• Gensokyo Millenium ~ History of the Moon
    • Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess
    • The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field
    • Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
    • Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
    • Great Fairy Wars ~ Fairy Wars
    • Shoutoku Legend ~ True Administrator
    • Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess

I just wish I was a fast learner with these games.

You are a fast learner, if your growth in the last few weeks can tell us anything. Now that UFO is over though, TD and DDC should ease your growth as you practice in them.

Actually, to get a Game Over in Practice Mode in MoF, SA or UFO, you have to die 10 times. That's right, you get 9 extra lives, which is more than you can actually obtain in MoF in normal gameplay, and is more than the cap in UFO. :newyears:

...wow, that's pretty ridiculous. I actually wanna see that replay to see how the hell he died so many times.

Wow, you're very close to 1ccing, then. Keep it up!

Oh, yeah, this too.

I forgot that Kalas-chan didn't have an acceptable-slowdown 1cc yet

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

Laser of Seventeen Articles is imo the toughest spell in the game (though it's probably the easiest from all the toughest spells of all games). For Normal Mode, you should at least be prepared to bomb skip it.

Youmu has it especially tough, because trying to maintain frequent charged slashes while dodging the cards is a nightmare...

I'll probably spell practice it a few times.

Wow, you're very close to 1ccing, then. Keep it up!

Maybe now I can get that 1cc you were clamoring for, which I also want

Oh, yeah, this too.

I forgot that Kalas-chan didn't have an acceptable-slowdown 1cc yet

hehe, look above.

Is senpai challenging me?

Edited by Setsuna Sakurazaki

Try to do away with that mindset.

It took me like a year until I was finally able to 1cc some of the games on Normal, and it took me several more until I started being able to clear Extras and 1cc Hard Modes. Hell, I still haven't beaten UFO Extra or 1cc'd UFO Hard.

You gotta give it time. Even if you put all your heart into practicing, taking months until you finally get that 1cc in certain games is perfectly normal.

Don't play to win. Play to have fun. So what if you don't 1cc a game right away? Isn't it still fun to just dodge all those bullets as best as you can?

Also, taking breaks is fine. Don't force yourself to play if it isn't fun, you'll just ruin the games for yourself. Come back to them later and give them another go; believe me, it works wonders.

My problem is that I have the mindset to be good at everything possible. I always want to do the very absolute best in any game I play. Everything must be perfect. Then I got to these games...

Also, I'm way too competitive for my own good. I want to outperform others at things since I want to be recognized as a master. I know this will take me months of practice, and I assure everyone I will try my hardest, but...having this mindset of "I have to be the best, and if I'm not, screw it all" really hurts me.

My teacher pointed this out to me when another's kid in my class worked faster than me on a Microsoft Publisher assignment. I lost the motivation to do anything for days.

@ZM: I think I know what you mean; I'm a bit like that, too.

Still, you can't become a master at something in mere hours or days. Especially not at Touhou. It's just not possible, and where would the fun in it be if it was?

Rather than trying to become the best at it right away, set some goals for yourself that are more reasonably withhin your grasp.

For instance:

Beat a game on Easy. Just beat it, using continues is fine.

Then, try beating it without continues.

Next, try beating a game on Normal. Again, using continues is fine.

Then try to 1cc it.

...and so on. Adding small side-goals can also help, like trying to figure out how to capture a spell that's giving you trouble. IN, TD and DDC are especially good for this since they offer Spellcard Practice.

Basically, rather than aiming for one huge success that you won't reach anytime soon, aim for a long road of many small successes. It's important to have some small achievements like that every once in a while to stay motivated.

...wow, that's pretty ridiculous. I actually wanna see that replay to see how the hell he died so many times.

Sadly i didn't record it

If I manage to do that (or at least the same but after getting to Aya) again, I'll remember to save a replay

Edited by Sety.

Sadly i didn't record it

If I manage to do that (or at least the same but after getting to Aya) again, I'll remember to save a replay

Yes, your Stage 4 FAIL must be made public to all of SF!

Also, I decided to try Stage 4 Practice Mode, just in case it helps you get better at it: http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=32791

Stage parts were perfect-cleared aside from a bomb to Momiji (I swear, ReimuB's high power would've finished Momiji off long before this). Aya had an unavoidable Crossroads bomb and a really silly tree leaves death.

