• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

You know, I think that there is a very subtle preference to PC-98 Alice here...

Anyway, voted her and Koishi

EDIT: Aaaaaaand forgot about Dai. Voted her too.

Edited by ShadielTH

I should vote I'd no idea who I'm voting for

you are aware your waifu is on one of those polls

so just fought Sakuya in EoSD... and not sure how I'm beating her without continues lol

General advice for Sakuya's non-spells - Avoid hogging the absolute bottom of the screen. Try to go higher up if it's safe to do so.

Non-Spell #1 - It's easier to dodge the bullets before they spread out too much (hence the suggestion of going high up). She stops firing the bullets at regular intervals and fires fixed arrays of knives (fixed relative to her position). It should be easy to dodge them, but don't let it catch you off guard. Anticipating the knives, by listening to the sound or by practicing enough, should be enough to keep you alive here.

Clock Corpse - This may look intimidating, but it's easy once you learn how to deal with it. Stay near the bottom of the screen at the center. When Sakuya stops time, the knives will aim at you. All you have to do is move to the side. There are other knives too, but the density is much less at the sides. Do make sure to dodge the bullets while you're moving to the side.

Non-spell #2 - Like non-spell #1, except with clumps of reflecting kunai and no periodic knife arrays. However, the kunai clumps can approach you from the side this time, and it might be tough to dodge clumps coming at you from multiple directions at the same time. Try to look around your character to identify relatively safer areas for dodging.

Luna Clock - Although I personally find this easier than Clock Corpse, there isn't much strategy here. The knives now point in random directions. Stay near the bottom, move to safer areas if you can find any, and dodge the knives and bullets as they come.

Non-spell #3 - My advice for this attack is to go high up and simply try to move to areas where you can avoid the knives entirely. There are always nice areas where neither the clumps of knives from the front or the knives reflected from the side will touch you. However, if you would prefer dodging between the knives within the clumps, then I would suggest backing down so that the gaps are wider. But watch out, because you'll generally have to deal with the side knives as well then.

Marionette - This is the one and only spell that I have not captured in the entire Normal Mode. Though, that might be due to lack of trying. Anyhow, unlike her previous two spells, Marionette actually gives you a LOT of room to move around. The downside is that you can't just sit in an area and expect to easily dodge all the knives, because they'll be coming in very awkward directions (since even the knives from previous waves may change direction after they already pass you!). So you just have to try finding safer areas, go there, start dodging and pray that you don't get screwed. If you do, then just bomb to it. Trust me, this spell is at least annoying enough to warrant a bomb or even two.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't bomb to her other spells and non-spells. If things look bad, bomb.

Also Alice wins because of Grimoire of Alice and Flandre wins cause of her song as well!

Awww, and here I thought you were going for the kawaii level... Edited by Railgun

also apparently a couple of Japanese/Chinese players got the 100% no-item clear on ISC already

...wow

How did they do 10-4 and 10-5?

I can do the first wave of 10-5 without items quite consistently, but beyond that I have no idea how to find gaps that are possible to fit through, considering that this spellcard is actually semi-random (the red and blue bullets always align slightly differently) and it's nigh impossible to slip between the bullets even with the Yin Yang Orb Sub lol.

Also 10-7 for that matter, as that spellcard looks like complete RNG to me. I had precisely one lucky run where I didn't get hit by the first three waves, but considering I need to survive at least six waves if I can't just shotgun Miko's face off... Yeah.

Edited by Scarlet

...wow

I can do the first wave of 10-5 without items quite consistently, but beyond that I have no idea how to find gaps that are possible to fit through, considering that this spellcard is actually semi-random (the red and blue bullets always align slightly differently) and it's nigh impossible to slip between the bullets even with the Yin Yang Orb Sub lol.

Also 10-7 for that matter, as that spellcard looks like complete RNG to me. I had precisely one lucky run where I didn't get hit by the first three waves, but considering I need to survive at least six waves if I can't just shotgun Miko's face off... Yeah.

A lot of pause buffering, apparently, lol. Pretty much expected, since some of these cards are pretty much out-and-out bullshit. I think their runs are on YouTube, but I haven't checked.

Captured 6-4 after a lot of grief and complaining about supersonic bouncing droplets. Feel pretty accomplished. If only I had the same amount of determination for Yuyuko's 4-3 and 4-6 so I can clear the day. Bleh.

I still can't figure out 5-3. It seems like a pause buffer card to me, and is otherwise friggin impossible.

...wow

For 10-4, I'm assuming the impossible phase can be dealt with an extremely rapid but fixed sequence of movements. I'm not surprised that somebody was crazy enough to pull that off. Do note that sub orb would be nice to have here.

To me, the only really hard part of 10-5 is the fourth wave, which seems literally impossible to me. The first, third, and fifth waves aren't too difficult. The second wave is very tough, but the gaps are visible, so I'm not surprised that skilled pros can dodge it with ease. But how they deal with the fourth wave is beyond me.

