• The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field
    • Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
    • Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
    • Great Fairy Wars ~ Fairy Wars
    • Shoutoku Legend ~ True Administrator
    • Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess

I got hit once.

Are they shit, or something.

no just i thought after you were going to 1cc all the easies you'd play other stuff (UFO is the only bad one though)

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

*makes guide for Shezzy*

hard is a joke to you now, of course!

It feels good to hear how I've made UFO Hard my bitch. :3

I still have to try Dodonpachi and maybe CAVE?

*makes guide for Shezzy*

It feels good to hear how I've made UFO Hard my bitch. :3

I still have to try Dodonpachi and maybe CAVE?

nope, ketsui

you shouldn't turn into only playing touhou to only playing CAVE though :P:

Alright Shezzy, so for UFO:

ReimuA: Amazing damage output against bosses. You'd have to try in stages, but that's alright since she does a pretty good job in them. This shot is high power and nothing else, really, but that's quite fine considering she's just handy to have and use. Her bomb is quite powerful, too.

ReimuB: Her homing is pretty good in this game. She has her uses over ReimuA in which she makes stages easier and can hit bosses from nearly anywhere, but she's fairly weaker. Fantasy Seal is a good bomb. Still not a bad shot, though there are better options.

MarisaA: Pretty much Marisa's answer to ReimuA. Her lasers pierce, which make her useful for UFO slaying. Piercing lasers help a lot with that and in stages, and the lasers themselves do quite a lot of damage. Master Spark is good, as always, and she's just a solid shot overall. That is, if you're used to Marisa's speed and other quirks. Only use her if you can rock and roll with the magician.

MarisaB: Stay away from this shot. She doesn't provide anything useful to anyone. Her shot itself has a decent shotgun, but good luck doing that. Damage from far away isn't so hot, which sucks quite a lot. Alright, her bomb is wicked nice for stages, but it's a bomb that barely does any damage against bosses and the invincibility duration doesn't last very long, for some reason. Scoring benefits? MarisaA still outclasses her in that regard on higher difficulties. So there goes any reason to consider MarisaB.

SanaeA: Pretty much similar to ReimuB in performance. Homing snakes are helpful, but they're not as prominent as ReimuB's orbs. Her bomb is nice, essentially being an improved version of MarisaB's bomb. This shot is worse than ReimuB, but it's still a somewhat decent one. But why use a shot that's somewhat decent when you can just use a good one?

SanaeB: My personal favorite. <3 Frog spread helps a lot in stages (trivializes Stage 6), and Wily Toad is the strongest bomb in the game. It helps that Sanae can move freely during the bomb's duration and she's completely invincible while it's in action, as well. The unfocused shotgun this shot has is also the strongest in the game (focused shotgun is also very handy, in some areas), but I don't recommend you worry about it unless you've used a bomb. Damage far away is also good...at full power. This shot doesn't have much power from far away below 3.00+ power, so be careful.

For a first clear, I recommend ReimuA or ReimuB if you're going to go for reds. If you want greens to bombspam, SanaeB would be the way to go, but going down a red route is recommended. MarisaA is certainly useable if you're adventurous enough, too.

nope, ketsui

you shouldn't turn into only playing touhou to only playing CAVE though :P:

Oh, okay.

Fucking gross lol

Also, I watched that 1cc, good job ZM.

dank u

I remember why i stopped playing in the first place- it stopped being fun. Now playing just feels forced.

Don't force yourself to play. It'll never be fun.

If Touhou isn't fun for you, then I would strongly recommend taking a break from it. No point in playing something you can't enjoy.

Also, congratulations, Shezzy! I seriously think you're ready for Normal.

[spoiler=Ten Desires Relevant Mechanics and Advice]TD has the easiest bullet patterns from all the Windows Touhou games. However, it's also the stingiest when it comes to resources. In order to get sufficient resources (still less than what you get in other games), you need to learn the Trance system.

Killing generics or shooting bosses will release blue or grey spirits. More spirits are dropped the earlier you kill the generic enemy, or the closer you are when shooting a boss. Spirits are not items, they cannot be auto-collected. As long as you don't care about score, consider blue spirits = grey spirits.

Collecting blue/grey spirits will fill your Spirit Gauge, shown in the bottom-left. This gauge has three bars. If you die while you have at least one bar filled, you will go into Trance Mode, a state in which you are completely invincible and your shot will be boosted. You will still lose the life after Trance Mode expires. Each bar provides 3.33 seconds of Trance (for a maximum of 9.99 seconds).

If your spirit gauge is maxed (three bars), you can also manually enter Trance Mode by pressing C. This will not cost you your life, of course. Similar to deathbombing, you can also press C (maxed gauge only) when you get hit to manually activate Trance and negate the death. This is generally referred to as the deathTrance and should not be confused with the dying Trance which activates when you actually die.

Trance Mode may sound like an alternative to bombing, but it has more applications. This is where green and purple spirits come in...

Some enemies and most (mid)boss spells (all but the final spell of the stage) drop green and/or purple spirits. These are fixed for as long as those enemies are defeated or the spell is cleared (capturing not required, but timing out doesn't count!). Green spirits are bomb pieces, and purple spirits are life pieces. 8 bomb pieces will yield a bomb, and the number of life pieces that form a life increases with each extra life you get, going from 8 -> 10 -> 12 -> 15 -> 18 -> 20.

How is Trance related to this? When in Trance Mode, the value of green and purple spirits are doubled, so they will provide two bomb/life pieces instead of one. As you may have expected from the previous paragraph, racking up extra lives is quite a pain since the purple spirit demand gets worse and worse. Trance helps a lot in securing those extra lives.

In general, if you ever see two or more purple spirits on the screen and your Spirit Gauge is full, it is strongly advised that you activate Trance. After beating a midboss is often a good time for this.

Though it is recommended that you save up your Trances for these moments (2 or more purple spirits), this should not outprioritize your survival. If you're fighting a boss and you're afraid you might die while you have 0 bombs at a maxed gauge, it's better to Trance than die. This can screw up your life piece accumulation patterns, but don't worry, there are usually plenty of opportunities to fix that.

Anyhow, with proper purple spirit abuse, you should try to at least secure the 12 Extend. The 15 Extend may prove to be difficult to obtain, so don't worry too much if you don't get it.

tl;dr - Press C if your Spirit Gauge (bottom-left corner) is full (three bars filled) and you see 2 or more purple spirits on the screen.

btw MarisaA is my personal favorite UFO shot type~ <3

ReimuA and SanaeB are great too. SanaeB is the best for green players. While ReimuA and MarisaA are better for red players imo. My first 1cc was with ReimuA, fyi.

Also, UFO is a game where you REALLY need to master its gimmick in order to perform well at the game. Which is the UFO system that Annie loves to hate. I can explain the survival-relevant aspects of the UFO system after you take care of TD and EoSD.

Lol resurrection butterfly.

Killed many a 1cc.

Not for me, on normal, blind.

...Then I closed out the entire game out of excitement