Promoted unit growth rates...

Kysafen

Promoted Unit Growth Rates...  

12 members have voted

1. 1. If promoted unit growth rates were affected, what would have the best balance?

• The same growth rates as the unpromoted unit; the lowered exp gains balance out their promotion gains.
    • 0-15% higher growths for promoted units; the lower EXP gains would balance out with unpromoted units, and make prepromoted units more viable for their growths.
    • 0-15% lower growths for promoted units; the initial promotional gains would be counteracted by long-term usability.
    • Higher growths for some stats, lower growths for others; it's called a "class change" for a reason.

So I'm doing an easy Nightmare edit of Shadow Dragon, and after editing enemy luck growths to counteract higher critical hit rates, I took a look at promoted units' growths, and wondered just how the gameplay could be affected by different growth rates for promoted units. I mean, look at FE4 Leaf and FE5's Dalshin/Machyua. These units became pretty different from their unpromoted counterparts, and (in the case of FE5, anyway), begged the question: is it worth the extra levels of growths before promoting at level 20, or having a much better unit now and affecting growths in the long run?

Or maybe I'm asking the wrong question: should it vary by class/game, and if so, what classes from what games should be affected?

Are you asking whether unpromoted units should have higher or lower growths upon promotion? Because I think they should stay the same - promotion is already balanced as a matter of choosing between short term benefits of an early promotion and long term benefits of getting those extra levels, as long as the game's enemies aren't crap.

In games with branched promotions I could see growth changes (it already happens in Awakening, right?), but the total growth rate should stay the same regardless.

"Balance" in single player game...

As in, deciding to use prepromotes vs promoted, or whether to use the numerous same types of units you get vs. others, based on their personal growths unit really doesn't hit into his/her prime until the promoted growths.

For instance, consider lowering Draug's base DEF, raising his DEF/Strength growths, and for Roger to have slightly lower base/growth DEF, but give him better speed growths and a better strength base. Then I'd boost the DEF growth and lower the Speed growth of Generals. See? You could use Draug as someone that'd max out DEF early onward, but wouldn't have very good speed room to grow when promoted to a General, whereas Roger would be the kind of unit you'd want to consider whether you should keep his speed growths, or decide whether or not you'd want his DEF growths sooner. So it'd be "someone that dishes out attack and defense in spades" vs "not bad defense and not getting doubled/doubling other units", coupled with consistent attack growth, lower speed growth, but higher DEF growth. You'd want to keep Draug unpromoted in the hope of raising his speed to not get doubled in mid/endgame, but you'd have a greater inclination to promote Roger early if his speed stat is good enough to begin compensating for his lower DEF growths.

If you're fixing anything, make it so bishops and sages don't randomly get 10% less mag growth than mages. Or at least let Sages stay better than Bishops.

Also bases > growths anyway so if you're really asking in a game like SD I'd rather just keep decent bases and let growths be whatever the fuck.