Even if you're not crazy enough to try going itemless, simply trying this spell without Mamizou's statue makes it extremely difficult, since red bullets are imperishable indestructible.

I assume there's a way to identify safe areas from the lasers because for me, being safe from the lasers is a matter of pure luck. I don't think ZUN intended for a spell to be run by pure luck. We just haven't figured out how it works, I think.

Never mind, 5-3 is Apollo 13

doll sub is love

doll sub is life

it's all ogre now

Edited by Fera

A lot of pause buffering, apparently, lol.

...seriously? I thought of trying that before, but that didn't seem to help at all. xD

Captured 6-4 after a lot of grief and complaining about supersonic bouncing droplets. Feel pretty accomplished.

I feel your pain, that one took me almost 100 attempts to clear itemless. xD

I still can't figure out 5-3. It seems like a pause buffer card to me, and is otherwise friggin impossible.

Haven't figured that one out itemless, either.

For 10-4, I'm assuming the impossible phase can be dealt with an extremely rapid but fixed sequence of movements. I'm not surprised that somebody was crazy enough to pull that off. Do note that sub orb would be nice to have here.

I once managed to get into the "flow", so yes, it is possible, but I died after about three seconds when I hit the corner and tried to move upwards. Keeping that up for the whole 12 seconds seems insane.

To me, the only really hard part of 10-5 is the fourth wave, which seems literally impossible to me. The first, third, and fifth waves aren't too difficult. The second wave is very tough, but the gaps are visible, so I'm not surprised that skilled pros can dodge it with ease. But how they deal with the fourth wave is beyond me.

The gaps are visible, yes, but the hitboxes of diagonally moving bullets are incredibly sketchy. I often get hit when it looks like I should fit through, and very rarely I manage to fit through a gap where the bullets literally go through my hitbox without harming me. I don't get it. xD

Even if you're not crazy enough to try going itemless, simply trying this spell without Mamizou's statue makes it extremely difficult, since red bullets are imperishable indestructible.

When screwing around, I actually managed to clear it with the umbrella, too. But yeah, the Tanuki Statue is by far the easiest method... ...like it almost always is. xD

I assume there's a way to identify safe areas from the lasers because for me, being safe from the lasers is a matter of pure luck. I don't think ZUN intended for a spell to be run by pure luck. We just haven't figured out how it works, I think.

I can't see a way. I spent more than 50 attempts by now trying to analyze the spell and try wacky stuff. I did notice that the three spheres that the lasers later emerge seem to have random vertical alignments, but this seems to have absolutely no bearing on where the lasers will go.

What's more, when simply hiding beneath the center sphere (no horizontal movement at all), I sometimes get hit, and sometimes I don't. It is literally completely random. There's no discernible pattern to it.

Considering how many spells in this game are completely random, I wouldn't put it beyond ZUN.

Never mind, 5-3 is Apollo 13

Wait, what

Please enlighten me!

doll sub is love

doll sub is life

Oh yes. Especially since I realized it's possible to get all eight shots to hit the boss.

Such spread

Very damage

Much wow

Kurumi, Ms.9 and Yumemi.

Also, you forgot Sofocles. He's a PoDD character too!

Flandre & Koishi tied?! Me like.

Edited by ShadielTH

Heh, I found 5-3's safespots by trying to shotgun Benben for Mamizou clearance. I've observed that the music bullets somehow don't hurt you when they spawn. I didn't quite understand why ZUN would design it like that, until I noticed how much it resembled Apollo 13.

Also, while ZUN puts a lot of randomness in his spells, even the most random of spells have optimal algorithms that should secure card capture with little luck but may end up requiring Eiki levels of skill. The only exception I've found is Laser of 17 Articles, which is literally pure luck and almost no skill.

As for the poll, I hate Kurumi (one of the two characters I outright hate), Louise is meh, and Meira is cool, so I'm voting Meira. Stage 2 was a tough battle between Kogasa and Parsee, but Kogasa won out in the end. Sekibanki has the best boss theme though. Finally, for PoDD, Yumemi is actually my #4 favorite character of the entire Touhou, so yeah, Yumemi for me.

btw what happened to the Stage 1 polls?

Edited by Railgun

someone write me an in depth analysis on how to patch pc-98 games

or make a video

and how to unglitch the pc-98 games from having a ton of gibberish

Patch, as in, English translations? I have no idea how to do those, I played them all in Japanese.

Also, for emu recommendations, I would suggest T-98 Next.

Ah, I can at least provide a step-by-step guide for THAT:

1. Run Next.exe

2. Go to the Main tab

3. Go to the Disk tab inside the Main tab

4. Check the HD drive section, and click the second rectangle (still under 1)

5. Find and choose the .hdi file of the game you want to play

6. Press the power button (top-left corner)

uIlo8VJ.png