• Gensokyo Millenium ~ History of the Moon
    • Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess
    • The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field
    • Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
    • Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
    • Great Fairy Wars ~ Fairy Wars
    • Shoutoku Legend ~ True Administrator
    • Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess

...turns out that Reimu's barriers are single-target spells.

Fuck this game

At this point, yup! Still, though, Alice should've learned Little Legion by now...

Proto, can you do me a favor and show me their Bestiary entries? They must have SOME kind of weakness, right? They both have so much defense that even my best damage dealers actually run out of MP before I get even ONE of them down. That, and I run out of revivals at around the same time.

Kanako does, but Suwako too?

[spoiler=Bestiary entries]WFBpFcL.png

P1D7SGV.png

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

Is the amount of time points you get after clearing a boss (non?) spell fixed, if so how much if not what exactly determines how much it is?

I just checked the wiki; what Kalas said is basically correct, although the exact formula is very complicated. Basically, destroying as few familiars as possible (even if they respawn) will earn you more time points.

Also note that this bonus is greatly amplified if you're playing as a solo human character, presumably because they have a much harder time not destroying familiars by accident.

At this point, yup! Still, though, Alice should've learned Little Legion by now...

Nope, she doesn't have it yet. She's Lv28.

EDIT: Turns out that I can't read numbers apparently, she was actually only Lv26. Got it now, looks very useful. Maybe it's even possible to salvage Reimu's barriers with it!

Kanako does, but Suwako too?

Yes, even Suwako. I can get her HP down to about half when I'm doing well, but then I just run out of steam. Even Nitori (currently my strongest damage dealer) deals much less damage to her than usual... ...and now I know why. Thanks, that should help!

Edited by Scarlet

I call hax

Byakuren does literally 1 point of damage to Kanako when hitting her with her weakness. And no, she's not underleveled.

I give up. What's the cheese method?

@Kalas: I'm currently taking a break from the SHMUPs, so someone else will have to do it. Sorry.

I just checked the wiki; what Kalas said is basically correct, although the exact formula is very complicated. Basically, destroying as few familiars as possible (even if they respawn) will earn you more time points.

Also note that this bonus is greatly amplified if you're playing as a solo human character, presumably because they have a much harder time not destroying familiars by accident.

I'll keep that in mind then, specially in Stage 2 since it's the only one I still fail in getting the time poins even without dying

Stage 4 and 5 I can get even if I die

Thanks kalas too ;o

I still kinda want someone to do an unbiased analysis of my replay, please....

pretty clean opening, only miss one point item on the first four waves, collect everything as high as you can. (Also enjoyed the focusing/unfocussing in time with the music, I do that a lot.) Missed several power in the following waves, but I think that's unavoidable with Sakuya's movespeed, I like how you're using the angled shots to your advantage, that's always so tough for me. You use focus to kill Cirno, which greatly decreases your cherry gain and prevents you from getting a border directly after killing her, which is highly helpful for collection purposes (especially as still not full power). You do collect enough total power though to start stage 2 maced though, which is excellent.

You fight Letty focused, and really she's easy enough you shouldn't just to build up to that Cherry Max faster, imo. Mechanically you clear her very soundly, though. You're only a little over halfway to Cherry Max by Chen, which is behind optimal, I think you should get it during her card, if memory serves. Well dodged and captured though, no issues. You're a little timid at the line of collection, often dropping down and not getting max points (this is throughout the stage, actually), that may come from not being familiar when and where the fairies come in from the sides, and should be taken care of with some more practice probably. You don't graze as much in Border as you probably should be, especially easy grazes like the aimed lines of blue bullets. You do collect everything at mac in the bullet finale before Chen boss though, so I'm proud of you there.

You make Pentagram Flight look easy, so I'm jealous there, good work, but you didn't try to autocollect those droppings, which you should be able to, even if it seems a little dangerous. Sage's Rumbling captured in two passes, pretty optimal, nice work. Immortal Sage also deftly handled, no problems, nothing to say.

Seeing your Stage 3 openers I am now so jealous of Sakuya B's waveclear, that's amazing. The Border after 2nd midboss Alice was perfectly timely.

You didn't autocollect after French Dolls, I'm not sure why not. Borders during Dutch Dolls always fun, gotta love it. Great job on London Dolls, that's always her toughest spell for me, you probably could have autocollected though. Shanghai dolls were no match for you, and still a perfect game so far, this is a place you want to be at at this point.

