First time, please be gentle.

Amiratasiru

I'm not really an artist, nor a spriter, so this may look very poor in a lot of areas, but I'm somewhat proud with what I made considering I had to make a few custom changes (which may or may not look terrible). Please, give some feedback on this, I'd like to know how I could improve on this. I eventually want this to be my own creation but this was to get a good idea on what I wanted this character to look like.

Name: Ada

Class: Either cleric or mage based on my future changes.

Base: Irene and Guinivere from FE6.

262e131e5f.png

Edited by Runechan

Don't upscale your sprites when you post them, keep them at 100% zoom.

The face and hair look OK, but there's a lot of gray in the hair that should be changed the the outline color or darkest hair color. The neck down is a mess, her neck especially. It looks like she has a tumor in her neck or something. The fur on her body has lost all detail too. I'd suggest resplicing the entirety of Guinvere's body, and maybe keep the customing to a minimum.

Don't upscale your sprites when you post them, keep them at 100% zoom.

The face and hair look OK, but there's a lot of gray in the hair that should be changed the the outline color or darkest hair color. The neck down is a mess, her neck especially. It looks like she has a tumor in her neck or something. The fur on her body has lost all detail too. I'd suggest resplicing the entirety of Guinvere's body, and maybe keep the customing to a minimum.

Thanks for the advice. I took everything you said into account and have done my best to fix what was wrong. Despite not being an artist, when you told me what was wrong it really stood out. I feel that I have gotten rid of most of the mistakes there were, I just may have to do a bit of shading here and there:

68286d10cc.png

her neck seems to lack a skin tone and there's still an unedited part below her ear. can't really say much about shading since i'm not really good at it tbh.

but eventually you'll learn more as you create more splices.

Ah, right, you are.

I've been tinkering around the past 20 minutes fixing things here and there and before I knew it I had mouth movement and eyes open and closing. I'm not sure if the eye closing is that great so I'd appreciate any feedback on them as well.

Thanks.

3389a033ce.png

Edited by Runechan

I highly recommend using the palettes from the official mugs, it will make it look a heck of a lot better. Like...for her hair, you could use the colors from Kent's or Artur's hair. Just take the eyedropper tool and use it on the official mug, then use that same color on your mug. Rinse and repeat.

You'd be surprised what playing with palettes can do to a sprite in a good way :)

Dragoncat is right, but you also don't want to mix FE7/FE6 colors with FE8 colors. FE8 has darker, brighter tones while FE7 and FE6 use lighter tones closer to pastels. I personally prefer FE7 and FE6 colors because FE8 ones tend to burn my eyes, but it's all up to you.

Your mug isn't bad for a first try though. The only major problems I see are the neck being too wide and her outfit missing some outline.

Edited by Anacybele

I highly recommend using the palettes from the official mugs, it will make it look a heck of a lot better. Like...for her hair, you could use the colors from Kent's or Artur's hair. Just take the eyedropper tool and use it on the official mug, then use that same color on your mug. Rinse and repeat.

You'd be surprised what playing with palettes can do to a sprite in a good way :)

Not gonna lie, didn't expect you to be so spot on. I did just as you said, except I used Eliwood's palettes and it came out so much better. Thanks a lot!

I also took into account the points Anacybele made about the neck being too thick:

9447017e3b26c549d99054e8ab3d96d1.png

Edited by Runechan