• Gensokyo Millenium ~ History of the Moon
    • Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess
    • The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field
    • Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
    • Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
    • Great Fairy Wars ~ Fairy Wars
    • Shoutoku Legend ~ True Administrator
    • Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess

I want to play some other fanmade games, but, for now, I prefer to focus on official games.

I can recommend New Super Marisa Land, personally. It's a level of quality that rivals official Mario games.

What about Shoot the Bullet and Double Spoiler? I completed StB and I'm actually in level 13 of DS. I find them pretty funny, because I find they also have an element of puzzle: you need to plan when to shoot a photo so you can also open spaces when the bullets are the more dangerous/tricky.

Haven't played StB. I've technically beaten DS (unlocked Hatate), but I can't be bothered to complete all scenes, let alone beat all of them again using Hatate.

By the way, do any of you ever tried to capture Double Dealing Character's lunatic spell cards?

Yeah, but not to the point where I'd remember the solution to them while I'm not actually playing the game (the only exception being "You Grow Bigger!"). I've spent a lot more time practicing the Extra spellcards instead.

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

Yeah, Double Spoiler is just like StB but with nicer graphics and the possibility to take vertical photos (which aids A LOT in achieving them). It also has a lot more levels.

No I haven't played Impossible Spell Card yet. In fact, I didn't know of it till past week, xD

I've played all fighting games, but I'm not nearly as good as with the danmaku ones. My favorite is Hopeless Masquerade in terms of playability, but it only has 10 chars :(

I've played all fighting games, but I'm not nearly as good as with the danmaku ones. My favorite is Hopeless Masquerade in terms of playability, but it only has 10 chars :(

i'm bad in both

sadly i get some lag with HM on my computer so i can't play it much but yes, it feels lacking in characters :[

i have lots of fun with Hisoutensoku, Suwako and Utsuho are really fun to use

If that's it and they're not super-durable as well or something, I think I can deal with them. :V

They are quite manageable if you have Sanae for RES++. And I think Sanae should be able to learn the revival spell by then.

I'm using the Moriya Wall formation, so she does sit at the back in my case. But occassionally, enemies decide to attack her anyway, and when they do, she gets murdered pretty hard. D:

I think I usually used Hakurei type in the beginning. Boosts her magic power too.

When does Nitori get those other skills? I was kinda confused because she starts out with only a single skill that doesn't really do much. :/

Not sure what the levels are, but she'll learn them. She also has cool Chasers that are useful when you're barraging the boss with multiple attacks of the same element.

So far Reimu and Mokou have been doing the tanking just fine. I can kinda see how Alice is supposed to be played, but I've never been big on pure defense in videogames.

Mokou remains as a solid tank throughout the game. Reimu won't be able to handle it later. And even Mokou can't effectively tank some of the hard-hitting bosses. While Okuu can be slain quickly before she gets to Mega Flare, you won't be able to pull off the same thing against later bosses. You NEED Alice's defenses, and many of the bosses are so ruthless that it's as if they were designed with the assumption that you'd have Alice protecting everyone.

Sanae's healing is useful as Commander support, but it just doesn't warrant an actual spot in the party itself, considering HP are refilled after each battle anyway (and Reimu has healing spells of her own for emergencies).

I can imagine that the buffs will probably become more important later on, but so far I'm doing fairly well by abusing weaknesses and taking out enemies before they can do much damage.

Commander healing uses bombs, which are in short supply. The thing is, the game difficulty does increase as you progress. And by that, I don't just mean that the enemies will get stronger to match the increased level of your party. But rather, they become tougher in the sense that you will have a harder time dealing with them despite your increased levels. Early on, you can probably cheese everything with powerful multi-target magic while Sakuya or Youmu deal with leftovers. This will not work as effectively as you keep advancing to later stages. Sanae/Byakuren support helps a lot there.

I've now also got Satori and Youmu.

Does Satori's learning work like Blue Mages do in Final Fantasy? I sure hope so, as just debuffing enemies doesn't sound terribly great in itself (a lot of bosses so far seemed to be immune to Sakuya's debuffs).

Yup, she's a Blue Mage! Her usefulness depends on what skills you can get her to learn, being utter crap without enemy skills, and becoming a Master-of-all-Trades if she learns a good and versatile selection of skills.

Neither Sakuya nor Satori are good at debuffing, hence the high failure rate. Byakuren, on the other hand, is excellent at debuffing (even the BIG bosses) if you invest in her induction stat.

Youmu doesn't seem terribly difficult to use. I think I'll rotate her into my party every now and then.

Stances may be somewhat of an inconvenience against generic enemies, but Youmu is imo the best character in the game for dishing out raw physical damage against bosses. I mean, sure, Sakuya is great and all, but Full Moon Revenge loves to miss and drains her MP super fast. Not to mention Private Square's huge MP cost.

I already know which characters are recruitable, including the expansion ones (the original character was listed as "???" though), so go ahead. xD

Here you go: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=6rN5CHii

[spoiler=Explanations]Alice: Marionette Parrar is the single most broken skill in the game. Little Legion is also invaluable in a large number of situations against bosses. And she has the defenses to withstand almost everything. Many bosses would be near impossible with her.

Sanae: Not as useful as Alice, but her statboosters help a lot in both offense and defense, while her healing skills are very good. And of course, reviving fallen allies with Omikuji Miracle.

Mokou: Great tank with auto-revival capabilities. Fujiyama Volcano is also extremely amazing for raw physical damage. She can also revive people in the Commander slot.

Reisen: With Byakuren support, she can deal ridiculous damage, being able to consistently churn out 5-digit damage every turn and even able to feasibly reach the damage cap (99999). She is the reason why the huge HP of big postgame bosses don't seem that huge anymore.

Byakuren: Elemental sword skills allow physical attackers to hit bosses with their elemental weaknesses. With induction investment, she can easily debuff even bosses, which is undoubtedly very useful. Her statboosters and healing support are also nice.

Patchouli: Her main niche is setting up elemental field effects, which let you abuse elemental weaknesses better. She also provides her own powerful elemental spells that can double or crit. Royal Diamond Ring is also an excellent Commander skill

???: Aside from being very good for general physical offense, her Lv 95 skill breaks the game

Satori: Starts off pretty bad, but once she starts learning the good stuff, she can be pretty amazing. Medoroa is wonderful for dishing out damage, Area Heal is great for party healing, Starlight Barrier helps keep everyone alive, etc.

Sakuya: Private Square, nuff said. It's especially broken when combined with Aya's Paparazzi. She also dishes out a lot of damage with Full Moon Revenge, and a few of her other Field effects can be useful sometimes.

Youmu: Raw physical damage. That's pretty much all she does, but she does an excellent job of it. She is also self-sufficient, being able to boost her own stats and self-heal, in case your general-purpose supporters have their hands tied.

Reimu: Her main niche are her barriers, which grant absolute protection to many of the stupidly overpowered attacks used by later bosses. She also deals good LGT damage with the Fantasy Heaven series, can heal with priority, and can negate barriers.

Aya: Two roles. Breath reflection in the party, and Paparazzi as the commander. She's useless otherwise, but those two are really great on their own.

Nitori: Guns are great weapons. She has cool chasers and nice physical elemental skills too.

Marisa: Good elemental damage if Patchy alone is not enough. Lasers are also nice and can penetrate barriers.

Remilia: Hits fast and hard. Skill cooldowns prevent her from being as useful as the other offensive powerhouses.

Yuugi: Berserker Soul is amazing, but consumes so much MP that she can only use it twice. After that, she's worthless.

Cirno: Baka

Screw them, I think I've found a couple of enemies I hate even more.

What is it with some of the bird-type enemies in this game being impossible to hit with physical attacks while at the same time either being immune to magic or using a super-high-priority skill each turn that outright cancels it? Heck, you can't even run away from them lol.

Nitori can ignore perfect dodge (perfect dodge referring to the MISS with the green background that is related to the target's own perfect dodge capabilities as opposed to accuracy and evasion). There are plenty of non-magic skills with very high accuracy too.

I currently do, but I dunno about everyone else. xD

I think Zak was playing it, but he probably stopped at some point

I don't even know how I'm supposed to figure out the codes for the machine in Rinnosuke's shop. D:

I have no idea either. The wiki provided a list though:

68997264 : Melon Sword (Exp earned UP)

16394122 : Gamer Japanese Fan (Item drop rate up)

28896765 : Animate Pen (Ignores defense(small))

75024087 : White Lance (Power earned UP)

71228829 : Akiba Cherry Branch(?) (Restores HP&MP)

98530865 : Messe Dagger (HP&MP+10%)

28614360 : Tiger Axe (Ability to use 主砲, Main Cannon)

30723811 : D-Staff (one-handed staff, so you can use a shield)

I would recommend getting the Gamer Fan and the White Lance, at least.

I haven't actually tried using Sakuya's Private Square yet. Is it really that good? Sakuya's own damage output so far hasn't been terribly impressive if she didn't proc insta-death (which probably doesn't work against bosses), and a lot of the bosses I've fought so far have had some form of health regeneration.

Sakuya's Private Square is her main niche. It's one of the best skills of the entire game. It's worth investing into Sakuya solely for the sheer brokenness of Private Square. In particular, when combined with Aya's Paparazzi Commander skill, Private Skill lets Sakuya outright skip all enemies' turns after her allies do their moves.

