Dragon villains

Dragoncat

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which game did the evil dragon thing the best?

• Shadow Dragon/Dark Dragon and Sword of Light
    • Sword of Seals
    • Blazing Sword
    • Awakening
    • Genealogy of the Holy War
  2. 2. Who is your favorite dragon villain?

• Medeus
    • Idoun
    • Nameless fire dragon
    • Grima
    • Loptyr

I would have to say lopitusu, but since i can't vote that, i'll say fire dragon, because fire emblem is usualy not at it's strongest when it pulls out this plot, and "just there" is better then bad. (it helps that i like nergal.)

IIRC, He isin't dying, just being expelled from jlious as julious dies. He is still alive, and could theoreticaly return.

I always thought it was something along the lines of Loptyr's bloodline ending. Manfroy even comments how the "power of darkness is fading away" and proceeds to die along with it. Seliph and Julia didn't seem to inherit any Loptyr holy blood, so it might be possible that Loptyr, in a sense, died with Julius.

Though holy blood functions somewhat unpredictably, so some of Seliph's/Julia's descendants might end up having it, idk.

Julia has the exact same blood line as her mother. So as long as she's a live and kicking they just need to pull the whole brainwash incest babies plot to start the whole ordeal again. Do the right thing. Murder Julia on sight for the good of the world in Endgame. Then Naga and Lopt may perish together.

I'n not speaking stat/battle wise at all. Purely story/character wise.

For the first option, I say Awakening. Not sure why. It's either that or FE12/FE11. Haven't played FE6; I wouldn't know.

Second option: Idoun. She seemed cool IMO. Plus other reasons that other people have already said.

BTW Glac: I thought she was a Mage Dragon?

She was turned into one (or a Demon Dragon, term varies throughout the fandom), but was originally Divine Dragon.

I always thought it was something along the lines of Loptyr's bloodline ending. Manfroy even comments how the "power of darkness is fading away" and proceeds to die along with it. Seliph and Julia didn't seem to inherit any Loptyr holy blood, so it might be possible that Loptyr, in a sense, died with Julius.

Though holy blood functions somewhat unpredictably, so some of Seliph's/Julia's descendants might end up having it, idk.

I thought so too, but then they went and retconed in cyas in fe5. (granted, you never see his holy blood, but still...), although i like to think of fe5 as a seperate continuity due to the sheer number of awkward retcons.

Julia has the exact same blood line as her mother. So as long as she's a live and kicking they just need to pull the whole brainwash incest babies plot to start the whole ordeal again. Do the right thing. Murder Julia on sight for the good of the world in Endgame. Then Naga and Lopt may perish together.

She has no lopt blood in game, and the fact that the devolopers explicetly coded a way for seliph to not have lopt blood strongly suggests that this is a statement on the part of the developers that the threat was gone for good (which is why i find the cyas retcon so awkward).

I thought so too, but then they went and retconed in cyas in fe5. (granted, you never see his holy blood, but still...), although i like to think of fe5 as a seperate continuity due to the sheer number of awkward retcons.

She has no lopt blood in game, and the fact that the devolopers explicetly coded a way for seliph to not have lopt blood strongly suggests that this is a statement on the part of the developers that the threat was gone for good (which is why i find the cyas retcon so awkward).

Ah, you're right, she has minor fala, not Lopt, I forgot. Cyas is a strange case though. We don't know exactly how it's decided Holy Blood is passed down, we have seen people not having Holy Blood like you would expect, like Scorpio. It would also be expect that Julia and Celice should have minor lopt blood too but apperantly mixing three blood types isn't possible. However that being said, I don't think Cyas has Lopt Holy blood despite his apparent mother being bloodless. I believe Manfroy was hunting Cyas throughout the game and trying to convince Julius to execute him because he has major Fala blood despite Cyas being seemingly loyal until towards the end. If Cyas was another recipient to his precious blood line then I reckon Manfroy would be more interested in converting and protecting him.

