• Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess
    • The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field
    • Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
    • Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
    • Great Fairy Wars ~ Fairy Wars
    • Shoutoku Legend ~ True Administrator
    • Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess

so i just read this 2hu related doujin...and i..i cant stop crying.. TAT

imagine if you can only live 30 years and bound to die shortly after your finally united with the one you loved...

this feel is too much...

http://pururin.com/gallery/6730/bamboo-flowers.html

Edited by pukuriripo

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

I'm not Proto, but: don't die. Bomb, abuse trance, but don't die. As far as lives are concerned, TD is the stingiest game in the series. Even with perfect use of trance to maximize the amount of life/bomb pieces you get, I don't think it's at all possible to get more than 5 Extends throughout the game, and even getting just 4 can be difficult if you don't have trance ready at a few critical moments.

To parrot back what RAYKITTY~ says, take very good care of your lives. TD is the stingiest game when it comes to extra lives (it's quite generous with extra bombs though). It is important to abuse Trance to double the value of purple spirits (which form extra lives). And of course, don't die.

Note that from all of the Windows games, I would definitely consider TD to have the easiest bullet patterns and such (though my judgment on DDC may not be reliable, since even the demo was released well after I 1cc'd everything but SA/UFO). It even has Spell Practice, allowing you to quickly master spells. But yeah, it's very stingy with extra lives so you can't afford to screw up too often.

It's perfectly okay to time out Yoshika btw. Capturing some of her spells are very hard, and timing out is good enough.

Okay!

so i just read this 2hu related doujin...and i..i cant stop crying.. TAT

imagine if you can only live 30 years and bound to die shortly after your finally united with the one you loved...

this feel is too much...

link

Er...Puku...

Metalbookman is just getting into the games.

Just out of curiousity, how did you get that from my name metalsnowman?

Also just realized that if my internet at home cut out while I was at work, I am going to be very upset when I get home.

Stage 2~

And Stage 3~

I just didn't get Nitori's last spell and died at Hina's first boss non-spell like usual >.>

Seriously, i find that so much harder than her spells

Gotta thank Proto for the hitbox detail he told me about yesterday which made me try to not bomb skip Nitori's first boss spell

not on those replays, but I think i got my most stupid death ever in stage 3 when i thought a bullet was a collectible and went straight to it haha

not on those replays, but I think i got my most stupid death ever in stage 3 when i thought a bullet was a collectible and went straight to it haha

Believe me, this has happened to all of us at some point. UFO is especially bad when it comes to this as there, bullets and the point/power items often have the same color and roughly the same size. xD

I wasn't paying attention, sorry. ^^;

Well you got 2/3rds of it right so its all good lol

[spoiler=lots of swear words]

God fucking dammit my computer piece of shit uploading videos.

Ok, I'm going to get this video up one day hopefully soon.

I'm doin some computer maintenance atm since I haven't done that in awhile and my comp has been actin up lately.

Edited by metalsnowman3

Stage 2~

And Stage 3~

I just didn't get Nitori's last spell and died at Hina's first boss non-spell like usual >.>

Seriously, i find that so much harder than her spells

Gotta thank Proto for the hitbox detail he told me about yesterday which made me try to not bomb skip Nitori's first boss spell

Stage 2 - Oh, dear, why are all the new players dodging Hina's midboss spell in stupidly dangerous movements? You were able to capture it though, so that's quite amazing. You did pretty well on the rest of the stage too.

Hina - Okay, about her first non-spell, the bullet density is somewhat high, so my advice would be to remain focused 100% of the time. You'll move slowly and you'll see your hitbox, so it'd be unlikely for you to collide into a circular bullet like you did this time. Or, if you know that this is a troublesome non-spell, then just bombskip it. MoF is basically Touhou: Bomb Spam Edition, so don't be afraid to abuse your bombs since it's easy to get Power back. As for the other spells and non-spells, you did a very good job capturing them all.