Hey I can't even do that yet, they are fun but I definitely know it can be pretty frustrating.

That doesn't count, because you don't know how to bomb, and bombing is one of the key elements of Touhou gameplay. Edited by Railgun

Yes, your Stage 4 FAIL must be made public to all of SF!

Also, I decided to try Stage 4 Practice Mode, just in case it helps you get better at it: http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=32791

Stage parts were perfect-cleared aside from a bomb to Momiji (I swear, ReimuB's high power would've finished Momiji off long before this). Aya had an unavoidable Crossroads bomb and a really silly tree leaves death.

How NOT to play Touhou

Oh, thanks!

@ZM: I think I know what you mean; I'm a bit like that, too.

Still, you can't become a master at something in mere hours or days. Especially not at Touhou. It's just not possible, and where would the fun in it be if it was?

Rather than trying to become the best at it right away, set some goals for yourself that are more reasonably withhin your grasp.

For instance:

Beat a game on Easy. Just beat it, using continues is fine.

Then, try beating it without continues.

Next, try beating a game on Normal. Again, using continues is fine.

Then try to 1cc it.

...and so on. Adding small side-goals can also help, like trying to figure out how to capture a spell that's giving you trouble. IN, TD and DDC are especially good for this since they offer Spellcard Practice.

Basically, rather than aiming for one huge success that you won't reach anytime soon, aim for a long road of many small successes. It's important to have some small achievements like that every once in a while to stay motivated.

Right...

First things first, I'm gonna clear TD on Easy. Then after that, I'll try to 1cf it on Easy. After that, MoF on Easy, and so on and so forth.

I was so intent on winning everything possible, and I just realized it was more of a chore instead of having fun. I need to start off nice and easy...and having fun while doing it.

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=32790

Take my garbage replay

20% me not playing in a month

20% more random deaths

60% dying constantly because forgot the order of spells and how to avoid them because I hadn't played it in forever

BLAH

I'm currently watching it. I think you've done great so far.

I DIED IN STAGE 5 IN THE FAR RIGHT OF THE SCREEN BECAUSE I RAN DIRECTLY INTO A BULLET THAT I SAW WAS THERE

NO

I DIED IN STAGE 5 IN THE FAR RIGHT OF THE SCREEN BECAUSE I RAN DIRECTLY INTO A BULLET THAT I SAW WAS THERE

NO

And you death bombed in stage four, as in saving your life at the last possible moment.

no

I bombed on Meiling which is terrible because literally I never bomb her ever

And I died on Patchy I think

I never die on Patchy

I've died by colliding with a boss after already having defeated it. More than once. :newyears:

We all have silly deaths every now and then. Don't take it too seriously and just laugh about it!

Right...

First things first, I'm gonna clear TD on Easy. Then after that, I'll try to 1cf it on Easy. After that, MoF on Easy, and so on and so forth.

1cf? You mean 1cc, right? But this sounds like a good plan. I'm still unsure if MoF would be appropriate for a second game, but we can worry about that later.

I heard the Mountain of Faith spell is tougher on EASY MODO than on Normal Mode though, good luck with that!

I was so intent on winning everything possible, and I just realized it was more of a chore instead of having fun. I need to start off nice and easy...and having fun while doing it.

This is where the problem lies. Touhou is a video game series, and a game is meant to be played in order to have fun. If you're playing because you want to become a master or you want some big achievements, then you're doing it wrong. While a goal is definitely necessary to direct your motivation, the actual purpose of playing should be in experiencing the pursuit of that goal, not in the attainment of the goal itself. Focus on the journey itself, not on arriving at the destination, even though the presence of a target destination is necessary for a journey.

I've already explained before how this is different from Microsoft Publisher skills and such, because Microsoft Publisher is a tool that is used for the purpose of completing certain tasks in a certain way. The end-product is what matters here. For video games, it's different, since they're designed for the fun of playing them.

Oh, hey, a Jprebs replay. Gotta watch it now. At this rate, I'll never finish the lab report due today

Edited by Railgun

I died by getting hit with a bullet after beating the boss a couple of times already...

I got a Game Over that way after beating the final boss. :newyears: