Super Mario Galaxy

Florete

Did you like it?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Rate it out of 10

• 1 (Hated it with a passion)
    • 10 (Absolutely loved it)

Personally, I give it a 5. A lot of people really love this game, but I was disappointed. It wasn't nearly as good as Sunshine or 64 in my opinion. For one, it was way too easy. There were many times I would grab a star and say, "What? That was it?"

Most of the boss fights were nothing. And the final boss fight was easier than killing off Nils so I can take someone else to the final chapter. Seriously, I didn't even get hurt. It also told you EXACTLY when you could get to the end of the game, like it wants you to just finish it. Both Sunshine and 64 were more discrete about when you could or would finish.

3 health. 64 and Sunshine had 8. That alone tells you this was easier. And coins are abundant enough to recover any lost health.

One of the things I liked the most about it's predecessors was the huge level designs and the way you could go back to them multiple times for different missions. Sure, this one had about 6 stars per level (if even that), but every one was in a practically completely new area, which sounds good, but just isn't what we've learned to expect from this. Sunshine and 64 allowed for a lot of exploration in every level. Galaxy had one way roads for almost every level.

And the overworld. 64 didn't have too much of one, but it worked well. Sunshine's overworld was like a level in itself. Exploration, Shine Sprites, and blue coins, plus new nozels (and Yoshi!) were earned there. Galaxy may as well have just had a map that you chose your level from, instead of making you waste time walking around to them.

I know Mario games have never really been hot on story lines, but I can't see how they even tried anything with this one, unless you count the library book, which had nothing to do with the game. Same as always. Peach is kidnapped by Bowser for who knows what reason, and Mario goes out to rescue her. At least Sunshine had a somewhat more interesting plot.

Well, that was my rant. Altogether, it was little fun at times, but way too easy. It doesn't live up to its predecessors. What do you guys think?

Compared to the other major Wii releases of 2007 that I played (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition), this was the worst, in my opinion. And, in case you are wondering, I absolutely loved 64 and Sunshine.

Edited by Fox

I'd give it an 8 out of 10. The gameplay was quite enjoyable, and the graphics + music were great, though it seemed to shirk a bit on a few things...

The first, as you say, is lack of a good overworld. One of the reasons I loved Sunshine, was because of it's expansive overworld. Heck, in 64 and Sunshine, you actually had to SEARCH for some levels, which was very fun on some occasions. In Galaxy, it's just "Grab the Grand Star and the next level is instantly open." Bleh.

Secondly, about 95% of the levels in Galaxy are Get from Point A to Point B, with a few twists added for each level. The levels in 64 and Sunshine were usually focused on free-roaming, and exploration is a very enticing subject to me. :P Not to say the levels in Galaxy are boring, because they're far from it. I just wish Nintendo has decided to mix it up a little.

Thirdly, no Yoshi!? Madness!

Finally, it's just too easy! The bosses were great, but they weren't very challenging. I had beaten the entire game with Mario

and Luigi

and I had never seen the Game Over screen once. ^^; They didn't really have to give us five 1-ups everytime we loaded the game. (Though they are technically optional...)

Yeah, SMG had it's quirks, but it was very enjoyable nonetheless.

9. It was a completely new concept that no one had thought of before (seriously, no sarcasm there) and then there were a few challenging parts (the upside down tower in the desert level, anyone?) but not enough. The gravity concept was great and there was plenty of uniqueness between levels. Overall though, the lack of enough difficult sequences brought it down a little bit.

heh heh heh...*scratches head* does the fact that I've had this since Christmas and have say 13 stars mean anything?

Radiant Dawn was deemed more important...as was Geometry Wars...and then I picked up Advance Wars Days of Ruin...and right now, I'm not getting much video gaming action in...and well Brawl will take presidency over everything else, so I have to hurry up and beat RD...so I won't beat SMG until say summer? yeah, my bad...

I agree with many of Red's points...but I'll go 8 myself...it's good despite what he said...and besides, this game has large bonuses for making everyone who is watching go drug tripping while the person behind the controller feels perfectly at ease...

The gravity was incredible. I have no idea how they coded that. It blew my mind. I gave it an 8 because sometimes, I want to listen to my own music and I looked half an hour for a turn-the-music-off button.

i havent voted in this poll cuz i havent played the game yet, but ive heard it doesnt quite measure up to 64 and Sunshine, but i have heard that it still is pretty good, so once i'm done with SSBB, i'll start playing it

in other words, i wont be voting on this poll for a LONG time

I haven't voted in this poll 'cause I haven't played the game yet, but I've heard it doesn't quite measure up to 64 and Sunshine, but i have heard that it still is pretty good, so once I'm done with SSBB, I'll start playing it

in other words, i wont be voting on this poll for a LONG time

Not measure up to Sunshine? That's pretty hard to believe as getting thrown off a cliff onto thousands of spikes is better than Sunshine. Galaxy is better than Super Mario 64 even. Oh yeah... I capitalized your Is and fixed your spelling errors. Those red lines are annoying.

Not measure up to Sunshine? That's pretty hard to believe as getting thrown off a cliff onto thousands of spikes is better than Sunshine. Galaxy is better than Super Mario 64 even. Oh yeah... I capitalized your Is and fixed your spelling errors. Those red lines are annoying.

Seriously? Sunshine wasn't THAT bad. It wasn't the best Mario game ever, but I found it to be pretty enjoyable. Turbo Surfing ftw.

• 3 months later...

I thought Super Mario Galaxy was really good. For some reason I enjoyed it more than I did 64 and Sunshine. Also, aren't the purple coin challenges difficult enough?

Anyway, real men (or women) don't play games like SMG for challenge.

I thought Super Mario Galaxy was really good. For some reason I enjoyed it more than I did 64 and Sunshine. Also, aren't the purple coin challenges difficult enough?

I hated the Toy Time Galaxy purple coins. Even Shiggy said they were the hardest star in the game.

I didn't expect it to be super-difficult, but at least as tough as 64 and Sunshine

I don't remember. I think so. I tried mostly everything

If you don't remember it, then you haven't played it. It was one of the most memorable stages in the game. The one where you had to get all the purple coins on top of a pixelized Luigi.

Have you even unlocked Luigi?

Well the good thing about it was that you weren't forced to read it.

And it did shed some light on Rosalina's past, so it wasn't entirely pointless...unless Nintendo wanted to pull another Meta Knight.