Stage 3 - So much Faith loss ReimuA is awesome in Stage 3, it seems. I wanted to see how you'll deal with the streaming part, but apparently ReimuA completely trivializes that part. You did a very good job of surviving all the bullet patterns and stuff. As for midboss!Nitori, uh, I would not recommend moving to the extreme sides, since you'll get less damage in. Staying near the middle should let you do more damage and let the spell end quickly.

Nitori - You did a very good job on all of her non-spells. First spell, you didn't panic, which is good, and you seemed to have figured out how to deal with the spell perfectly. FYI the horizontal water bullets wouldn't have killed you even if the spell didn't end so early. Second spell, okay, you're really, really good at finding safe paths. My current approach to this spell makes it a lot tougher. You make it look really easy! As for the final spell, uh, yeah, the lasers could be quite hard to read for a beginner, so you might wanna bomb if you're unsure of your safety.

Stage 4 - That first death >_>. You dealt with everything else in the beginning really well tough. The restreaming fairies, the big tiny bullet fairies, and the vertically moving bullet walls. You even got yourself into a good position to face Momiji, and were doing pretty well until you died to her. Vertical movement on criss-crossing bullets can sometimes be a bit risky. And then you just bombed to her with no penalty whatsoever (got 5.00 Power). You should do that more often. The rest were dealt with very well, until you had three big fairies spamming tiny bullets. This is one part where I pretty much always bomb, and considering that you were at 5.00 Power, you definitely should've bombed too.

Overall - You're doing really well, especially for someone who just got into Touhou. Being able to perform so well in Stage 4 after like, a week of playing, is quite an achievement. You do still have a few issues that can easily be dealt with. You're also not bomb-spamming much, but always keep in mind that this game is very forgiving when it comes to bombing, so you don't need to face all the tough parts head-on.

As RAYKITTY~ said, this happened to all of us at some point or another.

Believe me, this has happened to all of us at some point. UFO is especially bad when it comes to this as there, bullets and the point/power items often have the same color and roughly the same size. xD

I learned my lesson in UFO to never try collecting anything that doesn't look like a UFO token in Stages 4-5. Heck, in Stage 4, I force myself to hold back on collecting UFO tokens.

Take your time.

Also, where do I find my TD replays again??

Press Windows+R (Run), type in "appdata", and Run. Then navigate to Roaming -> ShanghaiAlice -> th13 -> replay

Stage 2 - Oh, dear, why are all the new players dodging Hina's midboss spell in stupidly dangerous movements? You were able to capture it though, so that's quite amazing. You did pretty well on the rest of the stage too.

Yes, I can also manage it quite well by going to the side, but that also takes longer and makes it more tedious, so i decided to risk myself a bit more

Hina - Okay, about her first non-spell, the bullet density is somewhat high, so my advice would be to remain focused 100% of the time. You'll move slowly and you'll see your hitbox, so it'd be unlikely for you to collide into a circular bullet like you did this time. Or, if you know that this is a troublesome non-spell, then just bombskip it. MoF is basically Touhou: Bomb Spam Edition, so don't be afraid to abuse your bombs since it's easy to get Power back. As for the other spells and non-spells, you did a very good job capturing them all.

Yeah, that first non-spell is pretty crazy compared to her other stuff So many Reimus were lost so I could achieve that :c

Stage 3 - So much Faith loss ReimuA is awesome in Stage 3, it seems. I wanted to see how you'll deal with the streaming part, but apparently ReimuA completely trivializes that part. You did a very good job of surviving all the bullet patterns and stuff. As for midboss!Nitori, uh, I would not recommend moving to the extreme sides, since you'll get less damage in. Staying near the middle should let you do more damage and let the spell end quickly.

