about the RNG

OTheFool

Okay, so my loins have been burning with this question for quite a while. I've been playing Lunatic mode for the first time, so I've been trying to manipulate the Event Spaces to get some good exp for Chrom and my Avatar. But no matter how much I reset my battle save, I always get weapon experience. Am I just unlucky, or is it decided at the start of the turn?

Further more, in shadowofchaos's "Marth, why won't you crit?!" video, he has a save that guarantees that anyone with over 5% crit rate will crit? How does that work?

In a nutshell, how exactly does the RNG work, and how can I manipulate it?

Well, for the Marth crit... It is my belief that in a spoiler free way:

That Marth does not critical because of two reasons, as in game reason and an out of game reason

in game reason: Marth obviously doesn't want to kill anyone of Chrom's Merry Band so, Marth holds back his punches and does not crit and thus the cut in does not display.

out of game reason:

Marth's ability to not crit is a feature of the lodestar class

this prevents spoilers since the cut in will not play in normal-lunatic modes and will avoid spoilers of Marth's identity. However in Lunatic+ the cut in plays due to his Lunatic+ ability not due to his crit since you already have beaten the game once and thus the developers need not to worry about spoiling the player.

So in summery no matter what Marth's displayed ability to critical, he will not crit unless he is in Lunatic+ where the cut-in will display due to his Lunatic+ skill and not his critical attack

I recall a thread about this somewhere...

here I dredged it up for you:

*spoilers in thread*

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=43281&hl=%2Bmarth+%2Bcritical#entry2645509

don't post in that thread since it counts as necroing and that is bad.

Edit: It looks like I am giving way too much credit to myself... at that time I did not own the game yet, so I was just using info from others to form my ideas about this Marth non crit thing.

Edited by Sifer

I may be wrong about this, but speaking from personal experience the RNG for the event tiles is decided at the start of the match, and the contents of said tile will be the same unless you restart the entire map from the preparation screen.

As for other RNG...the circumstances for the next battle, or level up will always seem to be pre-rolled just before the move that initiates them happens. This seems to result in thing like ALWAYS missing this particular attack, ALWAYS getting this 5% crit to happen, or ALWAYS getting this set of level up stats on this character. This means that even if you reload the game through a battle save the same exact things will always still happen, because the RNG is not rolled realtime, and is instead periodically rolled.

A way to manipulate this I discovered is to force the game to reroll the RNG again until it is in your favor. This usually can be done by acting with other characters first, or attacking different enemies in various orders. Moving, and waiting does not seem to do anything, and the RNG reroll seems to be primarily tied to actual battles.

I'd assume shadowofchaos achieved his save by doing this to the RNG until it had rolled that on NEXT ATTACK the enemy will perform a critical hit.

I'm not too sure on the specifics though. In one chapter I once tried to feed the boss kill exp to one of my other weaker units, and tried to weaken him with Avatar first. The RNG seemed to have made up its mind that no matter what order I attacked in to soften up the boss, Avatar would ALWAYS score a crit.

Edited by Kreekakon

Marth's ability to not crit is a feature of the lodestar class

'Marth" is a Lord, not a Lodestar, so the no critting is most likely tied to enemy Lords (the mask certainly is). But other than that you're pretty much right.