That Border at Stage 4 start, nicely timed, makes things less hectic. Trying to sneak kills on both sides of the green and yellow fairies forces you into a pickle and you bomb. I usually just focus on staying safe on one side, and if you're not collecting the point items, I don't know if it's worth the risk for just killing them, maybe somebody better at the game could weigh in. A few more bombs coming out in the streaming section of the stage, not completely unexpected or unwarranted, and with Sakuya's large initial stock and weaker damages, a perfectly fine thing to use when feeling threatened, though it does hurt your score a bit. Your Lily White fight saw you getting pushed to the side a little more than perhaps you'd have liked, but you still take her with no issue, so well done. There was really no need to bomb that second set of green/yellow fairies was there? And twice? I question that a lot, actually, way more than the streaming bombs I've been a bit more forgiving on. Trying to actually kill the blue/red fairies lands you in a pickled, and having used up your bombs you lose your first life here. Just stream left/right the whole time and ignore those bitches, imo. You break your first border on the pretty large fairy right before boss, I think this was the first one of the game, so good for lasting this far. A shame though, it looked like you might've cleared it without though.

Bombing the trumpets curvy lasers is always acceptable. curvy lasers can die in a fire. Still, you shouldn't have needed 3 bombs on one nonspell, that's rough. Her straight laser red/blue pattern gives you some trouble too, for another pair of bombs, yowzers. At least the spellcard was well streamed, but you opted for trumpet sister again, which is (imo) unfortunate, maybe? I think violins may be the easiest, but I'm still not sure. Anyway, out of bombs you now die to her noncard, which I kinda saw coming. Bombing right as you get the full power screen clear was kind of ill timed too, I have to say... That card though... rough. At least you captured the final concert, though bombing the very start of the penultimate one confused me a little.

A pretty good job with stage 5 opener collection, aided by a convenient border. Bombed out Youmu's first nonspell patter, only needed one, so if it troubles you, a good call. came close to capturing Young Gaki, but alas... Anyway, having hit the 800 point extend by Youmu Boss is pretty good, fairly on-target with expected probably. There are, IIRc 136 point items in Stage 6 opener, so you'll fall short of the next extend unless things go really well/lucky for you, I predict. (Welp, I was wrong I forgot how many you get from Youmu/Yuyuko's cards into the equation, spoilers you end with 1117/1200, pretty good work.) You take this version of Youmu's nonspell pattern just fine no problems, and I don't really notice a big difference between it and her midboss affair, so good job not needing a bomb on it. Very nice capture on 200 Yojuna. You have some trouble with the butterfly bullets patterns nonspell, specifically when she throws the two long knife streams, 2 bombs and a border, but not dieing is worth it. You make Karmic Punishment E your bitch, great to see. You had been doing fine on Human Sword, but then it looked like you froze and stopped streaming, so you had to bomb, also blew a border afterward, but nbd I guess, at that point. It looked like you could do signs of the Deva with only one bomb, but then you got caught and died at the end, that had to be disappointing.

Grabbing all those stage 6 opener point items come to you via autocollect near the bottom of the screen when Youmu shows up is so much less points than blowing a bomb and grabbing them at mac value I think. I don't know the value loss exactly, but it's definitely something to consider, maybe I should run tests in Practice to be sure... Youmu's weaved bullet wall nonspell takes another bomb, but you capture ageless obsession. That's a trade I'd take any day than clearing the nonspell and bombing the spell, lol (usually what happens to me, I think).

Panic bomb in the early stage of Yuyuko's opener is a bit disappointing, but the rest of it went fine and you didn't break your Border, so good on that. 2 bombs on Lost Soul's Village, I fully expected one, it's a rough card for most shot types. You quickly get forced to the lower left in the 2nd nonspell and can't stream your way back out, which leads to a bomb, I wish I had a tip for you there, but I don't remember how to do it. Deadly Dance and the homing bubbles always kick my ass, so the fact that you capture it is worthy of my immense respect, holy shit. I'm not sure I would have gone for the manual border break in nonspell three, it's her least threatening pattern, imo. Ghost Butterfly captured, but a little timidly at parts, still, can't complain. I actually find 4th nonspell harder to stream on easy than normal myself, take that as you will, so you doing a clean job on it here was nice to see. Sadly, you screwed up Repository of Hirokawa badly at the start there and die to it. I can't remember if you had bombs when it happened. Then you die again... It's one of her easier spells, imo, you need to practice it. Using the Border cancel at the start of Perfect Blossom was expected, tbh, add in using all your remaining bombs and you're not leaving anything to chance. Probably the right call, tbh. (Sidenote: I wish I had a replay of when I captured it on Normal, but alas it was after a continue, so it is lost to the depths.) Reflowering was kind of embarrassing to watch, tbh. Only the red butterfly bullets should ever really be the threat here. Practice more. Still, a nice 1cc with a leftover life to spare.