Edited by Jotari

most of them are pretty strong in their own ways - medeus for actually being sympathetic in the origins of his malevolence; idun not so much on her own merits but what she represents as the culmination of just how desperate the dragons were in the scouring, which i maintain is actually pretty interesting insofar as how fucked up the entire conflict was; and while he's a bit borderline compared to these two, loptyr certainly has to get kudos for succeeding as long as he did and for being fairly creative in his "fuck humans" methodology

(needless to say, grima is just a bad joke and what's even the point of counting fe7's fire dragon)

(needless to say, grima is just a bad joke and what's even the point of counting fe7's fire dragon)

>People who count Grima as a dragon and not Loptyr, even though in a sense both of their fights are physically the same.

Someone earlier mentioned Dheginsea, although he isn't a primary antagonist or the last boss, I think he should be on the poll too. (If we're counting Lopto, the Fire Dragon and Grima)

I'm voting Loptyr for best evil dragon but I've going Medeus for the one that did it the best. I mean Lopty is awesome and all but you could have removed him from the plot or replaced him with a demon with little to no changes in the story. It's really about a cult gaining control and installing a puppet leader. Medeus on the other hand was a dragon king conquering the world with his army of dragons. It's much more dragonific even if it's not as interesting. Still somewhat original though. We see surprisingly few dragon kings around. Most stories only dare to put in half a dozen dragons at most.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm voting Loptyr for best evil dragon but I've going Medeus for the one that did it the best. I mean Lopty is awesome and all but you could have removed him from the plot or replaced him with a demon with little to no changes in the story. It's really about a cult gaining control and installing a puppet leader. Medeus on the other hand was a dragon king conquering the world with his army of dragons. It's much more dragonific even if it's not as interesting. Still somewhat original though. We see surprisingly few dragon kings around. Most stories only dare to put in half a dozen dragons at most.

It isn't more dragonific because it's about a Dragon King with a Dragon Army, it's dragonific because of how Manaketes were once civilized folk that had to deal with a fucked up paradigm shift that made them go totally insane if they stayed in their dragon forms. It gave them another dimension beyond "stereotypical RPG villain."

But if we're talking about dragons that were best written (not necessarily objectively well-written, but the best the series has come up with thus far), my vote goes to The Dark Continent of Elibe.

Pop quiz: can anyone here say what any dragon culture in any Fire Emblem game is like? Can anyone say what their technological achievements are? Can anyone say how the species generally feels to live with other sapient species, and on what basis? Can anyone tell me how the species fares on a technological standpoint? Can anyone tell me what their architecture is like and how a dragon could conceivably made it, and why it's good architecture for a dragon?

Pop quiz: can anyone here say what any dragon culture in any Fire Emblem game is like? Can anyone say what their technological achievements are? Can anyone say how the species generally feels to live with other sapient species, and on what basis? Can anyone tell me how the species fares on a technological standpoint? Can anyone tell me what their architecture is like and how a dragon could conceivably made it, and why it's good architecture for a dragon?

I'd say Archanea passes a good number of those. Many felt superior to the other sapient series while others felt it was their duty to protect the weaker creatures. Politically we know Medeus is accomplished enough to ally human armies to his cause. FE3/12 shows us a fair few examples of dragonic architecture with their temples. Nothing particularly stands out about it to my mind other than the extreme locations in which they were built but they still get points for actually having architecture. Technology wise we know they made the Falchion and Fire Emblem but the fact that it's magic based makes it kind of hard to gauge them. You could also count the twelve super weapons of Jugdral as their technological achievement. Of course I don't think these traits are any great indicator of how developed a race is. A fantasy world isn't made to be ridiculous detailed and researched. It's made to tell a story. And in Fire Emblem dragons, like many incarnations of them, are depicted as an ancient race with few members that serve a role in the plot more akin to a force than a group. Just because we don't see the in depth artwork and literature created by a dragon life does not mean it's an underdeveloped species. They have a role to serve and due to their non humanoid figure and immense power, their role just isn't likely to be culture exploration.