• Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
    • Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
    • Great Fairy Wars ~ Fairy Wars
    • Shoutoku Legend ~ True Administrator
    • Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess

idk

seeing you guys talk about this game is making me want to try it

but seeing scarlet suffer with the bosses so much is having the opposite effect

His suffering is mostly based on his philosophy that all bosses should theoretically be beatable within your first attempt at facing them, rather than having to get owned by utter BS tricks and being forced to play differently without any hints being provided at how to properly deal with them. I can understand and appreciate this, but I don't agree with that. If you can enjoy trying to analyze the boss's BS tricks, and develop strategies to overcome those, I'm sure you'd enjoy GoS a lot!

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

idk

seeing you guys talk about this game is making me want to try it

but seeing scarlet suffer with the bosses so much is having the opposite effect

Eh, It's not really that hard. I just reached Bhava-Agra and never had to use either Alice or Sanae so far. good thing too, since they don't fit my playstyle.

Note: Though it might just be a case of me being used to old NES RPG difficulties.

Edited by Kopfjäger

Scarlet, how do I even survive kanako's last spell in hard modo?

I literally reached her last spell with 3 lives and she's still literally crushed me on the second phase of the spell

It's not much different from Normal Mode, just harder. I don't think there's a trick to it, I'm afraid - Kanako's HP in this spellcard are absolutely massive, no matter the difficulty, so the only thing you can really try to do is to have at least 4 Power when going into this spellcard.

You'll most likely need unfocused speed to reliably dodge some of the charms once the speed picks up, but more important is the ability to quickly spot safe gaps in the pattern withhin your peripheral vision, as the biggest danger once Kanako's HP are down to half or less is getting walled.

Hard Mode is still doable imo, but the Lunatic version is really insane.

The only advice I can give is to give it a few tries using continues (or preferably Practice Mode, if you already have Stage 6 unlocked for it).

Eh, It's not really that hard. I just reached Bhava-Agra and never had to use either Alice or Sanae so far. good thing too, since they don't fit my playstyle.

You've played this game before, though, haven't you? Knowing is half the battle, and I wouldn't have anywhere near as much trouble if I already knew how to deal with each boss in advance.

Note: Though it might just be a case of me being used to old NES RPG difficulties.

That's not it; I've played and beaten plenty of difficult old-school RPGs. Besides, the difficulty in those usually comes more from the fact that they expect you to grind rather than actually having enemies with genuinely challenging attack patterns.

Edited by Scarlet

You've played this game before, though, haven't you? Knowing is half the battle, and I wouldn't have anywhere near as much trouble if I already knew how to deal with each boss in advance.

That's not it; I've played and beaten plenty of difficult old-school RPGs. Besides, the difficulty in those usually comes more from the fact that they expect you to grind rather than actually having enemies with genuinely challenging attack patterns.

Nope, that's from my first run through the game. Granted, proto spoiled me on the gimmicks of some bosses (namely Okuu), so I was prepared for her. I did find Kanako's Gimmick entirely by accident though. XD

@Kalas: Damn, the last three achievements are kinda difficult. xD

Nope, that's from my first run through the game. Granted, proto spoiled me on the gimmicks of some bosses (namely Okuu), so I was prepared for her. I did find Kanako's Gimmick entirely by accident though. XD

Meh.

By now my standard boss slayer party consists of Alice, Youmu, Marisa, Sanae, and a situational slot depending on the boss (though I tend to give it to Sakuya or Nitori when I don't need anybody else), with Mokou as the commander, and I'm having a much easier time than when I used to just waltz in with the standard party I use for random encounters. Maybe I just had the wrong party setup all this time; given the fact that there are no healing items, I probably should've realized sooner that using a healer and revival spells for boss battles might be a good idea. >_>

It probably also wasn't a good idea not to recruit Byakuren early, given how much of a help Mokou was, and Byakuren's commander ability is a godsend if you don't want to leave the dungeons every five minutes to restore your MP.

But eh, what's done's done.

The Stage 15 boss was a wimp, by the way. First boss since Momiji that I managed to beat on my first try lol.

Hmm, amusingly, my usual party is the exact same one I use on the draft.

Most of my offense usually comes from an Elemental-Sworded Youmu/Sakuya/Mokou, though depending on boss, Mokou might be in the commander slot, just depends on how much I need her reraise.

The first four in your list I can understand, but...

Is there even any reason to ever use Reimu again after the Netherworld? All things considered, Reimu is a Jack of All Trades, except that once everything arbitrarily starts being immune to Light damage, about two thirds of her utility effectively cease to exist, reducing her to a vastly inferior Sanae.