Edited by Balcerzak

pretty clean opening, only miss one point item on the first four waves, collect everything as high as you can. (Also enjoyed the focusing/unfocussing in time with the music, I do that a lot.) Missed several power in the following waves, but I think that's unavoidable with Sakuya's movespeed, I like how you're using the angled shots to your advantage, that's always so tough for me. You use focus to kill Cirno, which greatly decreases your cherry gain and prevents you from getting a border directly after killing her, which is highly helpful for collection purposes (especially as still not full power). You do collect enough total power though to start stage 2 maced though, which is excellent.

You fight Letty focused, and really she's easy enough you shouldn't just to build up to that Cherry Max faster, imo. Mechanically you clear her very soundly, though. You're only a little over halfway to Cherry Max by Chen, which is behind optimal, I think you should get it during her card, if memory serves. Well dodged and captured though, no issues. You're a little timid at the line of collection, often dropping down and not getting max points (this is throughout the stage, actually), that may come from not being familiar when and where the fairies come in from the sides, and should be taken care of with some more practice probably. You don't graze as much in Border as you probably should be, especially easy grazes like the aimed lines of blue bullets. You do collect everything at mac in the bullet finale before Chen boss though, so I'm proud of you there.

You make Pentagram Flight look easy, so I'm jealous there, good work, but you didn't try to autocollect those droppings, which you should be able to, even if it seems a little dangerous. Sage's Rumbling captured in two passes, pretty optimal, nice work. Immortal Sage also deftly handled, no problems, nothing to say.

Seeing your Stage 3 openers I am now so jealous of Sakuya B's waveclear, that's amazing. The Border after 2nd midboss Alice was perfectly timely.

You didn't autocollect after French Dolls, I'm not sure why not. Borders during Dutch Dolls always fun, gotta love it. Great job on London Dolls, that's always her toughest spell for me, you probably could have autocollected though. Shanghai dolls were no match for you, and still a perfect game so far, this is a place you want to be at at this point.

That Border at Stage 4 start, nicely timed, makes things less hectic. Trying to sneak kills on both sides of the green and yellow fairies forces you into a pickle and you bomb. I usually just focus on staying safe on one side, and if you're not collecting the point items, I don't know if it's worth the risk for just killing them, maybe somebody better at the game could weigh in. A few more bombs coming out in the streaming section of the stage, not completely unexpected or unwarranted, and with Sakuya's large initial stock and weaker damages, a perfectly fine thing to use when feeling threatened, though it does hurt your score a bit. Your Lily White fight saw you getting pushed to the side a little more than perhaps you'd have liked, but you still take her with no issue, so well done. There was really no need to bomb that second set of green/yellow fairies was there? And twice? I question that a lot, actually, way more than the streaming bombs I've been a bit more forgiving on. Trying to actually kill the blue/red fairies lands you in a pickled, and having used up your bombs you lose your first life here. Just stream left/right the whole time and ignore those bitches, imo. You break your first border on the pretty large fairy right before boss, I think this was the first one of the game, so good for lasting this far. A shame though, it looked like you might've cleared it without though.

Bombing the trumpets curvy lasers is always acceptable. curvy lasers can die in a fire. Still, you shouldn't have needed 3 bombs on one nonspell, that's rough. Her straight laser red/blue pattern gives you some trouble too, for another pair of bombs, yowzers. At least the spellcard was well streamed, but you opted for trumpet sister again, which is (imo) unfortunate, maybe? I think violins may be the easiest, but I'm still not sure. Anyway, out of bombs you now die to her noncard, which I kinda saw coming. Bombing right as you get the full power screen clear was kind of ill timed too, I have to say... That card though... rough. At least you captured the final concert, though bombing the very start of the penultimate one confused me a little.

