About the font table...

Sephie-chan

I'm currently working on a patch that will add some european letters to the font table (just like ä,ö,ü and ß) and was wondering if the localtion of the font table is already known to save me some time. I'm also looking for the location of the mainfont that is used in dialogs.

Are you hacking the GBA games? If so, letters like äêõß etc. are already included in its functionality; in FEditor just type [0xE9] where 0xE9 is replaced by your unicode of choice. (Or if you copy-paste from, say, the unicode directory, FEditor will do it automatically.) This works for anything with unicode less than 0xFF.

If you're looking to include non-European letters though, I don't know where you could change the font graphics.

This might be helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

Edited by Lori_Winters

I'd tried to use [0xF6] (In case of an ö) but it'll be outputted as a question mark. Plus all the letter fonts I'v been able to find misses these special lettters, as well does the name input field of the tactican creation. So I figured that these letters aren't in the rom, which make sense cause it's the american version and the english alphabet dosen't contain these letters. (Neither has the german, but it's still in use here xP )

[stuff]

I don't think those characters are in all 3 of the GBA FEs, and I also don't think the 0x80-0xFF range is correctly referred to as "Unicode" (IIRC the lower 8 bits of Unicode are delegated for compatibility with other common encodings, but those characters on their own are not a complete form of any of the Unicode "planes" and probably can't even be referred to as being "UTF-8 encoded" either)

Well, at least I found the palette for the main font... it's located at 0x194670 (text bubble palette is at 0x3FBFD0), if someone want to change the color. The Table seems to be somewhere at 0x115770, but I need still to confirm it further. The font and the text displayed seems to be (guessed what) compressed. Found also the location of the displayed font in the VRAM but finding the actual mainfont graphic is pretty hard and confusing. The font for Chapter names ist at 0x40260C, thow you can't just put an 'ä' over an 'a' cause it will be displayed as an a. Replacing an other letter dosen't work as well, it'll be displayed as follow:

1235-FireEmblemUVenom_02_zps43fa6b3a.png

It's an 'ä' in form of a 'l'.

Looked also at the european version und it seems they have actually 3 font tables, one for every languages.

Edited by Sephie-chan

There must be some variable width font metadata somewhere that would probably be painfully located by reversing how tiles are calculated for whatever map layer text is rendered on or, hopefully more easily, found by following the relevant read of a character's code value during said rendering.

I shouldn't post when I am tired I don't even know if that made sense