As for her damage output, forge her a 2-handed sword (Sakuya-only), fill up the skill tree, and let her unleash FULL MOON REVENGE! Sakuya, Youmu, Mokou, and Nitori have good character-specific weapons that are worth forging imo.

The only fanmade game I've played till now it's Tôhômon Another World, and I enjoyed it a lot. I want to play some other fanmade games, but, for now, I prefer to focus on official games.

You should try Touhoumon Emerald. It's not as mindlessly difficult as Another World, while still being pretty tough. Edited by Railgun

They are quite manageable if you have Sanae for RES++. And I think Sanae should be able to learn the revival spell by then.

Does anyone else learn a revival spell that can be used without Commander shenanigans? Reimu, or perhaps Mokou?

Mokou remains as a solid tank throughout the game. Reimu won't be able to handle it later. And even Mokou can't effectively tank some of the hard-hitting bosses. While Okuu can be slain quickly before she gets to Mega Flare, you won't be able to pull off the same thing against later bosses. You NEED Alice's defenses, and many of the bosses are so ruthless that it's as if they were designed with the assumption that you'd have Alice protecting everyone.

tumblr_lgdmijhh9k1qcqfobvz.png

Let's beat this game without ever using Alice! \o/

So far it's going reasonably well, I just beat up Komachi. Thinking about it, I haven't actually had a party wipe since the battle against Satori!

Commander healing uses bombs, which are in short supply.

I dunno, 5 heals are quite sufficient for the most part. I almost always run out of MP long before I'm even close to running out of bombs lol.

The thing is, the game difficulty does increase as you progress. And by that, I don't just mean that the enemies will get stronger to match the increased level of your party. But rather, they become tougher in the sense that you will have a harder time dealing with them despite your increased levels. Early on, you can probably cheese everything with powerful multi-target magic while Sakuya or Youmu deal with leftovers. This will not work as effectively as you keep advancing to later stages. Sanae/Byakuren support helps a lot there.

I dunno, how early is "early on"? I've just beaten Stage 07 and my strategy is still working very well. In fact, it's working better than it used to work in the earliest stages, simply because I actually have enough MP now to not run out every five seconds. xD

Neither Sakuya nor Satori are good at debuffing, hence the high failure rate. Byakuren, on the other hand, is excellent at debuffing (even the BIG bosses) if you invest in her induction stat.

Good grief, Sakuya's 40+ IND is still not enough to reliably debuff enemies? Heck, she triggers Instant Death more often than she succeeds at inflicting debuffs lol.

Wait, what

Marisa is the fourth-worst character in the game?

Marisa, my single best damage dealer? ffs, she reliably deals 700+ damage when hitting weaknesses, at laughably low MP costs lol. Even her AoE spells beat Patchy's in damage output. xD

Nitori can ignore perfect dodge (perfect dodge referring to the MISS with the green background that is related to the target's own perfect dodge capabilities as opposed to accuracy and evasion). There are plenty of non-magic skills with very high accuracy too.

I see. I've been abusing Mokou and Honest Man's Death to kill the worst offenders (because for some reason it never seems to miss and deals absurd damage), but suddenly, training Nitori for situations like these seems a lot more desirable. xD

I would recommend getting the Gamer Fan and the White Lance, at least.

Thanks for the list, will do!

Sakuya's Private Square is her main niche. It's one of the best skills of the entire game. It's worth investing into Sakuya solely for the sheer brokenness of Private Square. In particular, when combined with Aya's Paparazzi Commander skill, Private Skill lets Sakuya outright skip all enemies' turns after her allies do their moves.

You criticize Sanae's Miracle Fruit Commander skill for requiring bombs to use and then call a skill combination that uses 5 bombs and an ungodly amount of MP the best in the game? xD

I mean, I understand why it's awesome, but that still seems a bit funny. xD

As for her damage output, forge her a 2-handed sword (Sakuya-only), fill up the skill tree, and let her unleash FULL MOON REVENGE! Sakuya, Youmu, Mokou, and Nitori have good character-specific weapons that are worth forging imo.

Easier said than done. Power is in pretty short supply. ^^"

Cirno solo or bust

Hack the game to make her available from the start and I'll think about it. :V

Also, thinking about it: how exactly does the Power distribution work for people not in your current party? I'm pretty sure they must be receiving some of the Power from battles, as they often suddenly have skill points to distribute despite not having been in my party (ever, in Alice's case lol), primarily after boss battles. Do they receive surplus Power when I get more Power from a battle than the active party needs to get their next skill point? And if so, how much of it?

Does anyone else learn a revival spell that can be used without Commander shenanigans? Reimu, or perhaps Mokou?