:awesome:

Yeah, I decided to take the safer but longer route this time for her midboss spell

Nitori - You did a very good job on all of her non-spells. First spell, you didn't panic, which is good, and you seemed to have figured out how to deal with the spell perfectly. FYI the horizontal water bullets wouldn't have killed you even if the spell didn't end so early. Second spell, okay, you're really, really good at finding safe paths. My current approach to this spell makes it a lot tougher. You make it look really easy! As for the final spell, uh, yeah, the lasers could be quite hard to read for a beginner, so you might wanna bomb if you're unsure of your safety.

Hehe, thanks, though as I stated before, I only managed the second spell after learning that thing about the hitbox yesterday from you, in previous attempts I just waited until I got enclosed and bomb skipped it

With a bit more of practice I could maybe do it, but i decided that might be best move on to Stage 4 for now

Stage 4 - That first death >_>. You dealt with everything else in the beginning really well tough. The restreaming fairies, the big tiny bullet fairies, and the vertically moving bullet walls. You even got yourself into a good position to face Momiji, and were doing pretty well until you died to her. Vertical movement on criss-crossing bullets can sometimes be a bit risky. And then you just bombed to her with no penalty whatsoever (got 5.00 Power). You should do that more often. The rest were dealt with very well, until you had three big fairies spamming tiny bullets. This is one part where I pretty much always bomb, and considering that you were at 5.00 Power, you definitely should've bombed too.

Overall - You're doing really well, especially for someone who just got into Touhou. Being able to perform so well in Stage 4 after like, a week of playing, is quite an achievement. You do still have a few issues that can easily be dealt with. You're also not bomb-spamming much, but always keep in mind that this game is very forgiving when it comes to bombing, so you don't need to face all the tough parts head-on.

About the bombing, I actually decided after playing MoF a little to practice as little bombing as I can. I was bombing at bad times and just making it worse, and since I was bombskipping anything with the least of difficult, when I got to something really challenging, I didn't have good practice at dodging, so I decided to minimize my bomb use to practice dodging more, which led me to capturing those spells yesterday and today.

I believe I've grown in Touhou more in these last two days playing with minimal bombing than in all of my other attempts at EoSD, UFO and MoF. I'm feeling much less frustrated compared to before while playing it. Truth be told, I was almost giving up on Touhou after my experience with EoSD and UFO, but I think going MoF bombless might have renewed my will to continue.

I dunno, I don't think the replay will work in the full version? If it does, I don't really mind, although I can't really give you the 1cc bonus for it. xD"

You still have a full week for TD, though, so if you can beat Yoshika, I'm sure you can get even farther. Be confident and give it a go!

Yes, I can also manage it quite well by going to the side, but that also takes longer and makes it more tedious, so i decided to risk myself a bit more

Hmm, okay. You could still just slip between the gaps calmly, but well, as long as you can handle it.

Yeah, that first non-spell is pretty crazy compared to her other stuff So many Reimus were lost so I could achieve that :c

idk, I find her first spell slightly tougher, but you seem to be crazy good at identifying safe paths.

:awesome:

Yeah, I decided to take the safer but longer route this time for her midboss spell

As long as you're sure it's safer. Note that prolonging the spell increases the chance of screwing up.

Hehe, thanks, though as I stated before, I only managed the second spell after learning that thing about the hitbox yesterday from you, in previous attempts I just waited until I got enclosed and bomb skipped it

With a bit more of practice I could maybe do it, but i decided that might be best move on to Stage 4 for now

The hitbox thing actually applies to all Touhou games, actually. Sadly though, you can't see if when you focus in EoSD, but it is actually as small as it is in other games.

About the bombing, I actually decided after playing MoF a little to practice as little bombing as I can. I was bombing at bad times and just making it worse, and since I was bombskipping anything with the least of difficult, when I got to something really challenging, I didn't have good practice at dodging, so I decided to minimize my bomb use to practice dodging more, which led me to capturing those spells yesterday and today.

Okay, yeah, for practicing, you should refrain from bombing, since you'll want to try dealing with the spells and such. But for serious runs, keep in mind that you do have bombs and bombing is always preferable to dying (unless it's some BS like Fantastica). Touhou provides you with these resources, so make good use of them.