As for Aya, I haven't used the Paparazzi Square Combo even once so far, and it hardly seems worth it to give the Commander slot to her when you can have someone amazing like Mokou or Byakuren in it. And Aya's combat abilities are, uh, less than impressive. xD"

Reimu triviliazes any boss that relies on status effects. And she's my main healer since Byakuren don't learn any heals till level 30+.

As for Aya, by then it was either her or Nitori. I don't NEED Nitori at all with my Mokou/Sakuya/Youmu setup, so Aya's my choice instead.

Edited by Kopfjäger

To me, the only really good thing about Reimu is her niche in providing various barriers, namely the status immunity and Super Duplex Barrier. Her Light Magic and healing is nice, but nothing special.

I do agree with Byakuren being the best commander for generics though. Devil's Recitation is awesome, and MP restoration helps a lot for spamming skills.

Also, imo the Stage 16 boss is easier than the Stage 15 boss, and the Stage 17 boss is still lame. You'll have to wait for Stage 19 for a challenging boss battle.

Still, though, the Stage 15 boss is the first boss with my favorite original music of the entire game.

Edited by Railgun

I usually prefer to have Byakuren in the party for generic enemies.

If only because she seems to activate Flying Fantastica often.

Once Alice has Little Legion, though, she can pretty much fulfill the same role as Reimu's barriers, except better. Pump up her Res and you don't even really need to prepare for any specific status beforehand lol. 90!Res Alice is damn near invincible. xP

(Unless your enemy is called "Officer Demon" and casually OHKOs her with a 700 damage attack. Wtf?)

In other news, I've never seen a boss run out of MP that fast lol. Quite possibly the easiest boss so far.

finally got a 1cc in MoF since my first one @_@

sadly, my score was actually lower than the first one

gotta train my stage 5 and Kanako more, but at least I managed to go through mountain of faith without dying (though I probably bombed more than necessary during it) and can finally capture Expanded Onbashira reliably now :D

Congrats!

Aside from capturing spellcards, your score in MoF primarily depends on how often you die and at what points, as dying results in a huge drop in the value of point items. If you died more in Stage 4 and 5 than you did in your previous 1cc (even if the overall number of deaths is the same or lower), receiving a lower score is not surprising.

Alternatively, were you using a different shot type? Some shot types have an easier time managing their Faith gauge than others. It's not intuitive in the slightest, but for instance, killing enemies too quickly (so that none are left on-screen) will actually result in a huge loss of Faith, as will being too quick to use the PoC in certain instances.

tl;dr version: MoF's scoring system is dumb.

Edited by Scarlet

I got to Kanako with only 4 lives this time, while the other time my first death was on Stage 6 >_>

Both with ReimuA

and I kinda like MoF's scoring system

I actually have times where I want to try to get stuff normally even when i can easily use the PoC not to let the faith thing drop, which I like since you gotta find a balance in collecting normally and auto-collecting :O

or at least that's how I see it

Edited by Odo

I got to Kanako with only 4 lives this time, while the other time my first death was on Stage 6 >_>

Yeah, that would probably be the reason, then. By the time you get to Stage 6, you'll already have seen most of the point items in the game, so a drop in Faith at that point doesn't matter as much as if your deaths are more scattered throughout the stages.

and I kinda like MoF's scoring system

I actually have times where I want to try to get stuff normally even when i can easily use the PoC not to let the faith thing drop, which I like since you gotta find a balance in collecting normally and auto-collecting :O

or at least that's how I see it

It's dumb because it punishes you for playing well.

Also, Stage 18 in Genius of Sappheiros is stupid. The random encounters there would be BS difficult even without the gimmick. >_>

Yeah, that would probably be the reason, then. By the time you get to Stage 6, you'll already have seen most of the point items in the game, so a drop in Faith at that point doesn't matter as much as if your deaths are more scattered throughout the stages.

yeah, death does impact your faith count a lot

It's dumb because it punishes you for playing well.

to each his own, i guess

i still gotta figure out how SA scoring works, I think it's the only one that i know nothing of it if I'm not remembering wrong

i still gotta figure out how SA scoring works, I think it's the only one that i know nothing of it if I'm not remembering wrong

Iirc, it depends mostly on graze and utilizing the PoC. Grazing a lot builds up your communication meter, which affects the value of point items collected regularly, and making it flash by grazing makes you auto collect at full value. Every, I think, 100 graze increases the communication gaze value by .01.

Also, I'm guessing that graze does stuff because of complaints of graze doing nothing in MoF

Edited by Spiriter Kalas

Yeah, pretty much.

Scoring in SA consists pretty much of just three things:

1. Never die.

2. Never die.

3. Graze as much as possible.