Numerous generic enemy entries in character list

Topaz Light

This has probably been asked and answered before, but perusing the character editor shows that there are a dozen or so entries for each generic enemy faction. (Quite a lot of some of them, too; I think there were something like 35 Bandit entries). What are these used for?

Or rather, how are generic enemies set up such that so many character slots are necessary?

Additionally, would it be possible to trim down the number of slots used by making only as many sets of entries as there would ever be generic factions on a map at one time, and setting their names and descriptions to reference lists to determine what text to display based on variables that would be changed each chapter in accordance with the various generic factions that would be present?

Edited by Starlight36

There are quite a few that are used over the course of multiple chapters, such as two of the Black Fang entries, one is used for regular enemies and the other for droppable items, and those two are probably used in at least 10 chapters exclusively. The majority of the others seem to be used in Lyn mode, which hints to me that the designers didn't know what they were doing with the new character system at first so they just kept using different character slots for every chapter "just in case" when this in fact wasn't needed. Unless you have a niche going, like say one chapter all the enemies have 8 RES higher than usual, the only thing you really need is one enemy and one enemy that drops an item, and you can reuse it every chapter unless you're switching to a new enemy name roster, such as how the player starts off fighting bandits, then moves on to "Mercenary" and "Black Fang" and "Morph" as the game progresses.

This is further demonstrated by the fact that the number of used characters slots is more than halved in FE8. Tons of free enemy space in there, which bodes well for my next hack '3'

Edited by Klokinator

Ah, that's fantastic, actually. I've been wanting to make a hack with a large-scale storyline (and a cast to match) and I was hoping there'd be room for it all in the in-game character list. If I'll only need to use two character slots per generic faction, that opens up a lot of space for named characters.

Thanks!