A pretty good job with stage 5 opener collection, aided by a convenient border. Bombed out Youmu's first nonspell patter, only needed one, so if it troubles you, a good call. came close to capturing Young Gaki, but alas... Anyway, having hit the 800 point extend by Youmu Boss is pretty good, fairly on-target with expected probably. There are, IIRc 136 point items in Stage 6 opener, so you'll fall short of the next extend unless things go really well/lucky for you, I predict. (Welp, I was wrong I forgot how many you get from Youmu/Yuyuko's cards into the equation, spoilers you end with 1117/1200, pretty good work.) You take this version of Youmu's nonspell pattern just fine no problems, and I don't really notice a big difference between it and her midboss affair, so good job not needing a bomb on it. Very nice capture on 200 Yojuna. You have some trouble with the butterfly bullets patterns nonspell, specifically when she throws the two long knife streams, 2 bombs and a border, but not dieing is worth it. You make Karmic Punishment E your bitch, great to see. You had been doing fine on Human Sword, but then it looked like you froze and stopped streaming, so you had to bomb, also blew a border afterward, but nbd I guess, at that point. It looked like you could do signs of the Deva with only one bomb, but then you got caught and died at the end, that had to be disappointing.

Grabbing all those stage 6 opener point items come to you via autocollect near the bottom of the screen when Youmu shows up is so much less points than blowing a bomb and grabbing them at mac value I think. I don't know the value loss exactly, but it's definitely something to consider, maybe I should run tests in Practice to be sure... Youmu's weaved bullet wall nonspell takes another bomb, but you capture ageless obsession. That's a trade I'd take any day than clearing the nonspell and bombing the spell, lol (usually what happens to me, I think).

Panic bomb in the early stage of Yuyuko's opener is a bit disappointing, but the rest of it went fine and you didn't break your Border, so good on that. 2 bombs on Lost Soul's Village, I fully expected one, it's a rough card for most shot types. You quickly get forced to the lower left in the 2nd nonspell and can't stream your way back out, which leads to a bomb, I wish I had a tip for you there, but I don't remember how to do it. Deadly Dance and the homing bubbles always kick my ass, so the fact that you capture it is worthy of my immense respect, holy shit. I'm not sure I would have gone for the manual border break in nonspell three, it's her least threatening pattern, imo. Ghost Butterfly captured, but a little timidly at parts, still, can't complain. I actually find 4th nonspell harder to stream on easy than normal myself, take that as you will, so you doing a clean job on it here was nice to see. Sadly, you screwed up Repository of Hirokawa badly at the start there and die to it. I can't remember if you had bombs when it happened. Then you die again... It's one of her easier spells, imo, you need to practice it. Using the Border cancel at the start of Perfect Blossom was expected, tbh, add in using all your remaining bombs and you're not leaving anything to chance. Probably the right call, tbh. (Sidenote: I wish I had a replay of when I captured it on Normal, but alas it was after a continue, so it is lost to the depths.) Reflowering was kind of embarrassing to watch, tbh. Only the red butterfly bullets should ever really be the threat here. Practice more. Still, a nice 1cc with a leftover life to spare.

That wall of text.

Um, so thanks for that. I'll make sure to take the stuff you said as advice and use it during my next run (maybe today, Iunno).

Kanako is vulnerable to Instant Death.

Hahahaha. This is so retarded. xD

I had Suwako defeated and Kanako down to 0 MP (Mokou with Xu Fu's Dimension and Fire Land Bonus pretty much cannot die), but it was completely impossible for me to overcome her 200 HP Land Power Regeneration (and there was nothing I could've done to lower the Light level back down), so we just traded ineffective blows for ages until I managed to resurrect Youmu with Mokou's Last Word, who also triggered her Last Word when she next got hit.

Kanako actually died. xD

Okay, what is this

Iku always goes first unless I assign Aya as my commander and have her use Paparazzi. She also uses an attack that never seems to miss and inflicts Instant Death on my entire party, even against Instant Death resistance. It even ignores Reraise. Oo

yeah you're screwed.

I've been screwed pretty much for the entirety of the game. Didn't stop me from eventually beating the previous bosses anyway

Playing PCB easy. Managed to not die a lot to the PRISMRIVERS.

I've been screwed pretty much for the entirety of the game. Didn't stop me from eventually beating the previous bosses anyway

Maybe it's because you get used to getting screwed in that position, and you soon figure out how to stop getting screwed.

I bet the bottle is, like, the ultimate weapon.

...I kinda want to see that now.

It's like ToS where the best buy-able weapons are push brooms and paper fans but better.

I still want this to happen.

I still want this to happen.

Given the fact that I've been finding stuff like watches and billboards to use as shields, it might just happen. :newyears:

Given the fact that I've been finding stuff like watches and billboards to use as shields, it might just happen. :newyears:

Now we need pot lids as shields, pots as helmets, lolipops as hammers/staves, etc.