Satori can, but me and Fera have both spent an ungodly amount of time in trying to get her to learn it pre-Expansion before we concluded that it is impossible. In other words, she can only learn it postgame (and really easily too).

Reimu has nothing related to revival, but Mokou has Xu Fu Dimension (single-target) and Possessed by Phoenix (whole party) that grants a Permanent Effect of reviving the target once if they die.

tumblr_lgdmijhh9k1qcqfobvz.png

Let's beat this game without ever using Alice! \o/

So far it's going reasonably well, I just beat up Komachi. Thinking about it, I haven't actually had a party wipe since the battle against Satori!

Good luck, have fun. Note that I did say there were other reasons for using a full party besides the fact that each character has their own niches. But well, tbh I myself haven't trained Alice until something like Stage 10.

I dunno, 5 heals are quite sufficient for the most part. I almost always run out of MP long before I'm even close to running out of bombs lol.

Sanae shouldn't be running out of MP O_O

I dunno, how early is "early on"? I've just beaten Stage 07 and my strategy is still working very well. In fact, it's working better than it used to work in the earliest stages, simply because I actually have enough MP now to not run out every five seconds. xD

iirc the real BS starts from Stage 18 and onwards (4 stages, pre-expansion), but there were a few annoying stages before that like Eientei and Bhava-Agra.

Good grief, Sakuya's 40+ IND is still not enough to reliably debuff enemies? Heck, she triggers Instant Death more often than she succeeds at inflicting debuffs lol.

Debuff chance depends on which skill is being used, I believe, and Sakuya's skills are pathetic for that. Also, if you like Misdirection, note that Youmu can proc insta-death with her normal attack and her katana skill tree even increases the probability of that.

Wait, what

Marisa is the fourth-worst character in the game?

Marisa, my single best damage dealer? ffs, she reliably deals 700+ damage when hitting weaknesses, at laughably low MP costs lol. Even her AoE spells beat Patchy's in damage output. xD

First of all, this is a highly opinionated list. Second of all, it's based on overall usefulness. Marisa is nice to have, but there are very few instances where her presence makes a significant difference on the outcome of the battle. Most of these instances are later on in the game, where she loses to Patchy, whose magic spells are powerful, can crit (and double, but Marisa can double too), be spammed (Marisa suffers from higher cooldowns), and be boosted by elemental fields (which will aid the whole party, both offensively and defensively). Marisa does have some moments where she can truly shine, but not as much as the people above her.

I see. I've been abusing Mokou and Honest Man's Death to kill the worst offenders (because for some reason it never seems to miss and deals absurd damage), but suddenly, training Nitori for situations like these seems a lot more desirable. xD

Mokou's skills have perfect accuracy iirc. Nitori is the only character with physical WTR and ELE skills, until lolCirno in postgame who is utter crap.

You criticize Sanae's Miracle Fruit Commander skill for requiring bombs to use and then call a skill combination that uses 5 bombs and an ungodly amount of MP the best in the game? xD

I mean, I understand why it's awesome, but that still seems a bit funny. xD

Hey, Miracle Fruit is great, but not really reliable for consistent healing. Paparazzi Square, on the other hand, can deal ridiculous damage and also seriously messes up some bosses because of how they were designed.

Easier said than done. Power is in pretty short supply. ^^"

Indeed. Which is why I suggested equipping the White Lance. But Sakuya should still prioritize her 2-handed sword tree imo because it also offers the greatest PATK boost.

Also, thinking about it: how exactly does the Power distribution work for people not in your current party? I'm pretty sure they must be receiving some of the Power from battles, as they often suddenly have skill points to distribute despite not having been in my party (ever, in Alice's case lol), primarily after boss battles. Do they receive surplus Power when I get more Power from a battle than the active party needs to get their next skill point? And if so, how much of it?

I heard from Fera or somewhere that people not in the battle get half the Power that the people in the battle. Which explains why they still have plenty of skill points.

karasuuuuu

touhou happened

Sounds fun

I played MoF

It sucked.

Horribly

And Super Marisa Land, but that has weird controls.

Hey we agree on another thing! :O

Haven't played.

You should play a fangame which I have played.

I played MoF

I sucked.

Horribly

fixed for you

srsly, you admitted not even reading the wall of text explaining how the game worked the previous day and was neglecting the power items too much

Hey we agree on another thing! :O

kalas, no :(

Edited by Odo

Another thing I can agree with It's not like you'll get it right the first time, Dood. Just keep at it. Then again you and 80% of the people on this site are "busy playing video games so I don't expect you to.

Satori Komeiji's Mental Education

Megamari

One of the hacks of Pokemon

Chen Emblem

Genius of Sapheiros

Touhou Labyrinth

you can choice it

Nope

I saw Megamari

LP in a few days

Chen Emblem what

Nope