I also think it would be a good idea to Practice Mode individual stages and use bombs accordingly, so that you can see the net life loss on the entire stage and plan out your 1cc run based on that.

I believe I've grown in Touhou more in these last two days playing with minimal bombing than in all of my other attempts at EoSD, UFO and MoF. I'm feeling much less frustrated compared to before while playing it. Truth be told, I was almost giving up on Touhou after my experience with EoSD and UFO, but I think going MoF bombless might have renewed my will to continue.

But yeah, practicing Touhou without bombing helps you get better at dodging. As long as you're motivated to keep playing, it's all good.

I technically beat TD.

I just realized I had the demo version of it the whole time, and after I beat Yoshika, the game ended. :P

Technically, RAYKITTY~'s rules never said that the full version of the game needs to be cleared for the +3 bonus...

Technically, RAYKITTY~'s rules never said that the full version of the game needs to be cleared for the +3 bonus...

Please don't abuse loopholes. xD

In other news, I finally reached Mugetsu, the Extra boss of LLS. LLS Extra is tough enough that I had a really hard time even making it to the boss. I got her down to 60% of her health (her HP is much, much less than Alice's) before I lost my last life.

And with that, the only Extra Stage in which I haven't even reached the boss in is SoEW's (Rika), which is ironically my favorite non-Phantasmagoria Touhou game.

Edited by Railgun

In other news, I finally reached Mugetsu, the Extra boss of LLS.

I hear that there's another boss waiting after Mugetsu, though?

How many resources does LLS Extra give you?

It's weird how I found Stage 2 easier than Stage 3. >_>

Not really, although I guess some of Kyouko's spells could be considered harder (to survive, not to capture) than Yoshika's by some. xD

I hear that there's another boss waiting after Mugetsu, though?

Yup, Gengetsu. Which explains why I able to shave off 40% of Mugetsu's health in my first attempt :P

How many resources does LLS Extra give you?

I believe Extends depend on Score, so I'm not sure how many potential Extends you can get. As for me, I got one of the Score Extends during the stage, one from the midboss, and another one while fighting Mugetsu. I died twice during the stage (it's hard >_>), and lost three lives to Mugetsu (only the last one was wasted; with two bombs remaining).

Speaking of LLS, my attempts to 1LC the game have all failed. Mainly because no-deaths -> perpetual Max Rank. It doesn't help that Reimu is a very annoying boss (definitely tougher than Marisa) who can easily surprise-kill you if you're not expecting what attack she'll use next.

On the bright side, I did 1cc LLS Normal with default settings (2 initial lives, as opposed to 5) and I was able to capture the two toughest spells (imo) during that run: Stage 5 Yuuka Master Spark (1st capture, yay~, I discovered that horizontal dodging is actually possible in that tiny gap on the edge) and Stage 6 Yuuka's final spell (MarisaA's lasers are broken enough to annihilate Yuuka before the micrododging gets too intense).

Not really, although I guess some of Kyouko's spells could be considered harder (to survive, not to capture) than Yoshika's by some. xD

Yeah, but even trying to time out Yoshika's stuff makes her spells last longer, thus increasing the chance of screwing up. And I assume that if they're having trouble with anything Kyouko is throwing at them, they wouldn't be quite as confident in dealing with Yoshika.

Speaking of which, I tried some Yoshika Practice Mode with Youmu, and I was able to capture all her spells surprisingly easily. I'm not quite sure why I had trouble two years ago when I was using Reimu.

Edited by Railgun

Speaking of which, I tried some Yoshika Practice Mode with Youmu, and I was able to capture all her spells surprisingly easily. I'm not quite sure why I had trouble two years ago when I was using Reimu.

Probably because Reimu isn't quite as strong as SlashSpam!Youmu.

But you captured even Score Desire Eater? Wow, that one's, like, absurdly ridiculous on Hard. I only managed to capture the Hard Mode version once ever with Youmu, and only with 00.55 left on the timer. xD