Wanted to take one step into custom sprites, but...

Levin64

Hi, Levi here.

I want to ask something...

Well, I think making splices is kind of fun for me, but I always want more, because I have a difficulty for making different body proportions....

So maybe I can go into custom!

But the problem is, I don't know how to make a custom sprite...

I read the tutorial not long ago, but I'm still confused...

Can someone teach me how to make one? T_T

Maybe because I don't really understand the proportion or something?
Please I want to know....

"The" tutorial, as in which one? The one by Asvel?

The only way you're going to get good at customs is to just fuckin' start a thing and let people tear it to shreds, then try fixing it, and making more. It's a process of trial and error, and LOTS OF FUCKING PRACTICE. So just start. We'll help you, but we can't promise to be entirely nice about it along the way. Just don't give up, and take as much critique into consideration as possible. It's just a thing you develop a knack for after awhile.

One thing I started doing when I was first doing customs is to find a vanilla sprite that you like, remove all of the details except like, a pixel or two where the eyebrows/eyes/nose used to be, and leave the border outline, and try to fill in the blanks with custom stuff. That way you still have a guide and you can reference the original sprite for angles and stuff while still making near original work

Knowing anatomy helps too or using photo reference

You're going to have to make some pretty ridiculous custom sprites starting out. It's trial and error, you'll fail many times but thats how we learn and in the process you might just develope your own unique style. :3c

Edited by Meroqua

My method usually involves just drawing something in mspaint with the Pencil tool at a small scale, then gradually adding in details and pixeling them out, then adding base colors and shading. So basically just drawing except with boxes.

For the proportions, I usually make a box out of a pre-existing character whose face angle is similar by boxing their head off then adding lines at the brow ridge, eyes, hairline, nose, mouth, cheeks, ears, etc, depending on how much help I need in that area.

The box usually ends up looking something like attached.

post-13080-0-76963600-1421651054.png

(This wasn't done based on a particular portrait and is in no way representative of an actual facebox done on FE faces.)

process.png

A sort of progress pic? idk

please don't bill this as trying to be FE-styled; I didn't even take a skin color palette from FE. Also, I'm too lazy to color the hair.
Also I can find a ton of defects with it but yeah. It should be somewhat representative of some sort of method.

ALSO, try to observe other mugs to see what they do to achieve a certain effect. Like how FE mugs have the hair stopping at a certain point, but it looks like it continues because of the skin being shaded next to it, resulting in an illusory thin continuing strand of hair.

Edited by Yasako